Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zendrum controlling my Yamaha DTXtreme IIS  (Read 1430 times)

funky_d

Zendrum controlling my Yamaha DTXtreme IIS
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »

Hey,
I just got my Zen Yesterday and I have a question... How do I control the synth sounds in my DTXtreme IIS? I can't seem to put my finger on it, it only lets me control drum sounds on channel 10. The DTX has regular MIDI  on channel 1 to 9 , but i can't play them. Please, any Zenners out there who use the DTXtreme IIS, give me a hint. Yamaha is great sound and quality, but they lack a little in ease of use (at least to me.)
Thanks,

FunKyD

jeff sanders

Re: Zendrum controlling my Yamaha DTXtreme IIS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »

you can set the midi transmit channel number on the zendrum to another channel besides 10 but i believe you can transmit on 1 midi channel at a time only.  hope this helps
jeff

funky_d

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:11:50 PM »

I've tried switching the midi channel on the Zen, anything besides out on channel ten is silent. However,  I can access the sounds in the Yami by using a MIDI keyboard instead of the Zendrum. What does that mean.  I switch 'em and there is sound...

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »

Hi there.

I have a DTX 2.0... Yamaha's probably changed some things between our two boxes but I've dealt with similar issues.  hopefully this can help:

My first piece of advice would be to check the polarity function of the sustain button on the back of your Zendrum.  if it's set to sustain notes when pressed, that's why you're not getting sounds out of the ZX control--the ZX is sending the Note Off message too quickly.  Set the sustain button to its cutoff feature (under the PL command on the Zendrum menu), and now you'll get sound, but you'll have to deal with the problem of not being able to turn the sounds OFF unless you hit that button.  If your Yamaha works like my Yamaha than this would be a good time to get friendly with your Alternate Group settings--if you're unfamiliar with the term it means setting notes to cut off one another.

This is probably why you can get the sounds with your keyboard controller; the Note On/Note Off parameters are set differently on keyboards than a Zendrum.

In my DTX, there's a few settings under the regular Channel 10 drum voice edits that cover keys and strings and bass, etc... if you're finding the Alternate Group/sustain thing a little too much, that might be a quicker fix.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

-Jaay
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:36:36 PM by Jaay »
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up