Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tiny hardware sample player?  (Read 1078 times)

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
tiny hardware sample player?
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »

I'm in the market for a hardware sample player, probably specific to drums. I'd like it to be small, like half a 1U rack or even smaller. It should have a USB port and/or an SD card slot for loading my own sounds. I wouldn't need any more than stereo out. Alesis just announced a couple relevant items at NAMM, the SamplePad Pro and the SampleRack. The SamplePad Pro has 8 pad triggers built into it. The SampleRack is really close to what I want but it's a 1U rackmount device. Both have trigger inputs for e-drum sets, which isn't at all necessary for a Zendrum. I want something even smaller, possibly with an AC adapter to reduce the size of the thing. The idea is to have something that's really small for jamming with friends, something that can fit in the outside pocket of my bag. It'd be nice to have an LCD for showing the name of the selected kit and perhaps a clickable rotary encoder or buttons for selecting a kit. If I really have to I'll try to build something based on Raspberry Pi and LinuxSampler or drumkv1, but that would be a lot of work to build a cape with MIDI and audio jacks. If anybody has any other similar product suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:32:21 PM by rhombus »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: tiny hardware sample player?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

The smallest modern (VST based) one I'm aware of is the V-Machine.
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines/v-machine

There are of course a lot of small drum machines out there still as well, such as the Alesis SR series, Boss DR, Yamaha RX, Korg etc.  Though obviously these all sound dated.

It's quite a bit larger than the V-Machine but I've always thought the Alesis DM-Dock showed a lot of promise too, if only for the ability to change kits and parameters on the fly.

HTH

◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »

I think I've found what I'm looking for. Roland's new TM-2 module, I guess announced at NAMM last week. It's pretty much perfect for what I need. Here's what I like:
  • MIDI In and Out
  • SDHC card support for loading your own drum samples
  • Small form factor
  • Can be run with 4x AA batteries

The battery operation is fantastic, would make it great for jamming! The only question without an answer is polyphony.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1308/488
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:40:06 PM by rhombus »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »

I highly doubt it supports more than 2, possibly 4 total samples per setup.  That unit is designed to augment a set with only two inputs and would not be suitable for Zendrum.

There are many small drum machines out there with the ability to be powered by batteries if that's what you're after.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »

There really aren't that many options. The Alesis SR series doesn't appear to allow you to load your own sounds, neither does the Boss DR. Korg hasn't sold a hardware Electribe for a few years. I have an iPad, but I figure the latency is pretty bad and I haven't really found software for it that would cover my need. I wish that DM Dock would be released soon but again I'm concerned about latency. The Alesis Sample Rack while too big for my preference is probably the closest thing I've seen. I'd prefer to spend $200 or less, but no more than $500 because beyond that I might as well get a whole new drum brain or use a laptop :/

This is where we now talk about making a ZenDrum Drive Mini for <$500 ;)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

Yes, I'm afraid that a unit with everything you're describing simply does not exist.  There are small and cheap units and there are units that can run VSTs or allow loading of samples but those are never cheap and rarely all that small.
Building new Zendrum rigs has always had a high level of give and take ;)
http://nebiru.com/drumWagon/index.cfm/2011/8/1/Korg-NanoKONTROL

Ask me about:

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

Well it looks like the Alesis Sample Rack will be $200, damn cheap, good enough for me. The only thing that would make it perfect is if it was a half rack and didn't have the trigger inputs. Sure would be nice to have the MIDI on the front side too. Still though, if I can't have everything this will get me close enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up