Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GigKat  (Read 1349 times)

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
GigKat
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »

New sound module from Mario at Alternate Mode, may be worth a look, possibly more for Melodic players?
I assume you'd need something like a Behringer BCF2000 for the CC MIDI adjustments for Volume etc?

http://www.alternatemode.com/gigkat.shtml

Cheers
Mick

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: GigKat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »

Could be pretty cool.  They need to provide a software interface to program it though.  Or at the very least a profile for MIDI Quest.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »

I bet you could use the Roland FC-300 Midi Foot controller or the behringer FC-1010 to control it, there are two assignable expression pedals, the Roland sends program messages and CC messages so I am sure it would work.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »

In order to get this to work, your controller must be able to send MSB and LSB information  in addition to program change......

I now have one of these units.  I will figure out how it works and report my findings here soon.  I am doing the Electronic Percussion Workshop with Alternate Mode at the University of Delaware in two weeks.  This is a cool little box and I will try to figure out a way for the Zendrum community to work with it.  As it stands now it is optimized to worth with AM products as an internal chip.

Let you know soon........

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Thanks John.  I am curious about this unit as well as the  Ketron SD2. The sound examples sound promising. Keep us posted Thumper
Thumper

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
GigKat thoughts
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

Greetings,

Here are my thoughts on the GigKAT from Alternate Mode.

http://www.alternatemode.com/gigkat.shtml

As some of you may know, I do some work with Mario.  He has been a friend for a while and I like and use many of his products.  The GigKAT started life as an internal sound chip for his products.  That chip is made by Kurzweil and  features over 1000 sounds.  The key difference between this product and other dedicated drum module units is the scope of the voices.  It is better to compare this unit to a synth module.  Do to the fact that I am a professional sound designer, I will stay clear of remarking on the audio samples.  You can visit the following links to hear all of the different examples as played by Mario and make up your own mind.

http://www.alternatemode.com/malletkat_ks.shtml

http://www.alternatemode.com/trapkat_ks.shtml

All in all I like this unit because it offers a lot of non drum sounds.  That seams to be a feature that the Zendrum community appreciates because there are a lot of you that like to take advantage of the melodic scales in the Zendrum.  There are a couple of things that you need to understand to work with this unit.  I will point them out and give you a couple of tricks that work in dealing with this unit.

PROGRAM CHANGE

Many devices send program change information, but most only send the 0-127 value.  In the case of the GigKAT that is only part of the information needed.  The GigKAT also requires bank information.  That is two sets of numbers referred to as MSB and LSB.

MSB = Most Significant Byte
LSB = Least Significant Byte

These two sets of numbers are what makes up the "bank" of sounds.

Most drum modules and foot controllers only send out the program change and leave this bank information out.  The GigKAT must see this information to get it to the right bank.  To deal with this I found a really useful app for the iPad/iPhone called MIDI Tool Box.  This app has two add ons that allow for program change and control change.

Using MIDI Tool Box, the apple camera kit, and a M-Audio Uno MIDI to USB cable you can send the MSB and LSB information along with the 0-127 program change info.  The GigKAT uses bank 4 and 5 for drum kits.  You set the MIDI channel in the app to 0 with the MSB and LSB numbers matching the patch data included with the list of sounds in the GigKAT manual.  After that you just hit the button for the program you want to use.  It works like a big calculator.   Sounds complicated, but it is really easy once you have done it once.  I have one more interesting point to make.  Once you have sent the GigKAT the correct MSB and LSB information you can use the program change functions on the Zendrum to change kits within that bank.

If you are using the GigKAT with an Alternate Mode kit, the AM device allows you to send the MSB and USB info.

MORE CONTROL

An additional bit of control can be gained with MIDI Tool Box in the Control Change screen.  I use that screen to control the overall volume as well as the two different effects parameters.

HOLD PEDAL FUN

The second trick that I came upon involves the HH.  The GigKAT will not do variable HH the way that software does.  In fact, most drum modules only use closed and open sounds to begin with.  They use a damping algorithm to produce the other variations internally.  With the Zendrum Z4 I was able to take advantage of a control input.  I set that input to work on CC#64, the hold parameter.  Using ZenEdit I flipped the polarity of the pedal.  You can also do that with some pedals via a small switch.  This produces notes that are always held until the pedal is pushed down.  I then selected the HH note for the open HH sound.  Holding my foot down produces a closed sound.  This is also the way that I prefer to play the Zendrum with melodic voices.  I use the pedal to stop the sound. 

There you have it.  This unit is worth looking at because it does offer a lot of sonic possibility for a relatively small price.  If you already own an iPad/iPhone you have a tool that can unlock the control features that you need to take advantage of it from the Zendrum.

Cheers,
John
John Emrich

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

This just in..... The Zendrum can do bank changes.  I will give it a go tomorrow and see if maybe we have a solution to the MSB and LSB info explained above.

Thanks Drum Wagon!

1 hour later.......l.

OK.... That didn't work.  :)

It looks like the guys at Kurzweil may be redirecting some of the functions.  I can get it to work with MIDI Tool Box so at least we have one approach.

I'll keep digging.  I am doing a week long clinic with Mario next week.  Maybe we can figure a work around.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:28:41 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Pages: [1]   Go Up