Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CME Widi  (Read 4542 times)

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
CME Widi
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »

I picked up the CME wireless midi unit, mostly because it was $169., and I didn't have the cash to shell out for a midijet pro.  it comes with two widi units, and a couple of short midi cables.  My first impressions are that it does what it is supposed to, I'm not sure of the range, but it does let me go out in the crowd, and hear the house mix from out front before the show.  This unit is not built like a tank (of course I compare it to the merge brick, which is a tank).  I got what I paid for.  The housing is plastic, and so are the switches for on/off and a couple of channel choices.  It doesn't seem like it would hold up to any abuse, so I am careful with it. 

One nice feature is that it can be powered off usb, if you're using a computer.  I used this feature when I was running bfd off my macbook.  It also doesn't eat through batteries very quickly, each unit takes two AA's, and they seem to last a looong time. There is an led indicator that glows red if it is on with no signal, and green when the two units see each other.

I would like the on/off switches and the channel switch to be easier to read, it gets confusing on a dark stage.

Overall the widi is acceptable.  I've got wireless for less than 200 clams, and it does what I want.

"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

ZenGarden

Re: CME Widi
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that great price?

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »

I'm always looking for a bargain.  I saw this in last September at PSSL, but they weren't in stock yet.  I placed my order, figuring someone had screwed up the price, and they sent it to me for that price when they finally got them several months later.

Make friends with someone at your local music store.  I always pay hundreds less than what guitar center advertises on higher end stuff, because I built a  working relationship with a salesman, and when he left to manage a store, he passed me to his friend.  They know I spend money, and they'll give me a good deal. 
They tell me they're quoting me 5% over wholesale.  I know that is not true, but I've gotten some good deals along the way.   If I see that deal on a widi again, I'll let you know. I just happened across that deal online.
Kurt Vonnegut

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »

I think the main difference is that the midair has a max range of 30 feet without obstruction, and the Widi is rated for 260 feet. 
Kurt Vonnegut

jeff sanders

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:58:24 PM »

i ebayed a midair this morning before i read this, dang. that extra coverage is well worth its cost. ill see if the seller also sells the widi maybe not too late to upgrade.
thanx for info

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »

Hi there!  I know this is an old topic, but I'm considering picking this one up. 

Here's where Jaay asks a stupid question: the copy for this product reads "without obstructions".  You mentioned going out into the house and checking mixes; so I'm assuming obstructions don't mean things like people or covering the unit with the PDA cover you mentioned.  Could you confirm this for me?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »

i picked up one of these units last week.  I just wanted to add my positive endorsement.  Range is about 260 feet according the literature. 

I thought the signal was slightly stronger in terms of velocity when I went direct, but the difference is easily corrected at the soundboard.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up