Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD WITH RECEPTOR VERSUS TD-20 VERSUS OTHER SOFTWARE " EXAMPLE " GARAGEBAND  (Read 4132 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile

I am looking for some input from all you experienced zen drummers on the pros and cons of these. What do you use aand why you like your setup.  thanks for responding THUMPER
Thumper

jeff sanders

i use garageband because its user friendlyness(great for dummies like me). i cant say the garageband software drums are the best sounding to my ear in comparison to bfd or other full blown drum plug-ins but to be painfully honest ive never been able to get the bfd demo to work right. i installed it at least a dozen times and usually immediately after installation it seemed ok but for some reason a snare would always dissappear when i used it plus it had unbearable hesitation before the sound came out after triggering it. these trivials might just be a few keystrokes away to correct but it is beyond me. i understand im the weak link in my setup(my gear is up to specs by manufacturers recommendations) so its not to blame.  i havent tried using garageband as a sound source at a live venue but i tinker with it in my lil home studio. one thing i learned by using it for recording, is that the visualization of performance(midi note data  on track) on the screen offers a perspective to composition very conducive to selecting proper focusing. you can look at all tracks from begin to end or zoom to a single notes properties and edit precisely. its no secret that software modules have surpassed hardware based modules in sound quality and the receptor is the alpha platform. if one of the wizards of knowing were my next door neighbor id probably get one and subtly drop hints about what questions i need help with while washing his/her car and mowing the lawn.  :)

p.s. if u got a mac garageband is free too!

good luck

kunkyape

Hey there, I did have a receptor (with BFD) but sold it a few weeks ago back to the UK distributor as it was such a headache and more about 'setting up the kits' as opposed to just getting down and playing! I did not find it very user friendly and not that stable either and because I didn't have the technical know how and little support, it was very frustrating.

I have just bought an AKAI MPC 2500 and use the zendrum through that and I could not be happier, such an easy piece of kit to pick up and use and really, really stable no odd quirks. The onboard sounds are great and as you can sample anything you want and assign it to the pads, it makes it ideal for what I want to do. I have just downloaded samples from the philharmonic website and have just trimmed them and layered loads of live string samples with drums, sounds amazing!! Have also done that with conga's, real bass, Waa-waa effects etc

Its just down to you at the end of the day, I am sure everyone will say the Receptor is great and I think it could be but I believe a fully loaded mac or PC could do just as good a job. All depends what you want to get out of your zendrum, if its real life and as close to acoustic sounding drums as possible then I reckon you are heading down the right route but for me it is all about the sample and layering, why buy an electric MIDI drum synth and then put acoustic sounds on it! Buy an acoustic kit for that!  ;D ;D

Tom Roady

I use Garageband with my Zendrums pretty much exclusively now......but now I'm using EZDrummer as a plugin with Garageband as the host application to play through...IT ROCKS!!!!!!I  I've got lots of the add-on kits too...Nashville has an amazing brush kit...Vintage is very cool...and I just got Twisted by Michael Blair that is sick...Also the Latin Percussion is very good sounding also.,....check them out for sure...."the mayor"

Michael Render

I use a Receptor with BFD and a TD-20. They both have their strength and weaknesses.

BFD has the most realistic and powerful drum sounds I have ever heard.
BFD is expandable.
The Receptor is a hassle free piece of gear. No worrying about drivers and hardware. And very powerful - you can play much more that just BFD. I often use multiple instruments sumulatneously.

BFD has a learning curve, but it is worth the effort.
BFD with the Receptor is expensive.

The TD-20 has a wide variety of sounds right out of the box.
The TD-20 has nice effects built in.
The TD-20 is pretty easy to use.
The TD-20 is very portable.
The TD-20 has it's own Trigger to MIDI interface.
The TD-20 has mulitple outputs.

The TD-20 is pretty much stuck with the sound set it comes with.
It is harder to record with the TD-20. You must go to Analog and back to digital for multi-track recordings.

It is a hard call between the two. VST instruments are definitely the future but the TD-20 is very useful. I can get a wide variety of sounds quicker with the TD-20, but I can get them better with BFD. The Receptor allows me to run more than BFD so if I want to use Storm Drums (which I do) I can just call up a different patch and go.

If I had to pick one for the Zendrum - it would be BFD+Receptor hands down. If I were more of a pad player that was doing more gigging than recording - maybe the TD-20.

Thankfully, I don't have to choose.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile

Thank you all for your quick responses. Right now I have been playing thru a Roland SPD-20 with a Bose MII with 2-4  Bose bass speakers and I am searching for better sounding sounds, smaller, easier setup, newest speaker combonations, and with all the new choices out there it gets confusing if not a little exciting. I wanted to go hear the BFD sounds at NAMM here in Austin Tx, but it was not open to the public. John,  I hope that you had a good time here in Austin. Looking forward to meeting you one day.  I am a little hesitant to laying out that kind of money for something I have not even heard. The TD-20 is also mentioned a lot on this forum ,but as far as I can tell it does not have the layering ability that my SPD-20 has. Maybe it will be an added feature in the TD-30?   Is there any zendrummers here in Texas that are playing out,  where maybe I could come and listen to what your setup sounds like? If not that is fine,  also lets keep this topic going with whatever else is out there! THUMPER 
Thumper

Michael Render

If you want to truly hear everything, you should come to FutureDrum. (Not that I am pimping anything ;D)
There will be all sorts of hardware/software solutions and a lot of Zendrums!

