Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power switch replacement  (Read 1767 times)

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Power switch replacement
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »

Hey guys! Long time no talk.
So I don't know if I'm the only one this has been happening to, but since I got my ZX, I have had an intermittent problem with bumping the power switch with my belt or hip and accidentally shutting off the power while practicing.

I've contemplated a few different solutions for this and I think what I may end up going with is replacing the current toggle switch with a push-button, such as http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/717130401/LED_push_button_switch.html.

The questions I have are probably best answered by the Inspector, but any insight is helpful. My main concern is to resolve this one way or another before it results in a switch-off at a very unfortunate time.

1) Will this void my instrument's warranty? My friend and I are both heavy tinkerers and are well-versed in modifications such as this, so skill is not an issue, but I understand not wanting to be responsible for third party modifications. Regardless of the solution, I need to get this sorted out, even if it's just making a physical barrier over the switch.

2) What are the dimensions of the existing switch and the hole it is mounted in? Is there any electronic equipment lying directly beneath the power switch? How much depth is there to work with below the backplate of the ZX? Obviously if I go the replacement switch route, I don't want to order one only to have it not fit. The one I linked above looks substantially deeper than the google searches I've done for comparisons to switches like the stock toggle.

3) For other people who have experienced this (if any), how did you overcome it?

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Power switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »

61 views and no responses after two weeks? This isn't the forum I remember, I guess.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »

That one summer of excessive spamming drove many people away.  The hope is that they'll return now that we have better control over it.

I've replaced my battery compartment before, but never have messed with my power switch.  If it was me, I'd probably just put a cut-out rectangle of raised foam around the switch to keep from accidentally bumping it.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd considered that too, but my concern is that the adhesive will fail since it'll be more prominent and thus subject to much more abuse than the somewhat low-profile switch. I'm hoping for a more permanent solution. I may just carefully take the back off tomorrow and see what I'm looking at for myself, since many people have already done it themselves to service their Zendrums. How much leeway is there in the wiring between the board and back plate? (e.g. if I lift the back off, how far will it go before damaging the wires)

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »

Hi,
Yes, I have had that problem before, though only when practicing as that's the only time I play sitting down. When I was gigging with the ZD I always played standing up, and the power switch was never an issue. Perhaps the mod you need is just to change the position of how you are holding the instrument?

Aside:  I checked back periodically and there was no activity, it's been a while, glad to see the forum up and running with no spam. The facebook page is ok, but not like a forum. Glad to see it back. :D
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

For jobs like that I use this Scotch tape.  I call it "magic tape" as it really is surprising how well it works.  http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-1-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV

I've had a foam mouse pad attached to the back of my Zendrum with it for years now and it has not budged.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »

Thanks DW. I'll give that a try before I do anything more intrusive; I think though that with my particular application, it's more likely to pop off regardless. It will have a smaller surface area adhering to the backplate and will be bumped a lot more frequently.

What do you use a mouse pad on the back of your ZX for, if you don't mind my asking?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »

My belt was rubbing against the back of the Zendrum and digging holes in my shirts, so I added that padding to the back.  It also helps keep the Zendrum from moving around too much.  I'll try to take a picture of it next time I'm in my studio, but It's pretty much what you can probably imagine -- an old school thick, gray mouse pad trimmed to the shape of the backplate and then adhered.

Ask me about:

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »

Here's a couple shots of the back of mine.  Kinda hard to make out the pad since it's all black, but I think you get the idea.  This is an old-school spongy mouse pad, about a quarter inch thick.  Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Standard-Mouse-Pad-Gray/dp/B00004ZAGC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373754464&sr=8-6.

HTH
-dk

Ask me about:

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

So recently I finally decided to do something about this.
I took a trip to the hardware store and came back with one of these:  http://parksupplyofamerica.com/gproduct.php?id=ESCEW-30&gclid=CNCgtKm8xLoCFcw7MgodP00AKA

The opening is just big enough to fit around the trim on my power switch (you'll want to make sure you're getting the right size as there are a few different kinds). After a bit of trimming to accommodate the rubber foot and a pedal jack, I used removable glue to affix the washer to my back plate. It sits just the right height so as not to interfere with the foot, and resembles the same rubber material that the foot is constructed of, so it doesn't look particularly out of place. The sloping sides mean that any impacts are actually deflected somewhat rather than absorbed, so the glue takes less strain. Finally, it covers the switch quite nicely, so that I have to reach down inside to turn my ZX on and off, making it the perfect semipermanent solution.

I still can't believe I'm the only one who's had this issue. I guess the difference is in how we are all wearing our Zens.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »

The forum does tend to go in waves, but yeah, I think the Summer of Spam did a lot to cause the diaspora around here.  Hopefully with the new videos and EXP being released we'll see some more traffic.

I've had a few bumps of the power switch myself over time; never frequently enough that it was really a concern for me.  I regard it the same way as a drummer dropping a stick; quick hiccup, fix it, move on. Player position and a little bit of situational awareness should take care of it 90% of the time.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »

Hey there!  Had new information that I felt warranted its own post.

According to 109, the power switch can be bypassed so that when the main cable's plugged in to the instrument, the instrument is powered on.  He says it's not risky any kind of way and it's how all Zendrums are shipped that don't have the internal wireless.

If you're very concerned about your switch, perhaps this is an option?

-Jaay
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:40:59 AM by Jaay »
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

goda

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »

here is a modo of a zendrum v3

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »

Hey Jaay! Hope all is well.
The problem with plugging a cable into the Zendrum is that it negates the MIDIJet add-on for the instrument. I like reliability, but I like my $400 wireless system as well. :)

Hey there!  Had new information that I felt warranted its own post.

According to 109, the power switch can be bypassed so that when the main cable's plugged in to the instrument, the instrument is powered on.  He says it's not risky any kind of way and it's how all Zendrums are shipped that don't have the internal wireless.

If you're very concerned about your switch, perhaps this is an option?

-Jaay

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »

Tell me about it.  I feel guilty but really haven't used my wireless for close to a year now.  Even though the latency is *very* small, it still is present and I feel more connected to the instrument without it.

Ask me about:
Pages: [1]   Go Up