Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another td-20 question....Michael?  (Read 958 times)

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Another td-20 question....Michael?
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:59:55 am »

I was going to PM Michael Render on this one, but I though other folks might be interested in the reply.

I just ordered a td-20 for gigging.  I don't like carrying my macbook to some gigs, and I just can't afford a receptor at more than twice the price of a td-20 (I got a very good deal at Guitar Center).  I also really like the portable get up and go of a module.  Hopefully I can live with the sounds.

Anywhoo....What vexpressions kits do you recommend?  I'm playing indie rock, classiic rock type of music, mostly.  the master picks seem to be popular..what are your favorites?  I can't get them all, only 50 bucks worth.

Raven
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:02:25 am by Zenfem#9 »
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Another td-20 question....Michael?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:12:39 pm »

Raven,

I wouldn't recommend getting any at all!

You probably know, you are not getting more sounds...what you are getting is a set of kits "pre-tweaked" that incorporate the sounds you already have.  I am not saying they are not a good idea; it's just that I would rather make my OWN kits and tune drums, mix, etc. than pay for someone else's vision of a good sounding drumkit.

I had a TD-20 for about a year, and it isa great module...I'd say the best hardware drum module available. 

Jer

Michael Render

Re: Another td-20 question....Michael?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:32:55 am »

I disagree with zendrumdude. Sure you can tweak your own kits, but the VEx guys are experts. And they save you a lot of time and effort. I would much rather start with a kit they made and then adjust it to my liking. And not everyone has the knowledge of effects and compression and how it affects drum sounds. I find their packs a bargain.

Now as to which one to get - that is more tricky. The Master Picks are great for an all round collection of kits. These are based on specific drum kit models and sound really convincing. If you are not trying to sound llike anyone in particular, this is the way to go.

The Top 50 Drummers and Gigging Kits sound like specific drummers or bands. I you are in a cover band that wants to sound exactly (or pretty darn close) to the drums for the songs you are covering. You may want to look at these.

The other packs are very specific. Like classic jazz and big band or electronic.

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up