Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New version freezes up  (Read 2462 times)

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
New version freezes up
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

Hi Darin,

Speaking of answering questions about Zenedit :-)  (see my other post today) - - -
I downloaded the newest version and installed over the old version, which was the beta version and worked just fine. Since this new download a few days ago, the program keeps freezing up on me when I try to do anything. I can't seem to pinpoint it to any particular action; it happens fairly early on after I open the program, and it seems to be random. I am trying to set up a new project, and I can accomplish a few tasks then it just goes blank with the 'waiting' circle spinning, and says "(not responding)". I have closed the program numerous times and reopened hoping for something different to happen (yup, the definition of stupidity, keep doing what your doing and hope for a change, lol!). I have also shut down my computer several times and restarted thinking that might be it, but no change.
Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: New version freezes up
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »

It might have something to do with you having the beta version previously.

I would try uninstalling (and possibly rebooting) and then reinstalling the latest.  That may clear it up.

Let me know if it doesn't though.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:47 pm »

Argh... why do I seem to get all the problems!  ::)
Sorry Darin, I apologize, but it seems my luck to continue being a thorn in your side. :-[

OK, I uninstalled everything, reinstalled the new program, loaded my project in and... initially I was able to change 2 triggers in edit mode. I went to do a 3rd, and it did the same thing. Screen goes blank with the spinner "waiting" mode, and doesn't respond. I have to shut it down. I then tried to open a new project, and this time it gave me a windows message saying it was not responding. I could not shut it down, I had to go to the task manager and stop the program. So, I trie uninstalling and again reinstalling, but the same thing happens; it allows me to load a project or open a new one, then when I try changing the triggers, I get 2 or 3 done and *bam* I am locked. :P

So is this again particular to ME?!?!  :'(
Why am I seemingly the one that keeps having all these issues ... I think the drumgods just want to make sure I keep you busy :-). Was it something I said? Do you want to push me over a cliff? Have me take a long walk off a short pier?  ;)
I am going to take a dinner refrain, then try and see if I can get this loaded onto my laptop, and see if that makes any difference. I'll let you know.
In the meantime if you have any other suggestions that don't require you to swear at me, strangle me or wish ill thoughts about me, let me know  ;D

R
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

No worries, we'll sort this out somehow.  I always look at these as opportunities to further strengthen the app and make it more bulletproof.  If it happens to you, it may happen to others and this is a chance to get it hardened in advance.

Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using and whether it's 32 or 64 bit?  Also how much ram do you have installed?  Have you selected a MIDI interface from the top toolbar, and if so, what is it and does it still happen if you've turned it off?

With this information I'll set up a test environment and try to recreate the issue.

Adobe AIR usually will tell you if there is an update, but you might also check that have the latest version from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/

regards,
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »

Darin,
I think I got it. It seems to be something to do with Adobe AIR i believe. I tried uninstalling Zenedit and reinstalling as you know, and every time I reinstalled it I got the same exact information in all my files. It seemed like there was some type of memory being held and I thought maybe thats the problem, I am not really clearing everything out with the uninstall. So I decided to unninstall everything associated with Zendedit, but I could not uninstall AIR. It kept giving me a message to the effect I had to be an admin to uninstall. I looked into this online and found a huge # of people with issues trying to get rid of AIR. I tried 5 or 6 different ways, nothing worked. I finally went in and found everything I could that had to do with Adobe AIR in Windows Explorer and manually deleted a bunch of folders. Then I reinstalled AIR, reinstalled Zenedit, and it seems to be behaving. I have been playing around with it for the past hour and it has not crashed or frozen at all.
My issue now is re-learning how to save and transmit the .zen and .syx files directly without using MIDI-OX, which I believe you have now made possible in this version?

Hopefully we won't have to recreate the scenario I had! If this continues working corrrectly (which I assume it will now since it has been going well), then you won't have to invest time figuring this out. I will say for future reference, anyone updating to this version should uninstall AIR and reinstall with the new zenedit. I would repectfully suggest you invest some time trying to figure out how to get that damn program (AIR) to uninstall! I am still not sure I got it all off, but i must have deleted something right for it to be working.
Thanks for your concern and help as always. I will report back in the next few days to give you an update as to how it is working.

Oh, sorry to see the picture in the other thread :-(. The damage appears to be pretty minor thankfully, and cosmetic, not functional. *whew*!
Thanks,
Rand

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »

Darin,

The only issue stilll, seems to be that I cannot send my sysex file from Zenedit to the Zendrum directly. I am following the procedure, and i see the little light on my Zendrum blink once when transmission begins, so there is communication there. I am wondering whether or not Zenedit recognizes me as a user and do I have the fully featured program rather than the demo? Seems the demo will not allow this feature, so perhaps that is the issue?

addendum:
OK, I just was able to save the syx file to the HD, and using MIDI OX, uploaded to the zendrum and it took. So apparently i am using a "demo" version. how do I tell Zenedit I am a registered user?
Thanks Darin, almost there!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:30:47 pm by randtor »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

That's pretty weird about AIR as it's usually good at keeping itself up-to-date.  It sounds like somehow yours was stuck with an older version or something.  Glad to hear you have that sorted out now though.

