Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TD-30 anyone?  (Read 631 times)

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
TD-30 anyone?
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »

Hey guys- how's everyone been?  It's been a while since I have posted, I wanted to stop by and see what was new in Zenland!  Sooo....  TD-30- anyone get their hands on one of these little buggers yet?  Anyone who knows about me knows that I was a full force Roland guy for a long time ( have or have had TD-everything up til now...). I'm curious as to if anyone has actually played with one yet....  Fellas at another forum are already making decisions on the good/bad of the unit, but of them no one has seemingly played it personally yet. 

My gut instinct is that it is just another (basically) upgrade of the TD-20, and doesn't have anything all that groundbreaking that could persuade me to lay out that kinda $ on another module. The playability of software has seemingly just overtaken the module ....yet I still find myself using a module on gigs because of the sheer ease of it. 

I am going to eventually (I hope) get something along the lines of the Zendrive  or Receptor, and I think that will be the death of the module for me?  I love the modules for so long, and I want to be able to "back" them.... But I feel as though they are just the same "thing" lately (TD-12,  20, and perhaps the 30?) I don't know, maybe someone here has gotten their hands on the 30 and will say it is "that" much better....  Anyone?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: TD-30 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »

Hey Drumhead! welcome back!
I don't know if this helps, but the Zendrumdrive can act as AN EXPANDER for any existing trigger pad set.
Just MIDI OUT to ZDD MIDI IN and you're in VST land with a backup parachute inline.
Why throw away/rebuy the old pads and pedals when you can sonically bring them up to date?
It doesn't have to be either Zendrum/or pads, it can be BOTH played simultaneously.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:15:20 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »

Thanks David, it's good to be back. So if I am getting what you are suggesting, the ZDD can be in between the zendrum and the TD-20, and I can use one or the other, or a blend of both?  I had talked with my guitar player about trying to blend the TD- 20 with his BFD in a recording session and see what the result was- unfortunately we never ended up trying that ....

This may not be the right place for this question, but does the ZDD have other sounds such as bells/timp, etc?  Lately. I have been having to drag around my malletkat, and I have one of the old ones with sounds built in.  The ease of use/set up is great, but for shows that run a couple of weekends where I can be set up/stay put for a while, it would be nice to have a better sound source.  I'm sure this question is answered somewhere on the site already, but I just haven't taken the time to research it out too much as of yet....

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »

Hey Mike, here's the scoop-
You would plug the Zendrum into the MIDI IN of the Roland just like you did when you used both the pedals and pads AND Zendrum together before. Then from the MIDI OUT of the TD into the Zendrumdrive's MIDI IN - last in line.
That gets all your pedals and pads through a MIDI triggering interface combined with the Zendrum. The Zendrumdrive just acts as an expander for the sounds of both pads and Zen. Simple and quick. One MIDI cable does it.

Zendrumdrive is running Battery as the host for our library. That's what boots up as a default ready to play our custom drum library.
HOWEVER, it's just a computer, so you can install any software you prefer and set THAT as the default instead if you want.
Battery comes with over 12,000 sounds, too. I'm sure there are plenty of orchestra timpani and bells and thundersheets and gongs in there.
Anything you want to run will work in Zendrumdrive- BFD, Toontrack, Addictive, NI, East West, any of it.

We just got some great percussion sounds donated by John Emrich which will be included standard going forward.
MY PERSONAL THANKS TO JOHN FOR STEPPING UP AFTER MAYOR TOM ROADY LEFT US MUCH TOO SOON!
Congas, Cajon, Djembe, Bongos, Agogos, Shakers, and more all done with extreme dynamics and playability, just like our drum sounds.
Together, it all sounds AWESOME. A completely different playing experience than I've ever had.

My point before was that any existing drumpad e-kit can be updated and revitalized by adding a Zendrumdrive.
As I promised, all new samples we get finished will be free uploads to all Zendrumdrive owners "for life".
Sorry Mike- I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:54:03 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up