Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the difference between a Z2 and a ZX?  (Read 2891 times)

hitman

What's the difference between a Z2 and a ZX?
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:38:29 AM »

Hi all,

I was looking to get a new Zendrum when I found a Z2 for sale. Is there a major difference between a Z2 and the ZX models that currently sell on Zendrum.com?

Thanks,
hitman.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: What's the difference between a Z2 and a ZX?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »

Hey Hitman,
The Z2's were built in 1994-95
A Z2 has one note map, instead of the current ZX @ 16.
It is the same body design as now, but doesn't have a MIDI IN port on the top.
It doesn't have a sustain jack or momentary switch, and requires a $450 total rebuild to bring to current specs from the original datawheel operating system and circuitboard. (It may still play great "as is" if all you need is a drum trigger for a drum sound module- Roland/Alesis, etc.)
Hope this helps!
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

hitman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »

Ok....

So if I understand correctly - suppose I'm playing through an SPD-20 I could still use the layering on the SPD to get somewhat realistic sounds, but it would be limiting otherwise since only 1 Midi note is going out per trigger.

Err...what would the momentary switch do? Looks like some more reading on my part is needed.

Hitman.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:02:29 AM »

The SPD-20 has built-in banks of sounds and an somewhat exclusive MIDI protocol to access them.
Like all Roland products, they elected to make things a little difficult to route and program when using anyone else's products in conjunction with theirs as a system. MIDI was not the priority they had in mind when they designed it, but there are workarounds to make the most of what is available. Some of the Zendrummers who post here have integrated the SPD-20 very successfully with the Zendrum. Perhaps they can help clarify those specifics for you...

The momentary sustain switch button is an alternative to using a piano type pedal without having an additional cable attached and underfoot. Both the 1/4" pedal input and the switch button were later hardware additions after the 16 note maps were implemented in the first ZX software in 1995. These extra note maps were created in response to the requests for more melodic applications like bass and piano. For triggering most drum sound modules- I find that one note map is enough.

The ZX's sustain feature can be used with anything that recognizes "pedal down" #64 MIDI commands as either a sustain or an "all-notes-off" kill switch. This is useful for long legato soundfiles with slow attack envelopes to let the sound play-through long enough to hear the sample's complete rise and decay, or to start and stop loops. The sustain feature also has an internal polarity toggle for each one of the 16 SetUp note maps.
Hope this helps!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up