Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connection Advice Needed  (Read 37 times)

FindYourRhythm

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Connection Advice Needed
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »

I could use your advice...,
I finally upgraded my computer.   I am ready to purchase a new audio interface.  I am considering a new Universal Audio - Apollo Twin Duo unit. 

It DOES NOT have Midi ports.  My question is: How to connect my Zendrum?  I used to simply plug it into the back of the old interface -> M-Audio Project Mix Midi-in port. 

I currently use Abelton Live and would like to be able to take advantage of UA's extensive plug-in library for sound processing/recording. 

Abelton would see the Apollo interface for guitars, voice, but without Midi in, how would I continue to use the Zendrum with Abelton?
You see, I am not that versed in connections, midi, etc.  More like a monkey turning dials... be kind.

Hopeful that someone can lead me in the right direction.  Thanks to all,
Lucky Carmean
Mindseye, From Vision to Reality

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Connection Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

Are you completely sold on the Apollo?  Because there are dozens of similar products out there, many with on-board midi.

If you simply must stick with the Apollo though, then I would recommend a separate MIDI interface.  The venerable M-Audio UNO is what is usually recommended as it's affordable, reliable and plays nice with the Zendrum's finicky SysEx implementation.  It also works on Mac, PC and Linux.  Very flexible.  http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/uno
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite:

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

FindYourRhythm

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Re: Connection Advice Needed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »

I am not tied to the UA Apollo line.  I looked at your UNO midi suggestion and perhaps that would work, but I now realize trying to ADAT an old 2008 M-Audio Octane Pre (acoustic drums) through to the Apollo would not be the best idea. 

Therefore, I am considering a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre or (8PreX).  It has Midi in/out which I assume would work as the ProjectMIx for the Zendrum, and the 8 channels would allow me to continue using my condenser/dynamic mics for recording acoustic drums.  (If I wanted plug-ins from UA in the future I could add an Apollo satellite.)

What other recommendations should I consider for a Thunderbolt interface for recording drums/guitar/bass/voice and of course eventually a Zendrum (upgraded to Z4 and Zen edit software) midi controller?

Opinions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
Mindseye, From Vision to Reality
Pages: [1]   Go Up