Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding outputting on multiple MIDI channels?  (Read 3449 times)

CathodE

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Christopher}{cathodE
Question regarding outputting on multiple MIDI channels?
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:20:53 pm »

???
Hi everyone;
I don't have a Zendrum yet, but I am posting here in hopes that other users may be able to help me come up with a solution.  For the type of stuff that I do live, I need to be able to transmit on at least 5 unique midi channels from the same set-up (as they call it), or "patch", as I'm used to saying.  So, I understand that Zendrum can have/store 1 to 16 user-definable set-ups, or patches ... and from each of these I need EACH TRIGGER to be able to transmit on a unique channel where necessary (i.e. sampler A, sampler B, sampler C, SIMMONS SDE, Roland drum module ... you get it) albeit, some triggers in the same patch will undoubtedly be transmitting to that same device via the same channel number.  It's totally ok for Zendrum to Receive midi on a single channel.

Everyone still with me?

I had assumed the ZENDRUM would be able to do this, no doubt, as my trapKAT can send out independent channel #'s for each pad in a patch, as can my Roland SPD-11.  In fact, the Roland can actually transmit on 2 different channels for each of 8 pads, as each pad has two layers -- A & B -- which can send on different channels.  I am only bringing this up, as having thought the Zendrum could do this, and knowing how much I will spend on my Zendrum, I need to find the least expensive way possible around this obstacle.  In other words, I can't shell out $700 for a MOTU unit or something like that and also buy the Zendrum.  Not all at once, anyway.

So, any and all creative ideas from other Zendrum folks who have dealt with this kind of issue are welcome.  To all who ponder this -- Thank You very much.

p.s. -- has to be a "hardware" solution; I don't use any software platforms in the studio or live.

Thanks and best wishes,

Christopher
 ???

Relax. You have time ... B.S.R.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Question regarding outputting on multiple MIDI channels?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:40:25 pm »

To do what you want correctly with a hardware solution will require that you get a MIDI mapping device, like the Motu. 

Or, you can also set your rig up to receive the same channel for each piece of gear and build your patches to include dead notes.  For example, you want a sound on MIDI note 36 to come from sampler A.  You would take the other modules in your rack and assign silence to note number 36.  This was a common way to set up multi module rack systems befor the invention of MIDI mappers.  It would require you to reprogram your rack.  That might give you the opportunity to fine tune everything.  Things are moving more into the software world and what you are trying to do can still work, but you really need a mapper to maniupulate multiple machines.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:01:04 pm »

I go out to multiple boxes using the 'dead note' type thing John is saying.  Never had a problem with it.
Play nice.

CathodE

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Christopher}{cathodE
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 05:53:36 am »

Thank you both, gentlemen, for the sound advice.  This advice matched what Dave Haney told me also.  I know I can think this thing through.  I just want to have a solid gameplan before I dump the $1600 ... it needs to do what I need it to do -- plus look outstanding.

John -- I've been watching some of your videos on the Z site, and am enjoying them very much, as well as finding them highly educational!  I think I definitely want a ZLT now ... wasn't sure what it would be like to play/wear, but your video put my anxiety at rest.

Best wishes,

Chris
 8)

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »

Several ways to go I selected a MOTU which was only $220 from a store demo which gives eight in and nine outs in a simple pushbutton stile matrix and seems to be rock solid quite a few out there used for whatever reason as another option if you need it.   

I also have the laptop model and find it comfortable and very compact .  I debated which to try for a couple of months but no regrets
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:10:18 pm by retro surfer »
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 05:46:22 pm »

Hey all,

So I need some more clarity on this issue.  What Chris is asking is if the Zendrum can be programmed to send more than one channel on different triggers.  My understanding is no, the Zen can only transmit one channel at a time.  Even if you have a midi mapper, the Zen still only transmits one channel.  Is this correct? 
Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 05:58:17 pm »

Correct Raven!  However, a MIDI mapping devide will enable you to change from one MIDI channel out to multiple channels.  Think of it in terms of the incoming channel being redirected to any channel that you select.  The note number would remain the same unless you transpose the MIDI key.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 06:28:57 pm »

Thanks, John that was helpful. I am slowly wrapping my head around midi.  Chris, if you don't need  usb for your computer, you can pick up an older Motu midi timepiece for as little as 20 bucks on ebay.  That should make the option of a Zen much more affordable.

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

CathodE

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Christopher}{cathodE
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 06:41:51 pm »

:o
Hey, gang:

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses; Yes, Raven, MIDI can at times be pretty perplexing.  And by the way, I appreciate the suggestion about the MOTU Timepiece -- be it new or used -- however USB has nothing to do with the equation in my particular circumstance.

I only need each trigger in a "patch" to send on a single midi channel -- not multiple channels -- however this necessity is thwarted by the inherent fact that Zen will only send (transmit) on ONE channel per "patch" (set-up), for a total of a possible 16 patches (midi channels 1-16.)   But from any given "patch", I'll need to transmit with some trigs on Ch.2. some on Ch. 4 (two different samplers); some on Ch. 7 (Simmons SDE/synth...)  I think you get the picture.  And so that "patch" would be mapped, or set-up to handle, let's say, "song xyx" in my live set ...and the next patch would be "song la la la", in the set, etc.

But I do think a MOTU unit will do the trick.

To Retro Surfer:  If you are reading this -- if you don't mind my asking, which MOTU box do you use?  For my needs, something as simple as (1) IN and (5) to (6) OUTS should take care of  business.  I do, however, need something which can derive its power from AC current and not USB ... as no computer is used live ... just the multiple pieces of rack-mount and stand-alone hardware.

Keep the brainstorming going, people!
Thanks,
Chris

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 11:06:23 pm »

Mine is older but it's a early express XT and I selected it because I wanted the AC Power to be in the unit not supplied by the PC USB port for the unit I wanted it to work by itself without the PC if needed.  good luck I have not looked at them in a while so I'm not sure which have stand alone power anymore.
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 06:18:26 am »

Morning everyone. I am using a MOTU Midi Time Piece AV 8 in 8 out.  It has a lot of "bells and whistles" but for MIDI routing, it does a very nice job.  You can assign the in's and out's to any kind of combination you want.  This works out very well, especially if you are using multiple contollers, Zendrum ZX, Zendrum laptop, etc.  MY $.02  take care and stay safe.  Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

LeVillian

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 08:48:29 am »

All another solution that is less expensive is the MIDI Event Processor from MIDI solutions.  It will map what notes (read pads) you want to what ever channel (and note on that channel).  It sells for $149 on their site.

below is the sample setup

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 08:52:37 am by LeVillian »
Pages: [1]   Go Up