Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EZ Drummer HiHat control  (Read 4711 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
EZ Drummer HiHat control
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

Here's one I can't answer cause I don't know-
Any help? Thanks guys! 109
I've inserted parts of an email I received below-

Having trouble getting my Roland FD-8 hi hat pedal to coordinate with the hi hat samples in EZ Drummer. I have followed the calibration sequences in the (zendrum) manual but still seem to be stuck.
At this point Logic is reading the full range of the pedal, but i am not hearing any change to the hi hat samples while triggering.

109's response-
Go to the NO page menu on the Zendrum.
Press + to show [  ] brackets
wiggle the pedal to show it's current cc message value.
Hihat cc should be #4. It's probably on either 3 or 9 now, so change that number to 4 and store the change.

already set it to 4. I notice there is a control change from a closed hi hat sound to an open  when the pedal is being released, around 90 on the 1-127 scale. But does work the opposite way. Also no sounds are made when the pedal is fully depressed or opened.

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: EZ Drummer HiHat control
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

I use Superior Drummer, the same as EZ just on steroids, let me see what I can find out about triggering the open and closed, just so I understand, you are using the CC jack on back of your Zendrum, correct?  I will check and see what I can come up with.  I do not have the Roland FD-8 but I should be able to get the same result with what I have.  Be back in a day or two.....

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

from db- that's correct. thanks rob.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »

109,  I used to use EZDrummer with an FD8.  Someone on the vdrum forum posted that you need to use one of the midi keys further down to the left of the keyboard (outside of the standard midi GM drum protocol).  Somewhere down there is a note number that allows the use of CC to trigger the different articulations.
Caveat!  It was a long time ago I used EZD - and I am a bit bonkers, so the above may have been a dream (though somewhere in the grey matter it is lodged, and a search on vdrums.com may reveal the source).  Hope it works but if it doesn't I will do a search for it myself.

Edit
try this  for pointers:
http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?32026-EZDrummer-TD-12-Hihat-Problem-!!&highlight=ezdrummer+hihat
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:32:59 PM by Slavedave »

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »

Try using note number 44 for your HH MIDI note number, that is for the HH pedal in EZDrummer.  See if that works for you.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

Rob I remember a conversation on here about BFD and HH  and John Emrich had said that there was a box in preferences called variable high hat that had to be checked. Maybe EZ drummer has that in preferences also? Just a thought Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

I had a conversation on the phone with this person, there is no option in EZ or Superior for HH for variable HH, his pedal is working, but it is not registering the the in between of the open and closed position, so it is like it is either closed or all the way open all the way.  It is set to CC4 on the Zendrum, he does not have Zenedit so it may be able to be tweaked using that, but for now, I don't have an answer other than the pedal is not compatible with EZ or SD.  I think he said he had BFD also, if it doesn't work with BFD either it very well could be the pedal itself.

Rob

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

Hey Rob,
Thanks for trying EVERYBODY. Ya done good! Many Thank you's PocketMaster for going that extra mile.
It's simply another instance where nothing is made to work together- by design.
Seems like we've all been dealing with compatibility walls forever, and there's really no point to why it has to be this way.
It's a damn shame for DB- the end-user/customer who had to look to us for any help at all.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

Here's the latest couple of responses from DB and myself- 109

DB- 
was able to get FD-8 pedal controlling various zones with zendrum and superior drummer. However still cannot generate a closed hit hat sound while fully depressing the pedal. I have tried adjusting the velocity curves in SD2 but nothing seems to work. One thing I notice is the max velocity this pedal outputs is 124.
I am mostly wondering which particular pedal you've tested and had full success with using the zendrum with SD2? I tired a Simmons hh pedal in guitar center and that didnt seem to communicate with my zendrum.

109- try recalibrating the FD-8.
When you set max pedal on C2, don't depress all the way down. Leave a little more room at the bottom.
See if that will ultimately make the velocity output show as 127.
Not sure if that will help with SD2 or not, but it might help with the pedal voltage range.

DB-Tried setting the pedal with a smaller range but still seems to respond the same way midi wise. Can you tell me which hh pedal youve had complete success with using zendrum with SD2 or EZ drummer? I've tried with two different fd8 pedals and i get the same results.

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up