Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi-hats in the mix  (Read 672 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Hi-hats in the mix
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:51:41 AM »

Greetings Tribe!  Wanted to solicit some opinions.

I'm running a TD-9 module as my main sound source, and I've noticed my hi-hats aren't quite doing it for me these days.  They feel a little too loud in the mix, too compressed (not getting as much dynamics as I'd like, all one level) and while the final product I'm hearing on tapes and such isn't BAD, I want it to be better.

I'm running the last gen operating system in my instrument, so setting individual trigger curves is not an option for me.  The other thing that occurs to me is perhaps to take down the hi-hats in my module's mixer but perhaps pitch them a little higher so they still cut through if I want them to?  Input is welcome; thank you kindly.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Hi-hats in the mix
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

This could be the beginning of your journey to the dark side :)

I still recall the day a few years back that I finally got sick of the Roland sounds.  At first it was the snares, then it was the crashes and finally it was the toms.  There are still some percussion sounds of Roland that I like (and use samples of), but once I went through the initial pain of switching to BFD I never looked back.

Seeing as how you're still using the Z3 though, I presume investing more money in your rig is not an option and you'll want to make do with your TD-9 for a while longer.  One trick I used to do with my TD-20 was to assign different articulations to each hand.  I have a closed and an open HH trigger on each side of my Zendrum.  My right hand would use the tight closed bow sound (42 on the TD-9) and the open edge (26) while my left would use the closed edge (22) and open bow (46).  This gave me more variation and expressive abilities.
I still do essentially the same thing in BFD, however I use the velocity layer capabilities of the Z4 and ZenEdit to change articulations based on how hard or soft I'm striking.

Anyway, I hope that might give you some ideas for squeezing extra dynamics and expressiveness from your rig.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:06:45 AM by DrumWagon »
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

bluesapostle2

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-hats in the mix
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »

I love BFD3!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up