Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveling with the Zendrum  (Read 1943 times)

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Traveling with the Zendrum
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »

Greetings one and all, it has been quite some time since I posted anything here. Anyway... I just returned from Aspen, Colorado where I played several John Denver Tribute Shows (Yes John Denver) over the past week. And at the top of the list.. the ZENDRUM of course, a 49 note M-Audio keyboard controller, and a 4 space travel rack w/an attached luggage cart. 

For the Zendrum I picked up a Pelican 1700 Series case which worked out PERFECT. In the case.. The ZENDRUM ZX, Battery box, MIDI JET PRO MIDI wireless, short cables, straps, and extra batteries. The pelican is an EXCELLENT case for the ZENDRUM. It is worth the investment to pick one up.

In the 4 space Rack (made by GATOR CASES). A rack Power Strip, An ALESIS DM-PRO, A Korg TRINITY "rack" synth module, and a Whirlwind 4 ch. Rack DI. Remebering John Emerich priding himself about taking his rig as carry-on in a plane is why I went this route. A little "FYI" about air planes. Do not get a rack larger than 4 spaces. A 4 space rack will fit in the "carry-on" compartments abpve the seats of most jet airliners. Except when I went from Denver to Aspen. I had to take a "puddle hopper" (that's a small plane to you and me) from Denver to Aspen in which I had to check it, but it did survive just fine.

As mentioned I took an M-Audo keyboard controller with me but no keyboard stand.  I did not want to deal with a keyboard stand losse on the plane.  What did I do you ask....  Did I buy a cheap keyboard stand??  Ummm.... NO. I improvised the following ways...

Gig #1: A 100+ year old church. Found a walker (yes for old people) extended the legs and it worked very well. The rubber grip handles on the top of the rails kept it from moving, not to mention an easy way to channel cables. Good stuff

Gig #2: Restaraunt.  I stacked 3 wooden "hide-chairs" (baby seats) with gaffers tape on the arm rests to keep it from sliding. Also good stuff

Gig #3: Small hotel ballroom: Restaraunt style fold out "food tray stand". That didn't suck either.  ;D

I had a total of three things to "schlep" around town for the week. Sound and the nessecary back line gear was provided at all of the venues. Just thought I would share that with the masses.  I will try and post pictures sometime soon. Take care and stay safe, Markl

Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Traveling with the Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »

Hi Mark, 

Sounds like you had a great time! 

A little "FYI" about air planes. Do not get a rack larger than 4 spaces. A 4 space rack will fit in the "carry-on" compartments abpve the seats of most jet airliners.

Let me also add that you need to try and keep the rack depth down to no more than 16".  I have started to pack my rack up into a large Pelican case.  You never know when a flight attendant is going to require you to put it under the plan.  It can cost a little more in overweight baggage fees, but it is safe.  The extra fees have never been a problem for me, because it is still less than having to rent anything on the other end.  If you are traveling for a "gig" it can and should be reimbursed anyway.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »

Hello John, Thanks for the reminder about rack depth. Yes the gigs went very well and a good time was had by all.   I was dubbed with the nick name of "button boy" as a result of the zen triggers. This knick name has traveled with me across the US since a show in New Hampshire last year.  I was also asked once again.... "WHAT IS THAT THING YOUR PLAYING??" All good stuff, take care and stay safe, Mark.

ghostman74

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »

I'm going to start talking to Pelikan about a custom case for my ZX. I have a couple guys on my team that actually evaluated Pelikan vs. other cases and Pelikan came up on top. They are more than willing to custom cut the foam for you, too.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »

Hey Ghostman. Interesting info about the custom cutting. However, if you pick up one of those "hobby knives" . that kind that you can snap the blade off when it gets dull. Those should be more than sharp enough.  I carefully traced mine out with a sharpie and it worked out fine. I also was able to cut places for my MIDI JET PRO, Battery box, and  I cut both pieces of foam (deep pocket concept) for the Strap, cables, etc.  If they are willing to do it, and it is not going to kill you price wise, GREAT.   I will work on getting pics posted. The only think I think I will wind up doing is gluing the two pieces of foam together so the top piece does not scome out when I take out the Zen. Outside of that the CASE ROCKS!!

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

I got a pelican case for my td-20, and if I have to fly the Zen, will definitely pick up a pelican for that (the case, not the bird,).
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 04:59:15 AM »

Just jump on the grenade and get one. Just as good for around town

Pages: [1]   Go Up