Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: super portable setup/ feet triggering?  (Read 711 times)

David

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Framedrums.de
super portable setup/ feet triggering?
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »

Hey guys,

it has been a while since I posted here last time.
Sorry to hear about the forum issues. I run a percussion community website and know what kind of pain spammers and hackers can be. Cool that you guys found a way to deal with it.
I have been out of the world of electronic percussion and focussed on acustic setup and recently the world of handpans (another curious instrument with it's own universe).
My recent project has the topic back on the table, we need a solution for live-sampling and triggering and what could be more suitable than the zendrum... One of our main concerns is portability. We already travel with 4 handpans which has us facing serious overweight fees with most major airlines.
Unfortunately my dream of the zendrum with internal sampling unit has still not become reality (hint hint... ;) ), so I have to find another solution. I don't like the laptop on stage but it seems like it's still the most portable solution for sampling, or is there any other one that I have not discovered yet? (any serious iPad sampling solution in development???)
And one more thing, I remember reading somewhere that in the early zendrum times there was a unit built that could be played with the feet, does anyone know how that worked out and if there have been other experiments into that direction?

David

www.framedrums.net
David Kuckhermann - Percussion, Zendrum
www.framedrums.de

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: super portable setup/ feet triggering?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

Hey David,
Thanks for checking back in to this forum!
The short answer is YES, there have been many experiments into playing Zendrum with feet incorporated.
John Emrich still does a lot of that while wearing an LT with a strap.
He's using a variety of pedals individually calibrated with the Z4 circuitboard we have now.
I'm looking at several prototypes into this arena right now. (stay tuned)

We still feel that it's most open-ended and creative for everyone if we don't put sounds inside the Zendrum itself.
There also has been much discussion of app development lately, but that's all still on the drawing board.
We did build a dedicated sound player called Zendrumdrive made for easy transport into difficult situations.
That platform would allow you to load your own samples and play them back in a roadproof package. 
Tell us more about handpans, sounds cool!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

David

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Framedrums.de
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

Hmmm, the Zendrum Drive is a bit big for me since I need ultra-portable, but maybe I should look into the Zap in combination with a laptop.
My idea with the foot control was to have something like a bunch of triggers organized like an organ pedal board so I can play basslines...
Handpans are young a family of instruments related to the steel drum, but played with hands and fingers.
They are extremely difficult to get and the scene around them is full of interesting quirks (for example you have to travel to Switzerland or Russia to get one, or win a lottery or write a letter with your motivation).
Here is an example from my recently released solo-CD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSQn7YK8vI
David Kuckhermann - Percussion, Zendrum
www.framedrums.de

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »

Heya David, long-time admirer here.  It was your videos on the Zendrum site that originally helped me to "crack the code".

Hang drums are fantastic instruments and (as you know) fantastically expensive.  I could never justify that sorta expense, but I do however have great fun with the next best thing:  http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/26-exotic-percussion/g29-pan-drums/

I started working on an original composition with those on Zendrum last year, but never finished :/

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »

Hi David,
hope you are keeping well. The new Yamaha DTX700 Module may be an option for you if you are trying to keep your rig compact. Only 64mB of sampling though, or there is the DTX900 module but that is nearly the same size as a laptop. 512mB Sampling capacity.

Cheers
Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up