Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warm-ups, Cool-Offs, General Maintenance  (Read 3257 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Warm-ups, Cool-Offs, General Maintenance
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:00:08 PM »

While we wandered, I made a list of things that I wanted to cover when we came back.

I've been playing weekend-long shows with a few friends lately.  I've done two so far... they've been great!

Anyhoo, I've noticed that my hands have been sore the morning after.  Granted, these gigs of mine have been three days long, all nighters on Saturday, so I don't really think it's a deficiency in my technique (although if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears).

I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on warm-up and cool-off routines for our instrument.  Ounce of prevention and all that, so I encourage folks to talk about their personal maintenance on Zendrum gigs.  Take care folks!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Warm-ups, Cool-Offs, General Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »

Anyhoo, I've noticed that my hands have been sore the morning after. 

The amount of comments that could be made about finding a girlfriend really makes me wish I hadn't imposed that PG-13 rule...

As for warmups and cool downs, it really just sounds like you're hitting the thing too hard, or you're being to tense when you play and holding the tightness in your hands too much.

My warmups have nothing to do with getting my hands ready.  I'll always play along (unplugged) with the last song or two played by the warmup band, just to start feeling it.  Otherwise, 20 pushups and I'm ready to go.
Play nice.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:38:33 AM »

Jaay,

My hands will get sore if I am playing more than three hours straight, I think its just par for the course, not poor technique.  Sometimes its hard to play light when you're in the groove and rocking.  I have used arnica cream on my hands, wrists and elbows before and after a gig to prevent problems, also this stuff called Sports Gel works well.  Both are available at health food type stores and are completely natural.  Just stick a tube of it in your gig bag, and you're good to go.

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Bruce Richardson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

I concur that this may indicate overplaying the Zen.  That kind of soreness is indicative of soft-tissue damage, and there is very little to be had from the Zendrum in the way of expression at that point...you would be triggering flat-topped 127's in velocity.

Perhaps you might try just being very conscious of your strike force on the next gig.  At standard-issue settings, everything from a finger-tap to the equivalent of a mezzo-forte conga stroke is good playing range.  Nothing beyond that is going to trigger a higher velocity level, so you're dynamically static from that point forward.

Once you get that sweet spot drilled into your physical memory, you'll most likely never be sore from playing the Zen.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 04:27:45 AM »

Does beer count technically as either a warm-up and a cool-down? not sure if it really helps but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt. thats good enough for the Hippocratic oath  ;D
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 06:26:35 AM »

you would be triggering flat-topped 127's in velocity.

Sounds like air force jargon, doesn't it?
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:41:35 AM »

I concur wholeheartedly with the "Flat-Top 127's" Air-Force comment.  If you are getting sore, my guess is, as stated, that you are really whackin' the thing.  To be honest, I LIKE to do that at times, and I have pleaded with the powers that be to put a Trigger Gain control in the next wave of ZD software, so that the top-out is at a higher range for us crazy Zen-guys. 

That being said,  Try this:  Set your ZD to crossfade mode and practice playing WITHOU triggering the highest level of crossfade!  It's harder than it sounds...but I have found that when I get in that "Zone" where I am playing right in the right velocity range, my hands feel like they are ...umm..."Carressing" the instrument (Geo, PLAY NICE on that comment...I mean it!)  When I notice myself feeling and playing that way, it's a state of, for lack of a better term, ZEN.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up