Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live eKit That is Kind To Your Hands  (Read 692 times)

Michael8773

Live eKit That is Kind To Your Hands
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »

Guys,

I need your feedback please.  Can you recommend an electronic kit that is Zendrum compatible but it truly easy on your hands?

I have an Alesis DM-10 drum module for my Zen (just the module not the kit).  I was going to go ahead and get the DM-10 studio kit (with mesh type heads) but the the sales clerk mentioned his drummer just played a live gig with the kit and his hands were killing him.

I also have a Yamaha DTExlporer (NOT Zen compatable) that hurts my hands when I use it live.

What can you guys suggest that is not gonna cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Michael

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Live eKit That is Kind To Your Hands
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »

In my experience, the mesh heads are easier on your hands than the rubber ones, however you need to toy around with the tension.  Oddly enough, the mesh heads seem to have LESS bounce when cranked up, as opposed to a mylar head which is pretty much the other way around.

You should also try a variety of sticks to see what works best for you.  There are sticks specifically designed for hitting pads (Vic Firth's "E-stick" for instance) and also sticks designed to reduce the amount of vibrations passed back to your wrists (Zildjian anti-vibe).   Everyone is different of course, and individual technique pays a big part of it too. 

The most important thing is to not hit too hard.  That can take a considerable amount of self control, especially when the band is cooking.  Making sure you can hear yourself well enough in the monitors helps immensely too.  When I can't hear myself, I instinctively hit harder...  that's a no-no.

Of course the very best electric setup that is easy on your hands is the Zendrum!   ;D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rsanto

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:53 AM »

I agree about the sticks.  When I got my first Roland kit (V-Custom TD-8), I used Kit Tools "Ghost" sticks that were extremely lightweight and seemed easier on the hands and wrists.  I play a TD-20 kit now and I like the Zildjian Anti-Vibe sticks.  If I use ordinary 5Bs, it feels like I'm beating the crap out of the pads, but I do squeeze a little more performance out of the VH-12 hihat.   I'd recommend the Zildjian Anti-Vibes to relieve hand/wrist fatigue and pain issues when playing rubber pads.  And, if you're in pain after playing your Zendrum, you've got things set up wrong!

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »

Do check out Al's work at www.boomtheory.com

Closest ekits to a regular drumset. He can tailor the pads response to your particular Module.

Was in a Dublin store today, had a quick go on the new Yamaha DTX7OO mid-line set. Impressive sounds, 64mB of Sampling via USB key (MIDI In for Zendrummers) and their new Silicon Drum pads were pretty nice too.

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:21:03 AM by MustangMick »

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »

You should also try a variety of sticks to see what works best for you.  There are sticks specifically designed for hitting pads (Vic Firth's "E-stick" for instance) and also sticks designed to reduce the amount of vibrations passed back to your wrists (Zildjian anti-vibe).   Everyone is different of course, and individual technique pays a big part of it too. 

digitalDrummer reviewed a range of sticks and I must say I didn't notice anything beneficial with their the e-sticks or the anti-vibes. If it helps, we evaluated a range of sticks on their feel and response on mesh and rubber.
I would say the major factor is finding a sticks that "fits" - the right weight and balance. And while people seem fanatical about identical weight of the sticks, I don't seen too much reason to focus on that - our hands are not equally strong, so why get fixated on matched weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up