Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to use multiple drum softwares at the same time?  (Read 306 times)

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
best way to use multiple drum softwares at the same time?
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »

To use BFD2 on my Macbook Retina and still get system audio, I had to install a USB audio device (Roland MK2 Duo). That's because ASIO won't allow the system and BFD2 to use the same WDM device at the same time. I've also started using Kontakt 5's drummers, and ASIO requires Kontakt, BFD, and the system to each have exclusive control over their WDM device.

I guess I can add yet another physical USB audio device, but is there any other, perhaps more convenient way? Is there a way to enable BFD and Kontakt to share the same ASIO out? If I add a third physical audio out, I'll have to add a mixer because my monitors only have two simultaneously usable inputs.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: best way to use multiple drum softwares at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »

It sounds like you may be using BFD and Kontakt standalone?  Using them within a DAW or VST host should solve your problem.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:45 AM »

Yes, standalone. So is a DAW the only way? I really don't want to install and learn yet another software package, especially if I don't need the bulk of a DAW's capabilities. Is there some minimal DAW out there?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:24:15 AM by JimmyTheSaint »

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »

On the Mac you can use a program called Mainstage.  It is cheap and available in the App Store......

I use it to do shows and combine programs.  It is basically logic without the recording capability.  You can set it up to meet any function requirements you may have.  For example, I use two triggers on my ZMP plus to change patches on the fly.  I use a simple MIDI note to do this.

It's cheap and worth a try...

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:10:58 AM »

Thanks, but I'm afraid even my MBR is Windows. Can anyone recommend the most lightweight DAW for Windows?

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »

I've been testing out REAPER from http://www.reaper.fm/index.php, and it's working very well. It's lightweight and inexpensive.

I must say, NI's Studio Drummer doesn't sound nearly as good as BFD, and I spent a good amount of time tweaking.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:39:50 AM by JimmyTheSaint »
Pages: [1]   Go Up