Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Drummers  (Read 6942 times)

Trumgottist

• Tribal Pledge
  • Bassoonist
    • View Profile
    • My website
Favourite Drummers
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »

Name some of your favourite drummers/percussionists!

I thought this subject could be interesting. Both as a bit of an introduction topic ("who are these people posting here?") and as education ("who should I listen to if I want to hear some good drumming?").

I'll go first, but as I'm new to the field of drumming, my choices may not be so interesting. They are probably known to all reading this anyway.

Phil Collins. My knowledge of drummers is still small, but here's one almost everybody knows, and I like him. As far as I can tell, he does not only make great songs and sing well, but seems to be a capable drummer as well. I recently bought his big band CD, where his only contribution is to play the drums. It's not the best big band I've ever heard, but it's good stuff.

Future Man. Not a surprising choice, eh? I'm a big fan of B├ęla Fleck and the Flecktones, and a web search looking for something like the Drumitar was what brought me here.

Special Mention: Kroumata. One of the very best classical ensembles we have in Sweden (the world?).

boismenu

Re: Favourite Drummers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »

When I was a teenager (late 70s early 80s) my idol was Neil Peart. He still is in my list but as years went by I developed a different taste for drumming. Back then I also loved Keith Moon work.
If I look back at the music (and drummers I liked) I end up with this list:
Mic Fleetwood
Kenny Aronof
Manu Kache (with P Gabriel)
Jim Chamberlain (Smashin Pumpkins)
Phil Collins in very early Genesis
Carlton Barret (The Wailers)
And the number 1 IMHO, the one that made me desire to play drums: Sir Ringo Starr.

I have many others that I like but the list above are the ones that I can remember inspired or affected my drumming in one way or another.
Pierre

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:23:06 AM »

Rod Morgenstein
Play nice.

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:25:08 AM »

Here are drummers I admire & enjoy, off the top of my head:

Ustad Zakir Hussein, and his father Alla Rakha
Glen Velez, Lynn Redmond, Olatunje
Hussain Ramsey
Mickey Hart, Brent Lewis
Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, Ginger Bake

- Mark

jeff sanders

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »

1970 8 years old:  grandfunk railroads guy, three dog nights dude, ccr fellow = groovers, butt shakers

1980 18 years old:  peart, bruford, tulls guys, zappas guys = complex, jaw drop performances

1990 28 years old:  world influences: reggae, jazz/blues, freestyle jam = diverse, spontaneous

2007 45 years old:  balance all of the above in a solid dynamic musical conveyance = still working on that  :)

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »

If you like Phil Collins, then you have to check out Bill Bruford because he was picked up by Genesis for a tour, (and was hand picked by Collins) to play with Genesis when Peter Gabriel went onto his solo career. He still is one of my very favorites. Very tasteful. He has alot of jazz influence and was able to bring it into the progressive rock and jazz fusion world very well. Good Luck. Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

total noobie

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

Cool Topic! 

Danny Carey from the band Tool is by far my favorite drummer by far.  He is rediculously talented.  Here is a cool little clip from youtube that shows him playing one of my favorite songs Lateralus  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9wLBA.  Ticks and Leeches is also one to check out, you may not like the screaming but the drumming is insane. 

I'm also a big fan of Godsmack.  They have some amazing percussions.  Check out Batalla De Los Tambores (Drum Battle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtmMgYQ7Ngs with Shannon Larkin and Sully Erna on Bongos.  Sully used to be a drummer and is the singer of Godsmack. 

Cheers,
TN

timecutter

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »

Thanks for posting the YouTube links - great stuff!

M

jeff sanders

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »

tool guy jamz. watching the vid of him playing the part makes it seem all too simple now. illusion of difficulty gone thanx.

total noobie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 03:01:39 PM »

tool guy jamz. watching the vid of him playing the part makes it seem all too simple now. illusion of difficulty gone thanx.

It is amazing how the true masters make things look so simple, be it music or sports or whatever.  It still looks difficult to me.  I saw Tool in concert last year and Danny Carey didn't miss a note. 

Here is another youtube vid of the Tool song I mentioned above "Ticks & Leeches".  It is not done by Danny, but this guy plays the song extremely well.  I wish there was a video like this with DC playing for comparison.  Enjoy!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigyYZ5VTvo&mode=related&search=

jeff sanders

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:43 PM »

damn i didnt read that it wasnt him before i watched, i thought it was him until i replied and read the whole thing.  both kikbutz. i really like the toms hellabig sound on the ticks and leeches one.  i couldnt see a module or a computer in sight. probably sitting on a stack of receptors  :)
thanx4link

It is amazing how the true masters make things look so simple, be it music or sports or whatever.┬  It still looks difficult to me.┬  I saw Tool in concert last year and Danny Carey didn't miss a note.┬ 

Here is another youtube vid of the Tool song I mentioned above "Ticks & Leeches".┬  It is not done by Danny, but this guy plays the song extremely well.┬  I wish there was a video like this with DC playing for comparison.┬  Enjoy!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigyYZ5VTvo&mode=related&search=

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

When I was just a wee cabin boy, just learning the ropes and how to bang on an acoustic drumset, I listened to the greats, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, Max Roach, Mel Chain, Don Ghent, et al.  Alas, I be the last man standing as all of these greats sadly are no longer with us.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Adamward

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 03:39:08 AM »

My favourite drummer is Mike Portnoy. Hope so  everybody know him..

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:59 AM »

I would say Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, and Neil Peart for me.  I have moved away from listening to Rush like I used to, but love the finesse of Phil and Chester, not so much in your face drums like Peart.  I guess I am just getting older.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »

I got to see Buddy Rich twice and all I could say was WOW! Another one of my favorites would have to be Daniel Seraphine from the band Chicago Thumper
Thumper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up