Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LT vs. ZX  (Read 3067 times)

Lunatique

LT vs. ZX
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »

I've been thinking about getting a Zendrum for years now, and I'm getting very close to caving in. I have a Ddrum4 system, and it simply just doesn't have enough trigger inputs, and setting up the MIDI mapping with software drum modules is a PITA.  I can drum pretty well on a keyboard, but doing fast repeating notes on one key is not very effective on the keyboard--especially rolls and flams. I'm one of those people who loves drumming on the steering wheel while driving, or on my lap while just sitting around waiting for a doctor's  appointment (or worse, on my desk while at the office). That is why I think I'll love the Zendrum, since I'm already very good at drumming with my fingers/palm.

So, the only question is really just which one to get. I'll be using it to record a lot while sitting down (I'm primarily a composer who plays drums, guitar, keyboards), since I'll need to be close to a mouse/keyboard when operating my sequencer (I use Sonar PE) while recording, and that leads me to think a LT will be best for me. But at the same time, I'm also a guitar player, and I like the idea of being able to hold it like a guitar; however, the ZX might not be as ergonomic when I need to be recording while sitting down? I do not play live, so I have no concerns about live performances. In fact, I don't really get up much when I'm recording, since I'm always operating the sequencer, so standing up is just too much of a hassle. My other concern is that the ZX has 4 triggers on the top/bottom edge, while the LT only has 3. Is that a distinct advantage for the ZX? Also, which one has more flexibility in terms of ergonomics/layout?

Any advice/opinions will be welcome.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: LT vs. ZX
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:17:07 AM »

There is no good answer here.  They're just different.

Noting that, the LT was really designed more for sitting.  Hence the name.  The ZX is difficult to hold while sitting.
Play nice.

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »

I had the same dilemma when I was in your position. There is no right answer. If you went down to Atlanta to see David at the shop, you could try both styles and see which you like better. I think the laptop lends itself well to mapping if you are used to real drums and it may be better for the person who likes to sit. Based on what you said, I personally think the laptop would work well for you. Either way, you will be so thrilled with having one of these babies. Good Luck. Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

boismenu

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »

The ZX is much easier to play if you put it on top of a desk or table than if you put it on your lap. All pads are easily reachable although I do admit you have to mode your hands more than if you were playing the LT.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »

I own both and would say the LT is better in my opinion for sitting. And you can also use the LT standing up.

Cheers,
Steve

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »

I agree they both are nice I have the LT and love it.  I play guitar most of the time so I have my LT on a stand. most of the time it sits in my music room on the stand ready for writing and recording and I really enjoy it for laying down rythm  tracks while writing on the guitar
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

I have to put in a plug for the ZX.  I use it sitting down at home a lot, and it works very well in this position.  It really excels on a strap...it looks so cool, and is wide enough for guitar-style holding and movement.

BTW, I just ordered a Laptop too...you should do the same.  Get one of each!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up