Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD3 - Number of available Drum slots  (Read 1253 times)

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
BFD3 - Number of available Drum slots
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Hi John,
saw some of the previews of BFD3, it looks fantastic.
Was just wondering if you would know the maximum number of slots/channels for Drums that can be opened for a drumset. Thinking on ideas for say an expanded Zendrum 27-28 pads?

Cheers
Michael

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: BFD3 - Number of available Drum slots
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

The answer that I got on Facebook was 64 (up from 32 in BFD2).

I've been scouring the videos, PDFs and websites all morning for confirmation though and haven't gotten it yet.

For me that would be the prime reason to upgrade, though I'm also curious about the new engine improvements such as cymbal swells and velocity and resonance controls.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

Sorry I was late getting to this.  I was in NYC Saturday and did demos for 2500 people with BFD3 and the EXP.  Long weekend.....

64 instruments.

Engine improvements are under the hood to make things a lot easier for folks to get it set correctly.

Modeling!  This includes cymbal swells.  The way that works is that BFD3 senses the speed of your cymbal strikes and adjusts the attack of subsequent strikes to make a smooth roll!  It is fully adjustable and gives you presets.  A while ago I did a bit of research and recorded results showing what happens during a real cymbal roll.  That was turned into the base line for how we put rolls together and the settings needed.  End result is a simple, one knob adjustment that makes it easy to do rolls on any cymbal.  Including cymbals like a heavy 24" ride that wouldn't even sound smooth acoustically.

Also in modeling, we have adjustable Tom resonance.  That allows the toms to be heard ringing when you hit other drums.  The levels are fully adjustable.  That feature is retroactive to all of the expansion packs.

More info and videos to come....

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

Btw, I'm downloading it right now.. more soon :)
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

bluesapostle2

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

Ordered it today!! It looks much improved!

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

Hi John,
One other quick question.
With the availability of SSD Drives now is having your OS and BFD3 Samples on the same drive now a workable solution? Rather than needing a seperate External drive for the samples?

Considering adding a new SSD Harddrive to my Macbook Pro.

Cheers
Mick

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:57 AM »

Hi Mick,

The official word is posted on the FX website.  It is always best to have a separate drive for the data..... That said, I have been using my internal, 7200 rpm drive on my 15" MBP for my BFD2 gigging kit for a couple of years with no problems.  I only keep the gig data on the computer.  It always depends on the computer.

If you are going to play live with BFD3, you may be Ok.  You can still select 16bit mode for the engine.  With 64 kit pieces you should be able to do an entire gig with one big preset!  Use patches on the Zendrum to trigger the different instruments in the 64.

So.... It is worth a try......
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up