Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The number of Zendrums in the world  (Read 2556 times)

ZenGina

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum
The number of Zendrums in the world
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »

Hey everybody!

This is in response to the previous thread regarding the number of Zendrums there are. There is a short answer and there is a loooooooong answer as well (of course!). I have been working for a very long and complicated time to get as close as possible to the exact number. So here you go:

Short answer: As of now, mid-July 2007...the number of Zendrums in the world is 969.
This is all the Zendrums made since our beginning in 1993 starting with the datawheel Z1's, including an estimated number of 20 (will explain that in the long answer), also including the plastic ZP's and Muses made in 1997, plus the current orders we are working on. By the end of this year, 2007, there will be >1000 Zendrums in the world.

Long answer: With help from our subassembly person/office assistant (thank you Nancy!!), who happens to have just the same OCD that I do about data and numbers, I have very recently finished a lengthy and complicated project of sorting and cross-referencing all the Zendrum serial numbers and related information to re-establish the Zendrum serial number data base. We have sorted through every piece of paper and every page of numbers we have found in the archives, every entry in the current Zendrum Techno-Tribe contact list, working our way forward from 1993. In recent years, since early 2000, we have used a definitive system for recording the serial numbers with every order both in paper files as well as computer files. Before then all the serial numbers were recorded on paper.

David Haney has explained that in 1993 and 1994 there were ~20 of the first Zendrums he and Kim Daniel made that don't have serial numbers...this is the estimated 20 Zendrums I mentioned above. This number includes several original prototypes along with: original Zendrum Z1's (the original long tailpiece model) such as the one we took to show Peter Gabriel in 1993, then the very first Zendrum sent out into the world to Perth Australia to meet up with Manu Katche on the Peter Gabriel "US" World Tour; some of the other very first Z1's such as David's Zebrawood known as #001, then a Birdseye/Purpleheart known as #002 made for Billy Cobham, then Kim's Lacewood known as #003, then Purpleheart #004 for Michael Bastido, a musician in Atlanta who used to work with us...this is one of the first with the newer shape and the only solid Purpleheart Zendrum ever made; others including the first two ever sold (at Summer NAMM 1994 in Nashville)...1st one sold to Leon Russell, 2nd one to Oliver Warren who is the drummer on Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman"; two prototypes made for Futureman; then one which was sent over to Real World Studios; Kim's Yellow Pearl Zendrum which was photographed for a NAMM brochure and for print ads in Modern Drummer Magazine; and a few others. Some of those first ~20 Zendrums are hanging on the wall here in the office, signed by the artist and returned to us in exchange for a newer Zendrum, but we have lost track of a few of them.

By late 1994, then 1995 and early 1996 the serial number for each Zendrum was printed on two small white stickers, one on the outside of the backplate and one on the inside of the backplate. Those serial numbers started at #100450. Then in late 1996 the current 3.0 circuit board was introduced and from then on each circuit board has had a serial number imbedded on a chip. Until early 2000 each of those serial numbers was recorded on paper in a list with the owner's name and the date.

In late 1999 when we moved out of the Zendrum office and manufacturing space at 2299 Peachtree Road in downtown Atlanta, we moved everything to two locations...the office went to one place and the shop went to another. We are a very small number of people and we were all working as hard as we could to get it all done (just as we still are!!!), but during the move some boxes of crucial files were misidentified, misdirected and ended up in storage. In one of these boxes were the hard copies of the serial numbers lists along with hard copies of all the orders for several years. To complicate things even further the office computer crashed right before the move (naturally!) and we lost the contact list and data base onboard. When we did retrieve the boxes of files and the serial numbers lists, I started sorting through stacks and stacks of paper, cross-referencing all the numbers and other information, methodically re-establishing the Zendrum data base.

David has told me that until now when he was asked how many Zendrums there were out in the world, he didn't know the exact number, and the number he guessed was an estimate that also included some of those early prototypes he and Kim had made as well as quite a large number of Zendrum bodies that were carved and painted but never built and sold because he (Inspector 109) and Kim didn't pass the finishes. But the number I have sorted it all down to now is the actual number of Zendrums built and tested by Inspector 109 and sent out into the world (or about to be!). We realize that our Zendrum owner list is not completely accurate now, as of course we have lost contact with some earlier Zendrummers and others have sold their Zendrums on to people who haven't needed to contact us. But even though all the names may not be current and accurate, this number is.

Okay, all this may be WAY more than you wanted to know about Zendrum, but here it is. Since I worked so long to get to that number, I'm glad someone wants to know it...thanks for asking!

Go well,
Gina Boger-Haney
Gina Boger-Haney
Zendrum World Headquarters

loosesnare

Re: The number of Zendrums in the world
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »

I'm interested to know what the split between Zx and LT models is? ... or does this number refer to ZX zendrums ony?

