Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First major boo-boo :(  (Read 2136 times)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
First major boo-boo :(
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »

Here's hoping this hasn't happened to any of you yet, but if it has then you can probably relate.
If it hasn't, then please let this be a cautionary tale.

I was caught in traffic on the way to the gig yesterday and rolled in just 10 minutes before showtime.  Not really a BIG deal, I can setup in 5 if I really have to -- it just means I won't have much time for a soundcheck or to warm up.
I didn't NEED to rush myself to get setup, but I was still in "hurry, hurry, I'm LATE" mode.  I set up my stand, placed my Zendrum into it and turned to power up my rig.  In the back of my mind I thought "that Zendrum isn't in that stand all the way" and sure enough, out of the corner of my eye, I saw it falling forward towards the concrete patio.  It was almost like it was happening in slow motion.  I let out an expletive and lunged towards it, but it was too late.  It hit the ground with a most sickening *thud*.

Luckily these Zendrums are built like tanks and nothing was damaged beyond the nasty gash in the picture.  It still powered up fine and I made it through the gig without incident but still, my poor baby now has a garrish boo-boo  :'(

◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: First major boo-boo :(
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

Oh man.... I've had similar happen to me; sorry to hear it. 

However, as the Inspector said to me once, "it at least shows you're using the dang thing!!".  Take heart in that at least?
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »

As a follow up, David reached out to me and mentioned super glue.  A quick search for 'super glue guitar fix' led me to these fine directions on how to fix something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

As soon as I can get over my fear of messing it up even further I'm going to give them a try!
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »

So over the weekend I worked up the courage to take sandpaper to my Zendrum.  I figured if anything I couldn't make it much worse.

Turns out it wasn't all that big a deal though.  It does take a lot of patience, but in the end the fix looks pretty good:

With practice I could probably do a better job, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for the advice David!

Ask me about:

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »

Looks great, but your logo is upside down...... :P
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

Looks fine to me, but then I'm always looking down on it like this ;)

Flashes me back to when someone here asked if you could flip the image over in ZenEdit.  I guess they played theirs upside-down like FM  :D

Ask me about:

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »

You repair looks great. Hopefully you won't need more practice!

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

That looks great Darin, you can't even tell there was any damage.

Good to know it's a fairly easy fix, i am definitely a klutz!

~R
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »

If you turn it in the light you can see the edges where the super glue transitions into the rest of the Zendrum.  If it were just a ding or a gouge on a flat surface, then this method of fixing could make it imperceptible.  But since I had to basically shave down one of the pointed corners, It was harder to "feather" it into the surrounding surfaces.
I haven't taken it out into natural sunlight yet but I suspect it will be more noticeable there.

Ask me about:
Pages: [1]   Go Up