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile

I really was planning on flying up from Texas to the Future Drum event, but my lead singers daughter is getting married that day an I am committed to playing. I knew it would have been a great opportunity to hear, meet, and play with fellow zendrummers. Maybe next year sigh. Thanks for your info about BFD and the TD-20 THUMPER
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile

Well, I sold my TD-20 to buy the Receptor (having never even SEEN one, much less heard it) and I will tell you, I have had some serious headaches over the past year with learning curves, etc. ...but man, I would NEVER go back.  No way.  The Receptor is stable, stable, stable...I can honestly say I have NEVER crashed it while playing, NOT ONCE.  (I have crashed it while trying to load patches with way too much stuff going on, but that is my own fault for being greedy!)  The sounds in the TD-20 are good, but they just aren't REAL...the BFD/DFH etc. sounds ARE!  They don't just "kind of resemble a Zildjian 20" K Heavy Ride", it IS that ride!  The velocity layering of so many samples simply CANNOT be duplicated realistically in any other way. 

Let's clarify: I am looking for REALISM of acoustic drum sounds.  Yes, I know some of you do not prefer to use the Zendrum in this manner, and that's great.  But that's my number one goal, and the Receptor is the only way to get to the very top of the heap!

Not trying to sell you one, but I have had all the modules there are, including a few samplers.  The Receptor is definitely my module of choice!

Jer
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:20:02 PM by zendrumdude »

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich

Not trying to sound like a commercial, but the BFD Turbo Receptor is already loaded for you.  The headache of loading it is removed and it is less money than if you put it together yourself.  The 40 presets give you a starting point.  I have had mine on the road for about two years without any problems.  It has not crashed on me during a performance. 

I got involved with this project to help make it easier for Zendrummers (and edrummers) to enjoy the experience.  At the moment, The-Freddy.com support forum is me and I am willing to help you

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile

Avast Thar Mateys,

I realize that I am bit late on this thread, but I offer me humble opinion anyway.  I have a TD-20.  I have it mounted on the same bongo stand as me Zendrum holder (originally developed by Inspector 109.  As such, when it comes time to transport, I sling the Zendum over me shoulder and with one hand pick up the stand with the holder and TD-20 on it and after remembering to get me merge brick and cables, I am out the door.  I can be set up in less than 10 minutes.  While the sounds of the TD-20 as previously noted are not as realistic as a Receptor, they are good enough for the most part (non drummer ears can't tell the difference in most cases).  No heavy equipment to carry, no back injuries, easy setup and pack up.  No fuss no muss.

I hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile

I use Garageband with my Zendrums pretty much exclusively now......but now I'm using EZDrummer as a plugin with Garageband as the host application to play through...IT ROCKS!!!!!!I  I've got lots of the add-on kits too...Nashville has an amazing brush kit...Vintage is very cool...and I just got Twisted by Michael Blair that is sick...Also the Latin Percussion is very good sounding also.,....check them out for sure...."the mayor"

Tom or others using EZDrummer:

I am always in search of better sounds, so I checked out the Toontrack site and listened to the MP3 samples for all of the expansion kits.   They do sound good (brushes were not demo'd), but in all the instrument lists that I examined, I did not see any orchestral percussion like timpani sounds.  Did I miss them or does EZDrummer not support those samples.   I am using Battery3 currently and it includes an extensive kit library, including orchestral sounds, that are pretty decent.  I need at least C and G timpani for various musicals that I play. 

Thanks, Ken.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich

Kbour-

The next BFD expansion pack is Big Orchestral Marching Band.  It will include a full set of tympani with each note recorded.... felt and wood.  There is also a full set of orchestral chimes.  We are putting the final touches on the graphics and it should be shipping by the end of March.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile

To anyone besides THUMPER who might scan this thread...I have to put in a plug for Native Instruments' Battery 3. (I seem to be the lone Battery 3 cheerleader here, LOL.)

If you are after more than acoustic drumkit sounds, Battery 3 is the best thing out there (especially for the cost). To be fair, I know John Emrich has been involved in a percussion add-on to BFD that (based on the sample demos) is really great...but it still doesn't have Battery 3's range of world/ethnic percussion. I'm talking about things like doumbeks, darabukas, tars, bendirs, riqs, tablas, ghatam, taikos, lion drums, and the entire range of African drums like djun-djun, ashiko, djembe, etc.

Battery 3 has a bit of a learning curve, but I find it fairly intuitive. Then again, I've been using MIDI software for years...so my perspective might not be accurate for the basic user. Battery 3 does come with over a hundred pre-assembled kits using the entire range of sample sets right out of the box...but at a minimum you have to set up the MIDI note mappings with the Zendrum to use them (since some kits have far more sounds than the Zendrum's 24 pads can use).

Finally, you obviously need a computer to use Battery 3...but it's cross-platform (Mac/PC). And I'd definitely state that 2GB of RAM is essential for reliability. In several weeks of wailin' away on my Zendrum with Battery 3, it's been rock-stable---no crashes, no hangs, no stuck notes, nothing.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:35:24 AM by SWriverstone »

Tom Roady

Ken..unfortunately EZ Drummer hasn't done an orchestral library yet..maybe in the future....check out the new Superior 2 that is coming out pretty quick...it's pretty awesome...tom

quote author=kbour link=topic=606.msg4103#msg4103 date=1204479425]

Tom or others using EZDrummer:

I am always in search of better sounds, so I checked out the Toontrack site and listened to the MP3 samples for all of the expansion kits.   They do sound good (brushes were not demo'd), but in all the instrument lists that I examined, I did not see any orchestral percussion like timpani sounds.  Did I miss them or does EZDrummer not support those samples.   I am using Battery3 currently and it includes an extensive kit library, including orchestral sounds, that are pretty decent.  I need at least C and G timpani for various musicals that I play. 

Thanks, Ken.

Pages: [1]   Go Up