Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up the Zen through the Mixer...  (Read 1133 times)

Ian - The Saint

• Tribal Pledge
  • Occupy Church
    • View Profile
    • Bishops Blog
Setting up the Zen through the Mixer...
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »

Hi All,

I play with an 8 piece Horn Band. Chicago, Tower of Power covers you get the picture.  My dilemma is that it seems there are no sound engineers on the planet who can mix my Zen so that the other musicians can hear it through the monitors. Give me some feed back here. Would it make more sense for me to set up my own monitors through a dedicated mixer and split off to the house PA?  The mix is fine in the house once they get us balanced it's just the monitors...
Pray, it may be all you have left.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Setting up the Zen through the Mixer...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »

Definitely Ian.
The more control you give a soundman over personal monitors the more frustrated you will become.
We do separate mixes for each player so we're spoiled, but I usually run the PA from the stage so if I hear something weird or someone is playing out of sync I just crank ME up. One thing about drum monitors- MORE is always better.
If I'm playing acoustic kit I can just smack 'em harder, with Zendrum and soundmen there's a tendency to sandbag the volume just because (for a change) they can. You need LOTS OF HEADROOM for playing with dynamics and driving a horn band. I've got a ton of options with the pro audio gear we carry now. Let me know if I can help sort this out. Monitors are 50% of electronic drumming. Your bass player wouldn't bring just one 10" speaker, right?
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

I am using a QSC K-Sub and K-12 for my monitor on stage, plenty of power....1000W each, nice bottom end....and great news!!!!  Zendrum sells those now!!!  We have beefy mains, but the monitors were lacking, so I got the set and they sound great.  I place them in the center of the stage where a "real" drum kit would be so that the sound imitates coming from the area of an actual drum kit, doesn't matter that I am standing out in the crowd having them tap the cowbell pad.  I am also using wireless in-ear monitors now so there is no issue with distance from the stage.

David didn't mention so I will plug it.....the Zendrum Drive allows you to give your soundman control of 8 channels of your drum mix, kick, snare, toms, cymbals....that is another option if you want to give the power back to your sound man.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Ian - The Saint

• Tribal Pledge
  • Occupy Church
    • View Profile
    • Bishops Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

Thanks Rob,

I am saving my shekels for a Zendrum Drive, It's just mandatory to get the full potential out of the Zen no matter what the setting.  Thanks for the feedback. I am going to run my Zen through two Mackie S515's and use two Eon 15's for monitors.  It's all I got for now.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »

That's a good answer- Bring the meat AND the potatoes.
Turn it all UP and play soft so you can still scare 'em when need be...
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Ian - The Saint

• Tribal Pledge
  • Occupy Church
    • View Profile
    • Bishops Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »

Walk soft, carry the big stick philosophy... That's the plan. Still looking for the Marshals that go to 11...

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »

Exactly!
Did you know we got an album credit on the last Spinal Tap record?
Our finest accomplishment!
At first they wanted to know if we could make a Zendrum that exploded!?
I said yes, but that would void the lifetime warranty.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

;D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »

I agree with David- the more control you have, the better.  My pit group ( we usually are the same few guys on local theater stuff, but the piano player is always the sound engineer, we are always in another part of the theater, upstairs, under stage,etc.... So I can almost always play completely out- and yes on acoustics- a miracle for theater work!)

Anyway, he uses a presonus digital mixer- and we have all gone completely to in ear monitoring(I think we all have the Sure 315's)- but the kicker is presonus has an app for your iPhone/iPad- where you can connect to the mixers network, and yes you can completely control your own mix - it is incredible. Anything you want more / less of, on the fly. So next to my music stand at every gig now is my iPad on another stand, ready for dialing up my monitor mix. Love it. And the in-ears block out alot of unwanted exterior sound (your drums if they are acoustic, the horns, etc) - and you can re-pull them up beautifully in your personal mix. I was amazed how good of a mix I could achieve once I had control over it-  opposed to saying- "yea, I'll take a little more bass, little less guitar", and so on...
Pages: [1]   Go Up