Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD AND MUSE Receptor Videos  (Read 15455 times)

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: BFD AND MUSE Receptor Videos
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:57:49 AM »

No "Magic Bullet" for you!  ;D  If it works for you, then keep doing it!

Roland keyboards are nice, but it is still compressed PCM data.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31:27 PM »

Thanks John!

Guess I'll have to save up for that MUSE.  You will let us know when you get a "turnkey" solution worked out with Alternate Mode won't you??

Regards,

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:12 PM »

The "Turn Key" system will not be with Alternate Mode.  And Yes!  I will post it here first.

There is a new company on the horizon. :o

John
John Emrich

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:39:45 AM »

You might want to try the Roland TD-20.  It has HH inputs as well as some great HH sounds.  Currently I do not use a foot pedal (I use a standard Zendrum ZX and prefer to stand when playing, and don't have the white crane ability to stand on one foot while operating a HH pedal at lightening speed at the same time).  So what I do is have a half open HH assigned to one pad and a clsed HH sound on an adjacent pad.  This works really well for me when playing a jazz groove.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy!
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 07:14:57 AM »

Thanks Pyrate,

The OP/CL triggers are what I'm using right now and I'm mildly able to pull it off (except when I'm singin' and zennin').  I had thought about using the Zen as a stand-up when singing and as a sit-down replacement for the TrapKat when not singing.  I love the samples I'm getting from my Fantom X rackmount unit but it falls short in the ability to make a hi-hat pedal work. Looks like it would take a more "drummer friendly" sound module.

Maybe I should work harder on getting the op/cl trigger thing happening and spend less time trying to tie myself down to a foot pedal !!!

Regards,

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 03:32:11 PM »

If you have found a closed cymbal sound in a drum bank for the Fantom, then the open sound should only be one note away.

John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:39 AM »

Yes.  They are only one note number apart.  ...but as far as I know, I still have to use two separate buttons on the Zen. Right?  ...and the Fantom doesn't have the capability to use the hi-hat controller pedal in conjunction with one pad?  I remember someone (maybe on your resources web site?) who had a method to make the DM Pro work but I have not figured out a way to make this work on my rig.

BTW John,  I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help others.  I considered myself half-way technical about Midi and sampling, but I am learning a lot from your posts in these forums!

Regards,

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 02:47:43 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

Most Zendrummers are using two trigger pads for the HH.  One closed and one open.  You can adjust the open length by triggering a closed to stop the sound.  You could try and do it with velocity switching on the Zendrum, but that is very difficult to play!

John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 03:17:12 PM »

Yeah, I do enough of a chop job trying to get my fingers to land on the right pads and have velocity control with my fingers only in the general sense of is everything soft or everything hard.  I really liked the way the rhythms sounded when you were using pedals but i also really like being able to get right down into places where I can interact better with the audience.  Of course, the band keeps letting me know that just because I CAN hit more pads I should still keep it simple!!!

It's really ironic how much "churn" is caused by having options enabled by the Zen that seem to challenge the traditional roles given to drummers!

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 05:15:16 PM »

When I use a pedal for closed HH sounds, it is only a copy of the trigger on the Zendrum.  You don't need it to get the sounds.  I use it sometimes if I am playing some really wild stuff.  Most of the time it just sits there.

The bottom line for me is the GROOVE!

John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »

I never thought of that!!  Do you plug it into the Zen or do you use an input on the sound source?

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »

My pedal goes into an Alesis DM5, which is used only for trigger to MIDI.  I sometimes have three or four pedals on the floor for different things.  The Zendrum and the DM5 are MIDI merged together and into the MUSE.

John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »

Sounds like it's time for me to do some experimenting!  That could get me away from plugging cords into the Zen and I wouldn't have to worry about my Roland kick trigger not being hot enough for the input on the Zen.  Since it's just a mini thing to have tht closed hat note cut off the open hat note, I could use a trigger on the D4 for that too!  I think this may allow me to taks a "back seat" in the band when I'm not on lead vocals and get more traditional "drum grooves" going (that's what the band is complaining about right now -- my fingers get real busy and sometimes they lose the beat!).

It's amazing what triggers the old light bulb!  Thanks for your help!

Regards,

...Rod

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »

Avast there!  Singing AND Zenning.  I never have to worry about that.  I play drums because I can't sing worth a darn.  Arrggghhhhh!!!

Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »

Yeah.  It's been a confusing life!  When I'm only singing, I'd rather be playing drums.  When I'm only playing drums, I'd raher be singing.  Only way to stop the confusion was to do both!!!

...Rod
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up