Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPORTANT: This Town Ain't Big Enough  (Read 3124 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
IMPORTANT: This Town Ain't Big Enough
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »

Hey all.

It is with a heavy and exhausted heart that Dave and I have agreed to shut down these forums.

All internet communication will be moved over to the Zendrum Corporation page over at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zendrum-Corporation/125010544947

The constant hacking and spam attacks have become too much and we're tired of it.  It's gotten to the point that there are individual humans now picking past security rather than just sending robot attacks and there's no way to set up enough scripts to stop someone who simply lies about their intent to join the forum.  Every few months, we drop new security in place and every few months they find away around it.  More than once the scripts have blocked actual users from joining and that also creates a problem.

Facebook is where its at these days, so we're going to be shutting the doors here and heading there.

New users cannot register at all here from now on.  In a week or so, this page will just send you to Facebook.

If there are specific threads you want archived, or any other comments you have about this change, please feel free to note them below.

Sincerely,

Paul / Geo

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:54:27 PM by DrumWagon »
Play nice.

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: This Town Ain't Big Enough
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »

A sad day indeed. Sorry it has come to this, but hopefully we'll all meet up again - virtually.
Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this forum.
Fare well!

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:21:24 AM »

I just received the email notification. Candidly, I haven't visited this forum in a long time, but I still play my Zendrum.

I completely understand and sympathize with your decision to close this forum. Spammers and other malicious actors are ruining the Internet. With the proliferation of malfeasance, I wonder whether, in time, it will be possible to conduct any responsible affairs using these technologies.

Hopefully, the FB page will be able to support this community. I look forward to catching up...

Ken Bour
Northern Virginia

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »

When I was first getting started with my Zendrum this forum was an invaluable fount of information.  It would be a shame if it couldn't continue to be available, even in read-only form.
There are threads here that are enormously informational, not to mention historical.  What we need is a preservation society  :D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »

The end of an era......

Is there some way to change the platform and thus make it more secure?

As I have mentioned a few times, I belong to several forums, and none of them have this kind of an issue with spam.

I will mention this problem to a friend of mine that runs a forum for Triumph cars, he may have some suggestion or way to save this (if in fact you want it to be saved?).

Can't hurt to ask I suppose, but all in all I sure do understand your frustrations. As just a user it became increasingly frustrating, I can't imagine the time and effort you put into this to keep it going... my individual thanks and kudos go out to you.

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

Just adding my huge appreciation to the Tribal members that have contributed to the forum (and of course, to those that have kept it in the condition it has been maintained).  It has been invaluable in my experience of learning to use the Zendrum and associated peripherals.   You really feel part of a clan on here.  Very sorry to hear the news but do appreciate the level of work that goes in to keeping a forum clear of "the nutters" that want to ruin it. 
Thanks again - will migrate over to whatever platform you next use and see you over there.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »

Sorry to hear this,  when i first got my Zen I lived on here for a while and it was priceless.   I stopped coming because of the spam and just having moved on i guess but this is a sad day.  Ive always been surprised as I'm a member of at least a half dozen forums non that have any of the the issues you do here ,  Like I said its a sad day and thanks to all the old-timers that helped me get my start with my zen in 2006.  Still playing a maple Zen Laptop model on all my solo acoustic guitar gigs and still get lot's of fun comments about it . 

Good Luck and goodbye all

Retro Surfer
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:42:03 PM by retro surfer »
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:24:57 AM »

No.

It got to the point where I was manually approving registrations only after interviewing users.  A few days later, they would use the login to send spam. 

If a human SAYS they are interested in Zendrum and answers questions, and still simply uses their login as a pathway in, there's nothing more to do.

No matter how secure you make something, if someone has the time and desire, they can get around security.

Play nice.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

Geo, has anyone written bayesian (or similar) filters for SMF yet?  This is still the standard that most sites use to block offensive (or just plain annoying) content.  Bayesian, along with a captcha to mitigate robo-posts is generally enough to keep the riff-raff at bay.

I have the same version of SMF running on a server here from when I was creating the "share your setup" feature.  If you need me to test out anything my services are yours.

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

A sad yet understandable state of affairs. 

I remember the move from the old forums to here; the first spam attacks and everything.  It disgusts me that this step has been necessary.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be making this migration with the rest of the Tribe.  Facebook creeps me out and I can't justify it to myself.

I look forward to the day when we can open our doors again to the non-FB crowd; until then--my sincerest best wishes to everyone. 

-Jaay, Tribal Nomad. ;)
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

Maybe instead of letting every Tom Dick and Harry join the forum make it a invitation only when you buy a Zendrum allowing only then,  posting capabilities. In other words view only.  Unless you have  a Zendrum you can only view the forum. I really hate to lose this forurm. It has a been a wealth on information to me and others also this forum has a family/tribal feel to it and it would be a shame to loose that connection with other Zendrummers. Maybe Drumwagon can help figure something out. Geo I do appreciate all the hard work that you have taken on with this. Dont give up just yet. There has to be another solution out there. Keep the faith. Thumper
Thumper

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »

No.
It got to the point where I was manually approving registrations only after interviewing users.  A few days later, they would use the login to send spam. 
If a human SAYS they are interested in Zendrum and answers questions, and still simply uses their login as a pathway in, there's nothing more to do.
No matter how secure you make something, if someone has the time and desire, they can get around security.

Well damnit then, that just sucks big time. I was hoping maybe that exact method would stop the spamming, but you've been there, done that, to no avail. What is wrong with these people? What pleasure can they possibly get out of doing that?

Sorry Geo, I'm sure you have spent countless frustrating hours trying to keep this going for all the reasons mentioned by all the commenters here. I will add I feel the same way and just hate to see it go down. Maybe...just maybe... someone can give ytou the help you need to clear this riff raff outta here and keep them out. I have my fingers crossed. This forum has been, and continues to be, the primary resource for everything Zen. I understand if it has to go, but I will sure miss the 'family' atmosphere.
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

What pleasure can they possibly get out of doing that?

There's a motive, but its not pleasure.

We'd really rather not get into the details.
Play nice.

Dr Evil

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

I too will add that I am sad to hear this news as I am a newbie to the Zendrum community, in fact just starting out.
I refer to this forum information on a regular basis, it would be nice to have the archives at our disposal for reference.

Will there be an avenue for information, advise and support moving to facebook?, I sure hope so as I am feeling lost now.
(I am still trying to get my Zendrumm, HatKat and BFD to play nicely together)

Cheers and thanks for all your efforts.
Zebrawood ZX - BFD 2.0 - EZ Drummer & Superior Drummer - Alesis D4 & DMPRO - WIN XP - Presonus Firebox - JBL EON-15

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »

Geo is there a way to keep the forum open for only those that own and can produce serial numbers and close it for all others. I know that this is asking a lot but there are maybe 100 active posters  that you could confirm and allow posting privileges that way you would only add those that went thru the Inspector . I really like this forum and would like it to stay if at all possible. Thumper
Thumper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up