Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Something in your stocking.  (Read 2365 times)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Something in your stocking.
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »

Sorry kids, Santa was a day late.   ::)

The public beta for ZenEdit 2 is now available!  Full details here:  http://nebiru.com/zenedit/index.cfm?event=beta

Here's your chance to check out what's new and to kick the tires.  I still have a few a tweaks to make before the final release, but I could also use your help in testing what's already there.

cheers!
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Something in your stocking.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:15 AM »

Oh BOY, This looks like FUN!
Nice going Darin!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »

Just downloaded the Zenedit 2.0 program last night, and it is really nice! There are a lot of different options available, and quite a lot more ability to tweak individual pads. The graphics look really nice! I am looking forward to playing with the program and exploring.

I am now really spoiled! I had some issues with my zendrum and getting MIDI OX to send my sysex file to the zendrum properly. I struggled for several hours and finally contacted Darin and Dave aka "The Inspector' ! Together, they were able to go above and beyond the normal 'customer service' help one would expect from small companies, and worked with me diligently over the past week until the issues were resolved. I am now able to upload and download MIDI signals between MIDI OX and my Zendrum with no problems. It is truly astounding the lengths they went to in helping me get everything squared away. I can't say enough about their caring and support. Never mind the bauty of the zendrum itself, and the engineering behind the Z4 and the Zenedit program.

If anyone has ANY hesitation about purchasing a Zendrum, upgrading a Z3 to a Z4, or purchasing the Zenedit program, JUST DO IT !!! You won't believe the differences, it truly is like playing a new instrument. And believe me, you will not get better personal support anywhere, from anyone!

Happy New Year Tribe!

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »

Version 2.0.5 (beta) is now up.  If you've installed the original beta you should be notified of the update when you launch it.

2.0.5 fixes a number of issues people were seeing regarding the main menu, particularly on mac os.

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »

Darin,

Love the changes in ZE-2 ! It's really great to have such control over all of my triggers, and seeing it graphically with your new window setup is really helpful.

Can you explain the 2 triggers off the zendrum, left and right?
I know the left one is volume control and several other options. Is this the trigger I use to set up my sustain button? If so, when I do that, does it change the setting for my volume dial?
And the right one on zenedit...I have 2 inputs on my zendrum, for (I guess) various pedal options (I have not used them to this point). There is only one input shown in zenedit. Is this the same deal, eg: set one, then change values and set another one, neither affecting the other?

Can you explain the various options and settings, how they are used on the zendrum and how to set them up in zenedit?

Thanks again for all your help. I just don't know how I could set up the zendrum as well, without zenedit!

Rand
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »

The items that appear below are any items that are generally on the back.

A stock Zendrum has a momentary switch (labeled "CC1") a change controller 1/4" jack (CC3) and a trigger jack.

If you've customized your Zendrum then CC2 may also be available to you, and if you've maxed out your triggers then the 1/4" jack is not available.

If you use the 'New Project' wizard then one of the pages asks for your particular load-out and sets things up accordingly.  If you're importing a project from ZenEdit 1 then it makes a best guess at what controls to display.  You can customize all these items on the 'Advanced' tab of the trigger editor to better match your setup.

Most all controls now have little question mark boxes next to them.  These take you directly to help topics on those features.  If you have an questions about what a particular control does, please check the help file as a first course.  Most of the dialog boxes now have help buttons as well.

HTH

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:22 PM »

Darin,

Thanks for the info. There is a lot more help available here than previously. Wow! I have been checking out the whole program, it is awesome. I can't tell you how useful the crossfade feature is becoming to me. It actually gives me so many more choices; layering sounds on particular triggers is terrific.

One question, in the new project wizard "Physical Configuration" window, I don't see a choice for my ZD. I have a momentary/sustain button, a volume control knob, and 2 trigger jacks. Am I not reading it right? Which choice is correct?
Thanks again!
Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

Are you certain you have 2 trigger jacks?  Generally one is a trigger and one is a cc.

Best course is to just pick the setup that most closely matches.  You can always alter the items from the advanced tab.  All the wizard is doing is choosing the trigger type and midi message for you, which you can override or setup manually later.

If you truly do have 2 trigger jacks though, I can go ahead and add that as an option in the next update.

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »

Darin,

I believe I do have 2 trigger jacks. I don't use either of them at the moment, but may do that in the future. Still, it would be nice to have the capability of setting them up using zenedit.

View pictures here, let me know.....

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq18/randtor/

Rand

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »

Yes, two jacks, but my question is are they both triggers.  Usually one is a cc.

The Z4 has 33 addressable inputs.  The factory default is for this to broken down into 30 triggers and 3 ccs.

A stock ZX has 24 triggers on the front, a sustain button on the back (cc #1), a cc 1/4" jack (cc #3) and a 1/4" trigger jack (trigger #25). 

If you've maxed out the triggers one the front (i.e if you have 30) then the trigger jack on the back is probably disabled or possibly set to CC #2.  If you've had a cc knob installed (looks like you did) then that is probably cc #2 instead.

My guess is the best load-out configuration for you is the second in the list, "(1) Momentary Switch, (1) CC Knob and (1) CC Jack".

David, please correct me if any of this is wrong.

HTH

Ask me about:

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »

Hey fellas,
I went back through all my communications with Rand and this is what I "think" his configuration is-
He has 30 triggers, one cc knob, one cc jack, and one trigger jack that is coupled with an existing trigger. If I had to guess which one that is- it would be L1. To be honest, the only way to tell for sure is to plug a trigger pedal in and watch the onboard display in NO mode to settle the question.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »

Gents,

I'm not really schooled on the differences between a cc jack and a trigger jack. I did plug a 'trigger' pedal ( a studiologic PS-15) into the jack on the left, and it says "9" when I depress the pedal. When plugged into the right jack, I get no #. The volume control on the left side on the back of the Zendrum gives me "7" when I turn the knob.

I tried plugging a Roland KD-7 kick drum trigger into both jacks and I got nothing. The KD-7 does work when I plug it into the TDW 20 "kick" jack.

So, is my approach wrong here? Should I be using a different sort of "trigger" pedal, or switch of some sort? I seem to recall the PS-15 pedal was problematic (from old posts)  and therefore may not be an appropriate pedal to use with the zendrum, or for this test.

Rand

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

So the three cc inputs are the sustain button, the knob assigned to volume command, and the left-hand jack.
The right-hand jack is still undetermined at this point.
If you'll email me directly, we can discuss what's what and how to proceed to configure like you want.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »

Thanks Dave, will do.

Darin, will give you a heads up when we get this figured out, for future reference, just in case there are others out there like this.

btw, this is NOT a major issue. I just didn't know which set up to use in the new program. It ALL works fine, and the program is fabulous!

Rand

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »

Because you added 6 extra triggers and the wireless mod, chances are we didn't repatch that jack.
Not a problem to reconfigure if it ever becomes necessary in the future.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up