Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD AND MUSE Receptor Videos  (Read 14365 times)

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
BFD AND MUSE Receptor Videos
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:29:46 PM »

Hello All,

Welcome back to the new and improved forum!  Geo has done an outstanding job with this site.

I have added a multimedia section to my web site, www.johnemrich.com.  After talking with David, I would like to extend an invitation to all of you Zendrummers to check out the videos on my site. 

I am willing to share all that I know about this topic.  Software is the future of electronic drumming and the Zendrum is by far the most expressive tool that a drummer can use.  The dynamics of BFD are a perfect match for the capabilities of the Zendrum.  If you have questions, I will do my best to give you straight, honest answers and help to take the sting out of software drumming.  It is easier to upgrade and cheaper in the long run.  You can also turn your Zendrum into any instrument that you dream up.

Hope this helps.  Please enjoy the videos!

John Emrich

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:47:04 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

DrumLoard

Re: BFD AND MUSE Receptor Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »

These videos are Great!

I am new to the Zendrum site!  This is the best forum I have found!

Mr. Emrich is exceptional!  I even ordered a CD!

I'll be back.

Fusionary

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »

John,

Great videos, and thanks for the offer to help.  Maybe a Forum topic on Computer Music (or some name like it).  I have used Cakewalk w/SoundCanvas PC board and a MIDI keyboard, but am as lost when I see your setup, so I have a few questions:  What is the most basic setup to play the Zendrum thru a computer?  Is the Receptor necessary?  What are the minimum specs, etc?  Aside from BFD, what is the basic software needed?

Thanks again,

Luis

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:11:42 PM »

Luis,
A basic setup can be just about anything.  You need to be able to get MIDI into your computer.  There are a lot of products that you can use.  Look into the M-Audio interfaces.  You might be able to to it with your sound canvas.

You don't need a Receptor, but you do need POWER!  I would recommend 2gig and 7200 rpm drives.  The Receptor, in my opinion is the best way to go for what I do.  I fly all over the place and it is built tough.

With BFD, you don't need any other software.  You want to look for a stand alone program.  Otherwise, you will also need a host program, like your cakewalk.

I suggest www.gearslutz.com (computer music) and www.kvraudio.com for more info on computer music.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich

Fusionary

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:37:02 AM »

Thanks John.  I'm sure this will help, as well as the links.  I still have a question, though:  If the Receptor plays the VSi instruments, what is the laptop for?  Or maybe a better way to ask is, what is  the relationship between the laptop and the receptor?  Thanks/L.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:07:08 PM »

The lap top has remote control software in it.  You can use the front screen of the Receptor and you can also plug in a standard mouse/keyboard and monitor.  I also use the Laptop to push new programs into the Receptor. 

Live I don't need it at all.  It is just a lot easier to look at compared to a small display.

Hope this helps!
John
John Emrich

Fusionary

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:14:01 AM »

That's sweet!  Thanks a lot.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »

Hello All,

I just returned from the AES show in San Francisco.  The folks at SonicState.com put this video up for my new Percussion Pack on BFD.  Enjoy!

http://www.sonicstate.com/video/media/new_player.cfm?vfile=aessf06_fxpansion&id=546&vtype=mov&compoid=sdm

John
John Emrich

bjames

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »

Hey John,

I noticed in that AES promo, you are using what what appear to be a FAT KAT pedal and a HAT KAT.  Do you primarily use the pedals when playing the Zendrum?  Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding that application.

Thanks,

Brian

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 03:55:06 PM »

Yes I have pedals in my set up.  The two pedal in this video are FAT pedals.  For demoing at trade shows it helps people trying out the instrument for the first time. 

The way that I look at it, you should use everything at your disposal.  If I could get all 10 of my toes to work, then I would put another Zendrum on the floor. 

I do most of my playing with just my fingers, but after 30+ years of playing, I still want to use my feet for some things.

John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 12:35:30 PM »

John,

How are you using the HatKat as a hi-hat comntroller?  How do you tie the open/close to one trigger on the Zen?  I've been able to use the FATKAT as a Bass Drum Trigger but I can't figure out how to use a hi-hat pedal.  (BTW, I use a Roland Fantom-XR as a sound source)

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 12:56:36 PM »

The two pedal in this video are FAT pedals. 

When I play Zendrum, I use four of the triggers for HH sounds. (closed tip, closed shoulder, 1/4 shoulder, and open)  This combination, working with trigger groups allows me to get the response that I need.

That being said, A HH controller is a continuous controller.  There should not be any problems using it as such.  The main problem with HH control is within each of the companies modules.  Most vdrum brains need to see a pad plugged in to communicate with the pedal.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

I think the sound source is where my problem is.  There is no input on the Fantom X Rack mount for any kind of trigger/pad. and no hat controller input.  Does the Muse have that capability through "trigger groups"?

...justy researching my next sound module purchase -- Christmas is coming!

...Rod

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 03:47:04 PM »

Where are your drum sounds coming from?  If it is the Fantom, then the open HH sounds will close with the closed hit.  You might think about getting a drum module to help with dedicated HH control.

The Receptor will also work, but you need to get the CC messages into it.  All of the modules out there, as well as software drums will automatically group HH sounds together.

What are you using with your Zendrum?

John
John Emrich

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 07:31:19 AM »

I'm going midi out of the Zen into the Fantom XR. With the open hat assigned to one button on the Zen and Closed Hat assigned to another, things operate fine with the open hat note being stopped when I hit the closed hat button.  I guess I'm still looking for a magic bullet to hook up a foot controller and trigger open/close from one button -- just like I do on my TrapKat.  Probably not gonna happen?  Right now, i have not mastered the art of making hi-hat sounds on the Zen sound natural.  My opens/closes get all turned around!  BTW, The Fantom has really great multi-samples with excellent velocity control and a really good computer controlled interface.  Seems like ROLAND gives all the good stuff to keyboards and not to their drum controllers.

...Rod
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up