Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive sound module?  (Read 2024 times)

Trumgottist

• Tribal Pledge
  • Bassoonist
    • View Profile
    • My website
Inexpensive sound module?
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:55:21 AM »

Hi!

I'm a wind musician. That probably makes me rather unusual in this company, but I'm interested in the Zendrum. I've not yet reached the point where I've decided to order one (it's quite a bit of money involved) but I am considering the possibility.

However to use a Zendrum one also needs something to make the sounds. The professional options that I see discussed here (Roland TD20 and similar things) cost way too much for me to even think about. Even if I had that kind of money to spare, I'd think twice about it. After all, I'm a wind player first, and I don't know how much I'd be playing the Zendrum in public. To begin with it'd mainly be a way to explore drumming on my own.

So my question to you is what are the options at the lower end? Is there anything below, say, $200 that wouldn't reduce a Zendrum to sounding like an expensive toy? (I have a MacBook, if that helps.) How high would I have to go?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Inexpensive sound module?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »

Hey there,
All you need is a $40 USB/MIDI adapter for the Mac to get started with GarageBand drumming- which sounds pretty realistic IMO, especially for a free program. There are several Zendrummers here who can help with GarageBand tips and tricks. Ask for "the Mayor" Tom Roady.
Hope this helps,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Trumgottist

• Tribal Pledge
  • Bassoonist
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »

Really? Cool.

That was an answer I hadn't dared hope for. If Garageband really is good enough, then it's only the price of the actual Zendrum left to weigh against my desire to start drumming*  and decide if it's worth it to me. (And then to decide on what colour to get.)

* (On something better suited for the purpose than the bell of my bassoon, that is. The bassoon bell does work surprisingly well - I can get a couple of different percussive sounds from it - but a Zendrum would be better.)

GaryLee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »

I use a Roland TD7 that I picked up off Ebay for $160, works great you can hook up cd player to it so you can play along.  I'm sure TD5 can be had for even less.  I find there is plenty of variety in the drum modules to get started and play gigs.

Trumgottist

• Tribal Pledge
  • Bassoonist
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »

And those sound ok? Good to know, thanks.

Regarding MIDI interfaces, is there anything I should be aware of or can I just buy anything? Is there any difference between models besides number of MIDI ports etc.?

(I've now placed the order for the Zendrum, btw.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up