Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI hard-/software  (Read 3060 times)

Ingo

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
MIDI hard-/software
« on: June 26, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »

Hi!

I'm playing percussions since 1990. Sometimes I'm sad of transporting all the instruments. So I was looking for an electronic alternative. When I found Zendrum, I loved it immediately.  ;D My problem: I'm still a beginner with MIDI. When I did not miss anything, the Zendrum is a controller and needs any kind of additional MIDI hardware. I know that PC soundcards can play MIDI files, but I think I'll need additional software to play in realtime. Who can recommend any hard- or software (not to expensive for the beginning)?

Thanks!

Ingo.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: MIDI hard-/software
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:33:28 PM »

The Zendrum produces no sound by itself.  It needs to be hooked up to a MIDI soundsource.  This could be a PC, a keyboard or a drum machine.

You do not need a working knowledge of MIDI to use a Zendrum at all.

Finding a drum machine/drum module in your price range is a good place to start.  The Zendrum will sound as good as the module, so keep that in mind.
Play nice.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »

I would also recommend a module at this point.  Check Ebay and take your time getting into it.  Software is the future of edrumming but it is a lot to get a handle on right away.  Once you have worked with a module for a while, you can get into software.

With software ou need to consider all of the components, including interface devices and the computer itself because you will have to deal with latency issues.

Hope this helps and welcome to the community.
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Ingo

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »

OK then. I think I'll try a module first. Are there any requirements? Do the cables fit on any module? I'm actually having an eye on the Roland TD-6V.

Ingo.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:05:08 AM »

Any module with a MIDI in should do the trick.
Play nice.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »

I have a variety of drum modules, my favorite to date is the ALESIS DM Pro.  As stated elsewhere, E-bay will be your best source.  If you have not purcahsed the Roland module yet, I would hold off.  If you can do a little research as far as what the modules are capable of (Parameters, multiple audio outs, etc.)  Being an owner of a DM Pro, I am very happy with it.  I am not a person who likes manuals, so the DM Pro has made life easy in that aspect. Again it's all a matter of preference.  Good luck with your hunt. Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »

Arrrgghhhhh!!!  I had no MIDI experience when I ordered me Zendrum.  I'm just an old acoustic drummer.  But the restrictions of the housing community that I live in (not to mention space requirements of an acoustic set, or rather the lack thereof), sent me in the direction of the Zendrum.  I purchased much of my equipment (including my Korg Triton Rack) from Ebay.

Learning about MIDI is not that hard and the Internet has gobs of info on it.  plus there are the fine folks here at the Zendrum Forum.

For a stand alone module, I recommend the Roland TD-20.  It's not cheap, but it is easily transported and has alot of capability.   
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

funky_d

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »

Hey man,
Well here's my 2 cents on the whole MIDI Sound Module thing. Be very wary of the Roland... I HAVE owned several Roland products and now I own NONE. Roland seems to really price their stuff high. EXAMPLE: The newest top end Roland V-Kit is well over 5000, where as the Yamaha Equivalent (DTXtreme IIS) costs over $2400 LESS MONEY. Is the Roland better, HELL NO! My Yamaha DTXtreme IIS sounds fantastic, it can do sampling, doesn't have 60 or 70 useless "drum kits"  and is very reliable. You can get the Module only for the DTX (DTXT2SU) for around $900 (half the price of a  Roland TD-20) and the thing is absolutely amazing.
Another issue I have with Roland besides pricing is where they decide to cheap out to save a few cents here and there. For example, the power adapter for the V kit  is a flimsy piece of crap, a very expensive piece of crap, but not pro grade stuff. I have owned a V-kit and a HandSonic , sure they are fun to bang on, but I don't feel that they hold up well under the rigors of live performance (I was setting up and tearing down 6 nights a week) after just a few months they started to show the road wear.
My V-Kit Had a blow out one night and I waited two and a half months for a 45 cent part to come from Roland. They also tried to back out and say it wasn't covered by warranty, but I complained enough to enough people that they only ended up charging me around $150 instead of $450 - All for a piece that was defective, according to the Roland licensed repair guy who worked on it.
In short be very aware of what you are buying, and remember just cause it costs more doesn't mean its better. I know a few guys who have had some of the cheaper Roland kits, and they really didn't like the scaled down features included (small memory, pcm samples of real v drums, etc.)
So that's what I think,
If anyone cares...

FunKyD

Ingo

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 12:48:10 PM »

OK. After reading several tests I think an Alesis DM Pro would be a good choice.

How about not using a drum module, but a notebook? Does anybody know some good combinations of audio/midi interfaces and software?

Ingo

jeff sanders

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »

hi, i use mark of the unicorn's midi express xt. i got zendrum laptop, hpd15, dmpro and korg karma plugged into it. i use imac and been messing with the garageband drumkits. its my 1st setup so i cant compare but it seems fine to me. i went to various companies support forums and read up to see what owners said before i chose.  good luck
jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up