Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taken to the wood shed, make that, to the wood shop.  (Read 1280 times)

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Taken to the wood shed, make that, to the wood shop.
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »

After seeing Mo'Rockin countless times over the years while visiting Epcot I finally ordered my own Zendrum. I decided to go all out. Flame maple EXP in that beautiful sapphire blue. I know the web site says 4+ weeks for that finish but I still cannot help but check the status every day. It's going to be a long month. Anyway, I have a few questions while I wait. I plan to use a Roland TD20x as my main sound source. I also may connect it to my DAW and try using Kontakt.

Will it be easier to map the Zendrum to match the TD20x, or program patches on the TD20x to match the Zendrum? (I do plan to get the ZenEdit program once I pay off this purchase.)

When using more than one pad to trigger the same drum, do most users assign both pads to the same midi note, or use two different midi notes and slightly different strikes to mimic left and right hand?

I have a MacBookAir with Ableton Live. Would what I gain in variety and sound quality make it worth using a computer instead of something simple like the TD20X?

Thanks for any answers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Taken to the wood shed, make that, to the wood shop.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

Welcome to the tribe!
It's much easier to use the TD-20 map in ZenEdit to setup your triggers than remap the module.  The TD-20 however does not have a concept of left hand or right hand strokes, so you would just assign the same instrument to multiple pads.  The TD-20 does do a passable job of eliminating machine gunning -- not as good as some higher end VSTs such as BFD2, but decent enough.  Make sure you set your maximum velocity from the Zendrum to a hair below 127 to give it some wiggle room.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Slyder

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »

Congrats Rabid 👍 - I soon hope to order a ZX in that same finish.
I can imagine the anticipation and know that when I finally put in an order, I will be checking often on progress.
Am I mistaken or does the Zen Edit program come with the purchase ?
I have purchased a drum module - practice amp and headphones as well as downloading and studying the ZX and drum module manuals.
I hope to place my order in the next couple of weeks if all goes well.
Best of luck on your new purchase. I hope to be joining the ranks soon.
Slyder
Slyder
Z4 - ZX Saphire - Zendrumdrive

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »

ZenEdit is a different purchase and a different company. I plan to get it once my Zendrum has shipped. By then I have to decide which computer I'm going to use for editing.

I looked for the EXP manual but do not see it listed. For now I have downloaded the ZX manual.

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »

Oooohhhh boy. I've done it now. Sold a bit of music equipment that I did not need, made the mistake of looking on Ebay, and bought a second Zendrum before I even received my first. Not exactly sure if the person is a dealer but he had a couple of new2012  ZX Z4 series listed and I bought one today. That will give me a chance to see which layout I like better, the ZX or the EXP. Now I have double the anticipation.  8)

Slyder

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »

Maybe one of the moderators can help clear this up - but looking at a purchase directly from Zendrum - Zen Edit is included with the purchase. I plan to order a new Z4 -ZX and under options and accessories - the Zen Edit program is included. ( at least I hope so   )
😧
Slyder

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »

Correct.  At the time of this writing, each new Zendrum purchase includes a ZenEdit license.  This obviously does not apply to secondhand purchases however.

-dk
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »

NICE!   ;D

I missed that.

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »

Darn it. Got home from work and found a FedEx sticker on my door. Missed delivery from Georgia. I know what that is. Luckily they deliver on Saturday. I'll be setting by the front door.

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »

My beautiful flame maple sapphire blue EXP arrived today. A nice match to my zebrawood ZX. Taking a break to watch the ZenEdit Introduction video. Now I am lusting for the LT. ... I need help.  ::)

;D

Slyder

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

Congrats on your new EXP. Tell me - is the finish as beautiful as you expected ? I have a ZX coming in the same  finish. When I was looking through the color chart it just jumped out at me and I knew that was the one. I may end up sleeping with it    :o
Are Psych Services included in the purchase or is that an option ?
Slyder

Rabid

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

Yes. I chose that color because the picture reminded me of deep, blue rippling water. I first thought it had a small scuff on the edge. Turned out to be a bit of sticky stuff that came right off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up