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »

thanks for the info, Gina!
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

ZenGina

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »

Hi...
The number 969 includes all the Zendrums ever made.
The Zendrum LT (Laptop) was introduced in 2002 and the first one was shipped in March 2002. There are now 71 LT's.
The rest are ZX's except for the earliest datawheel versions: Z1's (long tailpiece/1.0 circuitboard), and Z2's (short tailpiece/2.1 circuitboard). Next came the datawheel ZX2 (16 setups/2.3 circuitboard), then in 1997 the ZX (3.0 board/4-way cursor OS). I'm still sorting out exactly how many Zendrums were Z1's and Z2's, and that's a whole nuther sort.
Wow, I'm SUCH a nerd.
But again, thanks for asking.

My favorite number, though, is this one: there are now 14 women Zendrummers that we know of, of whom our dear Raven, Zenfem#9, is.....wait for it.....yes, #9!  Hi Raven! :) Thank you!

Go well,
Gina
Gina Boger-Haney

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »

That sure is a great peice of history. Thanks for all the work you put into that Gina. And more power to the females. You ROCK !!!
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

timecutter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:04:03 PM »

Thanks for this info!

good wishes for continuing success,

Mark

timecutter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »

And now a question:  The serial number on my Zendrum is 08465036 - does that mean it is consecutive # 846?  or 650? or, or??

thanks & best wishes,

Mark

Tom Roady

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:50:36 PM »

Gina...sweet darlin....HOW can you forget my little red HOT ROD that is signed and hangin' on your wall!!!!!!!..I Helped make it in Sept . of 94".. In the motel/factory before the Thoroughbred Music show....I'm crushed!!! LOL....many times I've wished I never turned it in!!!!! lots o' love "the mayor"

ZenGina

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 08:12:18 AM »

Hi Mark,
In 1996 with the introduction of the ZX/3.0 board/4-way cursor OS, the imbedded serial number chips were added by our engineer (Larry) as part of the new 3.0 board design, primarily as a theft deterrent after we had a Zendrum stolen from a trade show. These serial numbers are randomly generated and non-sequential. Counting backward by shipping dates to determine the sequential order, yours is #900.
Yes, and this does mean I have yet another sort to do! But I already knew that...I'll have it done soon...Nancy and I still have to finish the data entry.
Thanks and go well!
Gina

Hi Tom,
Regarding the Zendrums hanging up on the "Wall of Fame" in the office:
Actually I was referring to the ones that didn't have serial numbers. Nope, yer honor, didn't forget your 1994 Hot Rod Red ZX...it is right up there, with the ones from Earth, Wind & Fire, Kenwood Dennard....
David told me that he recently took yours down to look inside it and there is a serial number sticker in it. He said it is one of the first that had Kim's trigger design and he believes it is the first ZX...with a "Hot Rod" board modified by Larry from a Z board to the first ZX board.
Thanks, Tom!
Gina
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:23:17 AM by ZenGina »
Gina Boger-Haney

Tom Roady

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »

Thanks Gina...It did play hot!!!! plus its the one on the cover of my CD...it was special for sure..."the mayor"

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »

Gina,

I LOVE that kind of thing!  I truly wish I had never sold my very first ZX...I'll bet it was one of the very first ones sold without the wheel.  It showed up inexplicably as a trade-in at a local music shop in late 1996 or early '97.  I had to get a new chip in it to get velocity sensitivity settings.  It was a clear flame maple model, which I sold to a guy in Madrid (I think his name was Cesar...you out there buddy?)  I distinctly remember the white paper sticker with a handwritten serial number (which deteriorated away over time and polishing).

Keep that history lesson coming!  GEO: you should excerpt some of that and put up a company history page!

Jer

ZenGina

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 01:46:03 PM »

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you! You know, I remember Cesar in Spain...he was a very friendly member of the old Yahoo Zendrum Group forum.

Yeah, I love this stuff too! And I have to say, sorting this out has been amazing, even as tall as the order seemed when I started it. I'm so personally invested in Zendrum anyway, and have always been here from the beginning, actually documenting mostly with photographs. So most of this history I already knew, but here's the coolest thing: I'll come across a bit of information here or a piece of paper there in all these old files, and I'll ask David (Inspector 109) about it and he tells me ALL this detailed history that I DIDN'T know! And like last Saturday morning before I posted the looooong answer, I called Kim to ask him about some early Zendrums and not only did he clarify my questions for me but he also filled in some other details that I was able to include as well! I LOVE this! The story just keeps unfolding and I'm very happy to be writing it down.

AND...this is so cool...already someone (I'm not sure it's okay to say who) has emailed me here at the office to let me know about a Zendrum that we thought we'd lost track of forever. Really makes me think it would have been a good idea to let y'all know I was doing this project earlier so anyone who had this kind of information could contribute to the data. But see, Nancy and I have been working on it along for quite awhile, whenever we had time, like when everything else was done (almost never!)...you know how it is! We're not finished with this, so I appreciate very much any details anyone can send me.

Okay, Jeremy and everyone...
Big thanks and go well!
Gina

Gina Boger-Haney

Michael Render

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 08:29:22 PM »

AND...this is so cool...already someone (I'm not sure it's okay to say who) has emailed me here at the office to let me know about a Zendrum that we thought we'd lost track of forever.
I absolutely refuse to allow you to mention my name. Ooops.

mesoiam

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »

969..., Never thought I would get such a detailed answer. It was good to hear the history. I imagine mine will be 970 or so as it's still in production. Can't wait!  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up