Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TD-20 LCD Display  (Read 3679 times)

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
TD-20 LCD Display
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

Well, I am a little sad to report that I set up my electronic drums for the first time in a while, and when I went to turn on the TD-20, the Kit Names on the LCD screen were jumping all over the place, and from about halfway down it was just blank (ie can't read any of the soft key commands...)

Has this happened to any other TD owners? This is the first big problem that I have had with a Roland module ( and I've had or have just about everyone prior to the 20).

From reading other sites it sounds like it might be just be an LCD replacement, which is still in the "couple hundred bucks" range (amazing)...  The Zendrumdrive just might be closer on the horizon...

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: TD-20 LCD Display
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »

Hey 99,
I had that happen on several older Alesis modules. They're pretty much unusable after that.
LCDs are fragile liquid between two panes of glass. They always break.
That's why I always fought so hard to keep the Zendrum display an "old style" LED.
That, and I can read the Zendrum display from across a stage.
Have you tried anywhere else to quote getting it fixed besides the manufacturer?
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »

If by 'kit names jumping around' you mean that it's cycling through kit numbers then that might be indicative of a bigger problem.  Though replacing the battery may be something to look into.  Also make sure you don't have a foot switch stuck when you turn it on.

One quick thing you can try is adjusting the display contrast.  That may solve the problem of it being half blank.  To adjust it hold down KIT and rotate the value wheel.

HTH, I'm sure you're sweating bullets  :-\
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »

By jumping around, I mean just one patch, say "Mike's V Kit" For example - is on the screen but it is kinda "blipping and shaking " all over the place. I have tried it with no triggers plugged in at all, a couple different outlets, and always the same result. I did try the adjusting the contrast already, and that simply did what it is supposed to do- it changed how bright/dark the screen was, but it was still littering all over the place.

I hooked it up to my zendrum, and it seemed to "play"fine- I just can't really make any modifications or adjustments anymore as I really can't read the screen!

David- I have a call in to a local authorized Roland repair technician- they called me back but I wasn't t available so I will touch base with them tomorrow- I'm hoping they are a decent price, as there aren't too many authorized dealers in my location.  I would hate to see the 20 just go to waste..

I actually dug up some info that this is a bit of a common problem in the earlier runs of the TD-20, not too sure how accurate that is though, but mine would certainly qualify as being from the early production runs.....

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »

Do you use VDrumLib?  http://www.vdrumlib.com/

Might be a way to continue making edits even without being able to read the screen.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rsanto

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »

Back up immediately!  Try a factory reset then reload.  How old is the unit?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:28:52 AM »

The problem is that he can't see where he is on the menus to do a backup procedure.
Hey 99, how much custom editing did you do on your kits?
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

Drum wagon- I do not use that, not sure what that is I might have to take a look at that.

Rsanto- my TD-20 is old I suppose, I got in April of the year it was introduced at NAMM. 

David- you are correct that is intact the problem so I can't really see what it is I am doing. My kits are rather edited/tweaked like mad. I really only utilize about 2-3 "drum" kits though, as I don't really use many more drum kit sounds if I have a couple of good kits already. I believe they are on that card that goes into the front of the TD-20 (my goodness it looks gigantic compared to today's media storage!). I don't mind going back to tweak out kits, as they are really for practice purposes anyway (although it's still nice to have the best possible sounding kits you can have)   

I got in touch with a local authorized dealer- 60$ to look at it, more if it takes longer than an hour.  If its just the LCD , it would be 60$ more bucks to put it in plus the cost of the board itself.  It starts adding up I suppose.....

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »

If you want to hobble on and not spend the bucks then you could use VDrumLib to make all your edits and then send the SysEx to your module.  There is a series of keys you'll need to push (same to back up the SysEx) but nothing much and easy to memorize.

Ask me about:

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »

Well that is certainly good to know- I appreciate your I for on the V-drum lib.  I'm gonna bite the bullet for now, drop off the unit to alocalauthorized dealer, and see what price they come up with.  In the meantime it's the TD 12 for now....
Pages: [1]   Go Up