Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a foot trigger (mod?) for Patch changing  (Read 731 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Need a foot trigger (mod?) for Patch changing
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »

Greetings all!  I cross-posted this to the V-Drums forum, but I'm trying to cover all my angles so I'm putting it here too.

I have a setup based around a TD-9 module and my Zendrum (3.1 software).  I've been changing my Patches using a pair of DIY trigger-boxes (the Beatnik box for those of you who remember the term) connected to the AUX trigger input and hitting them with my feet.  Not really stepping on them because there's no pedal-plate but just sort of whacking them with my toes.

They work to a point, but I'm starting to get annoyed with their idiosyncracies, and as I'm getting into a gig that requires a lot of Patch changes I'm looking for a better solution.  I want to keep a stomp-style solution and change things from the module, not from my Zendrum, and I don't want to have to get a huge outboard controller like a FC-100 to do it.

I have a TapKAT trigger from Alternate Mode which I think would do the job (I don't have the gear in front of me so I don't know how well the trigger would talk to the module), but the cable is WAY too long for my purposes.  I'd love to put a BOSS-style footswitch on there like an FS-6 or FS-5U, but that's a footswitch and I need a trigger.

I'm assuming that there's no trigger-sensitvity setting within the TD-9 that could be adjusted to "read" a footswitch, so I guess what I need is a way to modify an existing product, either shortening the cable on the TapKAT or modding the guts of the BOSS switches. 

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.  Thank you kindly!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Need a foot trigger (mod?) for Patch changing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Not sure what patches you are changing, but look into the Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller.  It has the ability to send patch changes (I have never used that feature though), I use it to send CC commands to my software.  I was using it with a TD-6V to change kits and it worked great.  It also has 2 expression pedals that can be used for volume, pitch bend, or whatever you want.  Hope this gives you another option.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »

Hey Jaay,
Another possible option would be a Behringer FCB1012. I bought one for this specific purpose. While it's a little bit large, and while I haven't had much time lately to work on improving my Zendrum abilities, the research I did on it seemed to suggest it could be used for this. Hope it helps.

Mike

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

Hey folks!  Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually wound up using my Zendrum to do the Patch changing after all.  My problem before was that I was using different Zendrum maps as well as Patches in my module, but I've decided to stick with the Map I use the most and just change the patches from there.  WOW what a difference it makes--I wish I figured this out years ago!    I'm switching stuff around between SECTIONS of songs instead of between numbers now!

However, the research I did when I was searching for a solution led me to some very interesting places as well so at least I have more information now as well.

An interesting side-effect of this process was that I've completely changed my floorboard as well as my trigger setup.  I'm using a smaller board now and a module setup with everything held down by zip ties instead of adhesive.  Makes everything a lot cleaner-looking as well as easier to move around.  I can show off some pictures later if there is interest.

Off to a gig--be well all!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up