Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZenDrum mini?  (Read 200 times)

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
ZenDrum mini?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:52 pm »

Has there ever been any consideration for a "ZenDrum mini"? I'm thinking a tabletop unit with maybe up to ten triggers that you put next to your laptop and play one-handed. It would have a more "palm friendly" shape and layout, like my LT. If it weighed under 1lb., I would really love to be able to tote something like this around along with my laptop. To actually be useful in that case, it would need to be free of AC power. One USB port that powers it from the laptop and that's also the MIDI connection would do it. Eliminate the user interface stuff entirely to save power, weight, and space, instead providing a software utility that for the LED readout and parameter selection. The idea is: cheap, light and portable, yet usefully playable.

Is this feasible as a custom job, or would it require so much re-engineering that it would be too costly?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:48:01 pm by JimmyTheSaint »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: ZenDrum mini?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:30:55 am »

Something like the Zap or Zap^2? 
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:17 am »

Something like the Zap or Zap^2?
Something significantly smaller and more convenient and ergonomic: under 1lb., requiring only one cable to be plugged into a laptop to use, a curved pad layout to lie under one's palm.

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

There is the Korg Nanopad 2,if you want to do basic / single shot / DJ triggering with a USB interface but it is a million miles away from the response of a Zendrum.

Mick

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:01:23 am »

I picked up a QuNexus, and the playing response is actually not bad. It's a little bit more cramped than I wanted, but it does have other uses, plus it's really small and light and USB powered. I was so happy with it, I bought a QuNeo, which is partially designed (its 4 x 4 array) for finger drumming, but it's much less sensitive than the QuNexus so that you can't tap it to play, rather, you have to whack it. It will suit some people, but it's useless to me as a drum controller, although I can use it for other things.

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:53:01 pm »

I picked up a QuNexus, and the playing response is actually not bad. It's a little bit more cramped than I wanted, but it does have other uses, plus it's really small and light and USB powered. I was so happy with it, I bought a QuNeo, which is partially designed (its 4 x 4 array) for finger drumming, but it's much less sensitive than the QuNexus so that you can't tap it to play, rather, you have to whack it. It will suit some people, but it's useless to me as a drum controller, although I can use it for other things.

I love my QuNexus.
Funny you mention the sensitivity issues on the QuNeo. I had the same issues with how responsive parts of it were (the sliders, in particular, were really dull, and the buttons really needed bearing down to activate) but the pads themselves were quite tappable. I ended up exchanging it for the Nexus and a Launchpad Mini.
Neat devices, but it seems KMI doesn't have the consistency I'd hope for from a professional instrument manufacturer.

JimmyTheSaint

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

How is the Launchpad Mini's playing response and sensitivity for finger drumming?

Yes, KMI's stuff is inconsistent. I'm unable to program the QuNexus's controller layer from any computer, and the dev has no troubleshooting advice. And my QuNeo's rotating controllers have a nice fingerdrumming sensitivity that none of the 16 square pads has. You do have to bear down on the sliders more than you'd like to. Meanwhile, the QuNexus's sensitivity would make the older QuNeo much more usable. Apparently, they changed technology between the two devices. I asked precisely that question on the KMI forums after buying the QuNexus and before buying the QuNeo, but the answer they gave me was wrong. I think they don't comprehend how sensitive our fingers have become from playing ZenDrum triggers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:01:31 pm by JimmyTheSaint »
Pages: [1]   Go Up