Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone describe the 4.0 chip in more detail for me?  (Read 924 times)

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
Can someone describe the 4.0 chip in more detail for me?
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

I'm considering upgrading to the latest chip. My understanding is that this improves sensitivity, and I'm hoping someone can describe in a bit more detail **how much** the sensitivity is improved?

Specifically, I'm wondering about the extreme soft (low-velocity) end of the spectrum: will the new chip make the pads so sensitive that even those incredibly tiny, feather-light, whisperings of my fingertips (almost not even touching the pads) will all trigger?

Currently, I often like to use 2-3 fingers on a single pad to play figures like grace notes, ghost notes, 2-stroke and 3-stroke ruffs---that sort of thing. But the 3.0 Zendrum often misses some of these very fast, very light/quiet notes. So I'm wondering if the new chip will change that?

Thanks for any more detailed comparisons!

Scott

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Re: Can someone describe the 4.0 chip in more detail for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »

I've had the older V3 Zen, and then did a custom build with the V4 chip.  IMO the sensitivity and over all response  was greatly improved with the new chip.  I currently find that it is not my Zendrum that is limiting, but instead my sound module (Roland D-10exp).  So much so that I am making the transition to a Zendrumdrive.  I never tapped the full potential of the V3 chip, and was very pleased with my older Zendrum, but the new features of the V4 chip are IMO well worth the investment.  Feel free to email Inspector 109 (aka Zendrum.com) and he will help you technically more than I can. 
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »

The scan speed is a lot faster on the Z4.  That means that it is faster recovery between notes.  Non of us has actually measured it, but I did notice it. 

Regarding the multiple notes.... Yes!  I do a lot of this and they track at all velocity levels.  One thing I have been working on lately is a backward roll.  That is a finger style guitar technique that uses thumb, middle, and first finger as a roll.  The Z4 tracks it a lot better than the older chip.  The thumb is the accent.  On the Z 3 chip the non accent notes would drop out.

I recommend the Z4 chip with no reservation.

Hope that helps.
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »

Thanks John and peabody---that helps to know! I'm sure it's better...just trying to get a feel for how much (and it sounds like a lot!). Now I'm just trying to budget for the internal MidiJet upgrade as well. :-)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

The wireless option is well worth it. Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »

You can also edit sensitivities with each trigger using the Zenedit program which only works with the Z4 chipset.  You can modify each trigger such as change the midi channel per trigger, make one trigger more responsive than the other, change the crossfade midi note numbers so they do not have to be consecutive like the Z3 chipset.  You can also add up to 30 triggers with the new chipset.  I say get it!!!

Pocket Master
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up