Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what's everyone doing lately?  (Read 922 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
So... what's everyone doing lately?
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »

Greetings Tribe!

It's been markedly quiet around here lately, so I thought I'd walk through the room banging two pots together and attempt to stir up some conversation.  What's everyone been doing with their Zendrums lately?  Anything new?  Anything exciting?

I recently posted a thread about foot triggers and Patch changing, and the research I've done has led me to the conclusion tha I'm actually better off executing that function from my Zendrum than my module.  Of course I've known for years that my Zendrum can change Patches on my module, I've done it several times, but never quite like this.  It's kind of exciting to really dig into this feature and see how it will affect my playing and my style.  I'm hoping it'll get me more into changing kits on the fly and using more sounds. 

So, your turn collectively!  What's new?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: So... what's everyone doing lately?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »

Been dialing in my Zendrumdrive mix and stage monitor eq, playing about 50/50 acoustic drumkit and Zendrum.

Can jump between the two in 5 seconds now and transition smoothly. I finally feel like I'm getting in control of the sounds, dynamics, and stage levels like I've always wanted. Wireless Zendrum/Zendrumdrive has to be on autopilot when I have to sing. When I can forget about the gear and simply perform the song - I'm where I want to be.

Been doing some cool recording using all 8 audio outs in studio mode.
Engineers are amazed how fast we set up and how good Zendrumdrive sounds in a mix.
I'll probably never mic- up a kit again, this is just too easy now!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:35:13 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »

Keep in mind that with your Zendrum using the older chip it changes kits pretty much instantly.Ex you can change from any number and go to a different one and there you are  If you should upgrade to the new Z4 it becomes a different 2 step process to change kits where you have to go to your patch then change numbers then you have to go back to the patch setting to save. It takes a little longer to do but between songs it is really not that difficult. If you change patches during the song you may have a little problem getting that done quickly. Thumper
Thumper

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »

The way around that is to already have the program # you want next selected ready to send with one left or right cursor push. One button push in real time then makes the change. Thumper's right- you will step through every program change between in sequence with Z3, Z4 selects and sends directly targeted changes.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:05:03 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »

Well, I've been tweaking my Roland TDW-20 module, and purchased some Vexpressions packs which I am also tweaking to my taste. They sure do sound lots better than the standard Roland drum samples. I continue to refine and modify my Zendrum setup. I was trying to get comfortable with 3 different setups, and finally decided on the one I like.  Now I gotta practice, practice, practice!
I also decided I'd like to spend some time behind a kit again as well. To that end I ordered a set of Diamond electric drums from Dave in the UK. See his stuff online ( http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/ )  or on the vdrums website ( http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum.php  ). Can't wait for the kit to finish up and arrive! I thought about going with an acoustic kit, and I really do love the sound, but I decided to stay with electronic for many reasons, first of them being that my volume is totally controllable.
So when I gig, I am now loaded down with gear, lol! That was one of the main benefits to the Zendrum, espeically when i played it thru the FOH PA! I brought the zendrum to gigs, a powered monitor, some wires and my module. Now... Zendrum & instrument stand, a boatload of wires, 2 Mackie Thump speakers, module & stand, mike/stand, 5 drums, cymbals, stands, pedals, hihat stand/cymbals, and.... well, I also need my cajon and a bag of percussion instruments, as well as my congas for a couple of songs, and.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
On a high note, the band has been playing music venues rather than bars, and we seem to be doing well in that regard. Also have several gigs lining up over the next few months, in a similar fashion.
Here's a video of one of our originals, done at the Tiverton Performing Arts Center a couple of weeks ago ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIAGwU73HrU ). We had a show, and had 2 female artists individually play a 30 minute set prior to us. We also did several songs with each of them, and one song with all of us! It was a really fun night!
More to come..... :-)

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

mesoiam

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

After years of keeping my zendrum indoors I'm out looking for a band to join. Posted a few replies to more open minded looking 'need a drummer' ads. I mention that I could play my DTXpress kit instead but what I really want to do is play zendrum, turn up with a laptop zendrum and amp and jam. Maybe it'll go nowhere, worth a shot anyway!
I've performed live with it only twice in the 5 or so years that I owned it and people seemed to really like it, a few people coming up afterwards to ask all about it. It certainly stands out!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »

Meeting up with Dr. Shark in Nashville on the 5th and 6th of May to go see Futureman talk the talk in a class that he is giving.  Not sure what to expect but it will probably be mind blowing.  Going to take my Zendrums with me and maybe even get to sit down one on one and learn something new.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up