Zendrum Stuff > Tech Help

MIDIJet Wireless MIDI lag time

<< < (2/3) > >>

THUMPER:
I have been using a Motu Fastlane midi to USB interface and do not notice a latency. All computers will have some lag but you can get it to a managable level thru settings and your hardware. Like Pocketmaster said sometime the farther you get from the speakers you will hear a definate lag. I try and stay 10-15 feet in front of mine. Thumper

THUMPER:
Pocketmaster what is the midi interface that you and Dr Shark have? Thumper

Inspector 109:
We've had many debates around here about what human hearing is capable of discerning.
Technical facts say I'm wrong, but I can feel a very tiny change in speed beyond what wise experts will state is "real" so I understand your nagging feeling that something is not quite right on top of the beat, and the struggle to correct that in real time with how you play.
Every device has a response curve and processing speed all it's own, finding some combination that you can live with seems like a tall order sometimes. Mostly everybody wants to tell you that it can't possibly be their fault and they can prove it on paper! ::)
I've been about 200 feet from the stage during soundcheck to test the MIDIJet.
As far as I can tell the MIDIJet doesn't add any latency to my drumstrokes.
Getting away from the front house PA by even a few feet makes a huge difference, though.
Usually. I'm three feet away from the receiver with headphones on to mix the whole band.
My sense of it is that even 10 feet from a speaker makes a noticeable smear in what you hear from what you hit.
Try a long heaphone cable or wired in-ear monitors to A/B test my theory for yourself.
If there actually seems to be a technical issue, please let me know and we'll get it sorted out together immediately.

Pocket Master:
Thumper,

Shark is using the MOTU 5 by 5 I believe for connecting all of his gear.  I go back and forth between the M-Audio Midisport 4 x 4 and the UNO Midi to USB cable.  It depends on how many items I am hooking up.  If it is just my foot pedal and my Zendrum, then I will most likely use the UNO, one on each piece of gear.  If my Macbook is going to be off stage, then the UNO is not long enough for me to run from the foot pedal to the mac, so I switch from the UNO to the Midisport so I cun run a long MIDI cable from the pedal to the mac, I usually run wireless on my Zendrum so the UNO will work for that or I can plug the wireless into the Mdisport as well.  There are so many ways to hook it up that it just comes down to what works for you.

Rob

tigerxchaos:
Hey Inspector,
I would have to guess that the latency, whatever it is, is probably not a technical issue. I talked with one of my bandmates who is very knowledgeable with electronics and MIDI, and he said it's very probably just a tiny delay caused in processing the wireless transmission, coupled with the standard ASIO sound card delay. The problem I have when deciding how much of a concern it is, is that I know I'm sensitive to such things (I can see CRT TV screens flickering and so on), so would the average person listening or playing with me also notice? I'm starting to think not. I think it's just something I need to get used to... I am doubting whether or not a 128th note would be a major issue for anyone. Even my drum training software marks anything less than a 64th note off as "perfect".

I'm sure it could also be a delay in the 3 feet or so between my ears and my monitors when I'm practicing at my studio desk. Sound waves are nowhere near as fast as radio waves, and it's such a small delay that I could just
I'll give it a test with headphones on tonight and see if I notice any difference. When playing live, I'll have in-ear monitors so it's not going to be an issue there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version