Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OPINION UPDATE: Best portable amp for live Zendrum performance?  (Read 1823 times)

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
OPINION UPDATE: Best portable amp for live Zendrum performance?
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:42:46 PM »

I know this has been discussed here before...but I'm curious to get some current opinions. I've had (for many years) a Peavey keyboard amp that I've been using with my Zendrum. It's a KB-5 (I think), with a 15" cone. It's got plenty of power, especially for relatively small clubs, coffeehouses, bars, etc. and a good bass response (the 15" cone helps a lot there). But the thing is huge (plenty big and strong enough to sit on) and weighs a ton---a real pain to haul around.

John E, I remember you touting the virtues of the Barbetta amps...and I know people who have been pretty happy with the Roland KC series keyboard amps (though I realize the Barbetta is in a somewhat more "Gucci" category of amp).

Of course I'm looking for the impossible---something with big, deep, pristine sound...that is almost as easy to carry around as the Zendrum itself!  ;D (Oh---and also won't cost as much as a Zendrum!)

Any suggestions?
Scott
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:59:40 PM by SWriverstone »

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: OPINION UPDATE: Best portable amp for live Zendrum performance?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »

I really love my BOSE model II with either the B2 sub or 2 B1's and a T1 mixer. Unfortunately it does cost more than a Zendrum but I highly recommend it. You should also check out the QSC K12 or smaller K10. These by themselves are awesome with the bass boost or they can be combined with a K SUB for bigger venues. This is one Zendrumers opinion. Ask Pocketmaster and DR Shark how they likes them! Thumper
Thumper

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »

As much as I loath GC, I have to hand it to them that the Simmons DA200S makes for a very good monitor.  Good form factor, easy to cart around, small footprint, decent price, powerful sound and fairly flat response at all frequencies.  It's also very directional which is either good or bad depending on your situation.

There are reviews of it elsewhere on this forum and also over at vdrums.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I probably should have clarified in my initial post: for the moment, I only have/use a single amp---meaning it serves double-duty as both monitor and audience amp (in other words, I sit in front of, and just to the side of, the amp---so both the audience and I can hear it fine).

Obviously if I ever hit the "big time" (LOL) and graduate to a real setup, I'll need to switch to a monitor/mains arrangement.  :)

Scott

Dr Evil

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

I have had pretty good luck with my JBL EON15 set up. I usually use one speaker, they have high / low eq and amp built in. Not too big or heavy and can sit straight up or in a monitor position. Pretty good low and high end balance for a good kick and cymbal sound. If you look around, you can get a pair for around $300.00.
Zebrawood ZX - BFD 2.0 - EZ Drummer & Superior Drummer - Alesis D4 & DMPRO - WIN XP - Presonus Firebox - JBL EON-15

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »

I currently use my JBL EON G2's when it is just the Zendrum.  For my band's PA, we have Carvin LS1202 monitors (awesome thump), Peavey SP5 FOH and as needed for larger gigs, we add a JBL EON 518S.

Really small gigs, I just set up the JBL EON G2's as FOH, and have had really good vocal clarity and low end response.

The future still has the QSC K series on the radar, but need to pay for the Zendrumdrive first.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye currently use a Roland KC 150.  For small venues it seems to do the trick.  For larger places Aye would recommend a QSC K12.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Candlestrobe

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

Hi all. I've tried a few amps, all with mixed success.  I've settled on one of these and it is pretty fantastic actually.  http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=8

This particular model is just enough for smaller acoustic / jazz type gigs Have a listen to how it 'puts out' without PA: http://youtu.be/0u_susewERg   

Recommend auditioning one if you can. I love mine!

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:07:31 PM by Candlestrobe »

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »

I'm a happy QSC K12 user. I've never had a drum monitor that was so loud or clear. It's got a deep switch too, but that's almost too much for most situations. Very versatile for P.A., vocal, multi-instrumentalists as well with 1000 lightweight watts, a 12" woofer and horn tweeter in a kick-back, stand upright, or pole mount configuration.
Yamaha, EV, Alto, JBL, make similar powered monitors. Hard to beat the clarity and brute punch of the QSC in such a small package.
I've abused mine pretty hard for a couple of years now.
Zero complaints
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:34:52 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up