Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call yourself?  (Read 2656 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
What do you call yourself?
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »

I'm currently playing a pit orchestra gig with my Zendrum.  Before the show opened, I was asked how I wanted to be credited in the program: drums, Zendrum, percussion?  Something else?

I settled on Percussion, though I think next time I'll choose Zendrum, because that's what I'm playing. 

It got me wondering though what others choose to title themselves as on a Zendrum gig?  Do you call yourselves Zendrummers or drummers or something else entirely? 

This is a topic I've pondered off and on over the last few years.  I really don't play traps anymore if I can help it, and with my discovery of the cajon two years ago, I can help it more than ever.  Personally I think I still consider myself a Drummer because I think in terms of drumsets, kick/snare patterns, etc.  I'm curious to know what others think.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: What do you call yourself?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »

If you represented the entirety of the percussion section, then you WERE the percussion section and would be correctly billed as 'percussionist'.
If you shared tasks with another percussionist (and they choose to address you individually) then it would be customary to call you out by your primary instrument (Snare, Concert Bass, Tympani, Triangle, Mallets, ...).

Of the course the Zendrum is a different beast, but I think you were right to claim 'Percussionist'.  There are always some wankers that would have thought 'Zendrum' to be less dignified, and of course that think of a 'drummer' as an uncouth, inferior, sub-species of 'Percussionist'.
Always take the snooty high-road, I says.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »

Well, when performing in Snootyville with my band Terry Lee & the G.T.'s I call myself "Wentwood Jackson Jr."-
When anybody asks why I play Zendrum instead of drums I say- because I'll smell so much better on the ride home.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »

I have many names...The greatness, the pocket master, the guy that plays that weird thing that sounds like drums, but mainly I am called "the drummer" by 90% of the bands I sit in with.  If I play congas with my kit sounds then I would say drums/percussionist.  I guess it would be dependent on the situations you are playing for.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »

As someone who has played in a lot of professional settings, I have a different spin on this....

Drummers drive
Percussionists follow

This is speaking from the perspective what we do.  I am a drummer.

BTW, this is not intended to stir it up.  Consider it a mindset.  God help the next person that hires me to play triangle... ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:25:09 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

After seeing a recent review that had my instrument described as a keytar, I think that I'm going to stick with the rule that if I'm playing Zendrum for a gig, I'll have myself listed as playing Zendrum.  Oy!
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »

As everyone can attest to that plays gigs, there is no shortage of people that ask " what is that thing?" I tell them it is a Zendrum, and then inevitably, like Ricky Ricardo said, "You got some 'splainin' to do!"
So I tell everyone I am a Zendrummer, and I get to play electronic drums and a full complement of percussion instruments all wrapped into one instrument. Then I demonstrate. Then they walk away either wild eyed and fascinated - or with that blank "deer in the headlights" look. Either way, I love rattlin' their cages!

"Wentwood Jackson Jr" ! ! ! ! ! ! Where the hell did THAT moniker come from, lol!!!
"you can call me Ray, and you can call me "J", you can call me Raymond J Jackson Jr...." yadda yadda yadda hahaha!

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »

God help the next person that hires me to play triangle... ;)

Would that get you black-listed somewhere as a trianglist or a triangulater?
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up