Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singin' Lead and Zenning????  (Read 2716 times)

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
Singin' Lead and Zenning????
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »

I am looking for some help with fingering patterns and/or Zenning methods that have worked for others who have had to front the band as a singer and use the Zen as the only drums for the group??  I seem to be working up a sweat and get a real "wrist ache" with my current "three button -- bass/hat/snare" scenario!

Any suggestions would really help!

Thanks,

...Rod
Zebrawood ZX

"I'm just a zenner set free by the grace of God"

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Singin' Lead and Zenning????
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »

I often sing and Zen at the same time.  I usually use 3 pad hat/snare/bass as well as some Latin and such going on.

I'm not sure you're going to find a pattern other than control and practice that will make you more comfortable.
Play nice.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »

Right now it feels like I'm sacrificing a little quality on both sides when I lead and play Zen (as opposed to when I used to play the Trapkat).  The "upfront" capability really makes it worth the sacrifice but I now find myself changing the vocal phrasing (which throws a small wrench at the backups) and/or slightly changing the rhythm (which throws a small wrench at the band -- the bass player seems especially annoyed at times).

I guess I was looking for a magic bullet but it probably is as you say -- a matter of adjustment!

Thanks for the reply,

...Rod

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »

Greetings all,  I actually use the right hand for hi hat stuff, though I do have one of the lower side triggers able to do hi hat stuff. Usually on the side, from top to bottom... kick, snare, rim click, hi tom, hi-hat. the larger trigger in the top I can use three fingers on it, and get some good sounds that way, hitting the lower hat trigger on the side, if I need to accent some stuff. I still have a lot to learn about this little wonder. Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

dennis_coleman

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »

I sing and play all the time. When I want to keep it basic I play snare and kick with my left and hi-hat and double the snare with my right. For the most part I can do whatever I want to, but when I started playing the Zendrum out in the world in March, it seemed just as difficult as it was when I began singing while I played the trap set (so very long ago). My point is, keep it simple and it just comes to you.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 11:19:08 AM »

Also check out Davids "one hand" technique video. I use that a lot and it works VERY well. Not too hard to learn either.

Cheers,
Steve

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »

Where do I find David's video?

Thanks,

...Rod

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:19:42 PM »

It's posted in the media section of the Forumn, if you have not looked at the vids there is some really good short clips
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »

After looking it up again, that is the video I based my setup on.  It has worked out really well for the basic rhythms but I lose it a little when I need to do a fill (especially when it coincides with lyrics!).  BTW, I set up the toms on the 1st 3 bottom buttons and I set up the 4th one as another snare, then I set the large button on the main body (the one by the "one handed" stuff) to be a ride cymbal with the bass drum on a button above it.  Works really well when going from hi-hat rhythm to song sections needing a ride cymbal.  I also set up button one of the small 4 of the hat rhythm to ba a crash.  Sure does use up a lot of triggers to keep the rhythm going but it seems to make thins easier for song transitions and dynamics!
Pages: [1]   Go Up