Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland Modules  (Read 2611 times)

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Roland Modules
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:47:08 am »

I am going to purchase a Roland module for use with my Zen "I want the Roland sound and portability) outside of the rack and Motif I am using now (also have alesis DMpro and DM5 I was going to purchase the SPD-20 but several people have said that I should stick with the TD-6v because of ease of use and sound capabilities anyone have a opinion or experience with these modules?  I play mostly Latin and hand drum style kits so far.  I got a very small PMA-5 Roland and like the sound allot which is one of the reasons I going towards a Roland.

ps I finally found a PDF digital copy of the manual for the PMA-5 if anyone is looking for one.
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
Re: Roland Modules
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:21:20 am »

Personally if I had a DMPro/DM5 and a Motif.....buying another module would be a waste of money. Yes portability but having a Module/Merge box etc. safely housed in a 2U rack case in my experience far outweighs having a smaller module but then loose cables/Merge box all over the floor at gigs waiting to get stood on.

If you were thinking of a TD-20 module you may be better off going for the Muse Receptor/BFD route like John Emrich.

Mick

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:50:19 am »

having a Module/Merge box etc. safely housed in a 2U rack case in my experience far outweighs having a smaller module

Definitely.
Play nice.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:40 am »

very true and made me realize some important pieces of info I accidently left out of my post.  My DMPro is dying at a rapid pace (it's newest trick is the screen is blank 80% I only see the top line of all characters so I get to guess at all settings) it's my second in 18 months but since I have bought second hand Ive been somewhat less than thrilled and out of luck. so I am looking for something newer. the Motif is permanrly mounted in my studio to an electric drum set with all of the cables ets. for a full set and pedals and stuff that go with that so the DM5 is the one I will be replacing and while it has been fine I would like a little more flexibility than it has.
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:54:34 am »

I have multiple modules including the Roland TD-20 , the Roland PMA-5 and a Korg Triton rack mount.  When I was invited spontaneously to play at a small bar right around the corner from me, I found it alot easier to just grab the TD-20 and go.  From a portability standpoint I find the less I have to carry the better and in this case it was just my Zendrum stand (which has the TD-20 mounted on it, my zendrum, the merge brick and a few cables.  I hooked into the house system and we were rockin away in less than 5 minutes.  And I didn't have to lug a rack large or small.  Just my peice of eight worth.  Arrggghhhh!!!!!

Pyrate 
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:20:20 pm »

As I started the "your set-up consists of..." section. You can go there to see it. I currently use the Alesis DM Pro as my main sound source.  I purchased another one and have it in a smaller rack that  I can carry around with me for smaller/simpler gigs.  Another cool reason for buying another DM Pro is I was able to do a "data dump" from one module ot the other so I can stay consistant with the sounds.

I do support keeping your modules, merge box, etc. in a rack. It's all fun and games until your gear stops working.  Even if your not using a "rack module" put in on a shelf keep it all tucked away.  The smaller rack (like my bigger set-up) is "plug and play". Safe and simple.  Just my $.02  Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 07:54:16 am »

I'm a "module" guy at this point.   I have the Roland Td-20,  and the TD-12, (I only use one at a given time) and with tweaking you can get very good sounds out of them.  I LOVE the ease of set-up factor.   I'm intrigued by the Muse Receptor,  but I haven't had "enough" of a reason to go that route as of yet.    Like Pyrate --  I can literally be set up in 5 minutes.   And even better than that is breaking down in 5 minutes!!

funky_d

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:50:26 pm »

Hey man,
Well here's my 2 cents on the whole MIDI Sound Module thing. Be very wary of the Roland... I HAVE owned several Roland products and now I own NONE. Roland seems to really price their stuff high. EXAMPLE: The newest top end Roland V-Kit is well over 5000, where as the Yamaha Equivalent (DTXtreme IIS) costs over $2400 LESS MONEY. Is the Roland better, HELL NO! My Yamaha DTXtreme IIS sounds fantastic, it can do sampling, doesn't have 60 or 70 useless "drum kits"  and is very reliable. You can get the Module only for the DTX (DTXT2SU) for around $900 (half the price of a  Roland TD-20) and the thing is absolutely amazing.
Another issue I have with Roland besides pricing is where they decide to cheap out to save a few cents here and there. For example, the power adapter for the V kit  is a flimsy piece of crap, a very expensive piece of crap, but not pro grade stuff. I have owned a V-kit and a HandSonic , sure they are fun to bang on, but I don't feel that they hold up well under the rigors of live performance (I was setting up and tearing down 6 nights a week) after just a few months they started to show the road wear.
My V-Kit Had a blow out one night and I waited two and a half months for a 45 cent part to come from Roland. They also tried to back out and say it wasn't covered by warranty, but I complained enough to enough people that they only ended up charging me around $150 instead of $450 - All for a piece that was defective, according to the Roland licensed repair guy who worked on it.
In short be very aware of what you are buying, and remember just cause it costs more doesn't mean its better. I know a few guys who have had some of the cheaper Roland kits, and they really didn't like the scaled down features included (small memory, pcm samples of real v drums, etc.)
So that's what I think,
If anyone cares...

FunKyD
Pages: [1]   Go Up