If you're able to export and/or transmit SysEx then you are not using the demo version.  Those operations are only available in the full version, so sounds like you're good there.  You can also verify this by going to the Help menu.  If the items for registering or purchasing ZenEdit are grayed out then you have the full version for sure.

That you are seeing activity on the Zendrum when you transmit the SysEx is a good sign.  That indicates that you have correctly setup MIDI within ZenEdit and are connected to your Zendrum.

Some things to try:
1) Make sure no other programs are also using that MIDI port at the time you are transmitting, including MIDI-OX.  They can interfere with the port or block it.
2) I sometimes have to try transmitting a couple times.  Some machines and MIDI interfaces are more finicky than others.  This is true for me when using MIDI-OX too.  Sometimes the transmission will start, but the Zendrum never acknowledges receipt of the final data packet.  When this happens, I just start it again.  You can just press CTRL+T on PC or CMD+T on MacOS to transmit the SysEx.

HTH
-darin

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »

Darin,
Yes, Iam using the full version as the two areas are gray, but I cannot transmit sysex.

1. I close Zenedit 2 then open MIDI-OX and vice versa before I use either one as I found out early on one blocks the other from proper use.
2. I tried several transmits, no luck.

I see this difference between the two, sequnce as follows:
a. within zenedit, I go to the sysex transmit window, and on the zendrum to the Er, push the up arrow button on the back; the Er starts blinking... I then hit the transmit on zenedit and the "note-on light" blinks once, the Er continues to blink and when the transmit in zenedit says it is done, nothing else on the zendrum changes until I press the right arrow button, then the Er stops blinking. I go to the Save function and when applying the Save it just flips righ to the Pr display; no change takes place in the zendrum.

b. When I use MIDI-OX and transmit the sysex, my numeral display on the zendrum continues to blink, as does the note-on display light. When the transmit is done, the Er and note-on light  stops blinking, and then the mode change light starts blinking. When I then go to Save on the zendrum and it questions the save, I hit the up arrow on the zendrum, the 'SA' displays in the window, and then it goes to the Pr display, and the change is saved and operable.

So there is no recognition of the sysex dump from zenedit to the zendrum within the program itself. Once before we had this issue ISTR, and it had something to do with the zendrum seeing the beginning of the transmission but not recognizing when the transmission ended. Could this be the same problem again?

Thanks,
Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:34:33 pm »

Okay.  Unfortunately it sounds like (for the time being) ZenEdit's built-in MIDI is not compatible with your setup.

If you can detail your setup I can try to recreate it here and work on a solution.  I'd like to know what version of Windows you have and if it is 32 or 64 bit, and what MIDI device your are using.  With this info maybe I can update ZenEdit so that this feature will work for you.  In the meanwhile you can continue to just export your SysEx to MIDI-OX.

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »

Yes, I can still use MIDI-OX no trouble, so that's fine.

My setup is an Alesis usb to 2 cables with midi in and midi out connectors. I am running WIndows Vista Home Premium, 64 bit. As you know everything worked fine with the beta system, but that did not have the option to do away with MIDI-OX as the newest version does (and I might add, the new version works awesome with everything else! Nice program Darin).

Off to band practice. No hurry on this because I can still use everything else in the program, and it no longer freezes or crashes, so that is no longer an issue.

Thanks,
Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »

Honestly I will not be surprised if this turns out to be an issue with Vista Home, however the USB MIDI cables are inexpensive enough that I can try to obtain one to perform some further tests.  Can you tell me the exact model number, and if it required drivers, what version number you are using?

Cheers,
Darin

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Darin,

It is the basic Alesis USB to MIDI cable, here is a link to what I use:    http://www.alesis.com/usbmidicable

It could very well be the Vista Home OS, which, I might add, I hate. But I am unwilling to purchase a new PC at the moment just because of the OS.
The rest of the program is working just fine. I can live with using MIDI-OX as I have been right along, it is not a big problem for me. So, if you have better things to do then by all means put this on the backburner... especially if I am the only one with this problem, which means I have an individual system issue and the fault is not in your program or its operation. I have always appreciated the individual attention you have given me, I don't want to abuse that privilege if the problem lies with my system and not with your program.

Thanks again,
Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:07 pm »

It's not a big deal -- with every issue that pops up and that we squash, the program just becomes that much stable. 

I've just Amazon Prime'd that cable -- will let you know what I turn up in my experiments.

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 06:55:19 pm »

Ok Darin, thanks then! I'll check back off and on to see if you have made any progress; or, you can PM me, you  have my email address.

Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:11:49 pm »

The cable arrived today.  As soon as I have time to setup a Vista install I'll start messing around with it.

Ask me about:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up