Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tribal wanderings  (Read 407 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Tribal wanderings
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:58:18 am »

Greetings all!  Jaay here.  I recently finished a gig which had some cool Zendrum moments to it, thought I would share.

I was playing a run of Rocky Horror in Chicago; this is becoming an annual thing for me as it's the fundraiser for a theater company I'm working with.  The band is mostly the same as last year, but several new cast members.  The first rehearsal with the cast was a hoot; I got to the space and was introduced as "our awesome drummer", but I could see people looking at me somewhat askew since I didn't have any drum gear on me. 

I set up my board and pedals and plugged in to the PA, and as soon as  I unzipped the gig bag, boom:

{whispered} "Dude, what the hell is that thing??"
 "Oh man, it's the most awesome thing ever, you'll see..."

Run through a couple of passages to check my PA status, I'm up, and jaws are down.  Hee hee hee!!!

That happened to me several times throughout the rehearsal season, and I honestly think it's starting to become my favorite parts of the gig!

By the time we got to the actual venue the band was pretty much obscured by the stage and actors so I didn't get it as much, though several times during our preshow jam sessions i could see people pointing to the stage .  I've gotten to the point where I think I can lip read "what is that thing?"

One thing i did differently this year was to take a cab to the venue a few timesinstead of the subway, mostly when I knew I'd have gear to haul.  I've heard lots of stories about jazz drumemrs in New Yor (both past and present) who tried to fittheuir gear into cabs and while I could definitely see it with some of these bigger ones, I shudder to think about getting even a cocktail kit into the trunk of a Crown Vic!  Wasn't a problem with the Zendrum thogh; all auxiliary stuff in the trunk and my instrument with me.

All in all I had a great time.  I'll post some links to viedos or audio when it becomes avialable.  Be well!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up