Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSE Cylindrical PA: Anyone have opinions?  (Read 2295 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
BOSE Cylindrical PA: Anyone have opinions?
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:44:57 PM »

Howdy All,

Still looking (aren't we all?) for the perfect sound.  My Zendrum goes through a Muse Receptro running DFH.  I currently use the following sound reinforcement stuff in various combinations:

1 pr. Mackie 15" powered subs
1 pr. AccuGroove 112 cabs w/ QSC PLX-3002 amp
1 pr. AccuGroove 210 cabs w/ QSC PLX-3002 amp

Last night I took a 112, a 210, and a sub.  It sounded incredible, but the strange thing is, the sound didn't "carry" well (crappy sounding room, for sure).  I found the sound to be SLAMMIN' on stage, but 20 feet out, I thought it sounded.boxy and lifeless.  Loud, but not crisp.  I think it's because the Accu's have surface-mounted tweets, no horn.  Just a guess.

Anyway, here I am looking for something new (as usual) and wanted to know if anyone is using the Bose L1 stuff.  I think I'd want a pair of poles with 4 bass modules ($$$!!!).  I want to be able to fill a room at pretty smokin' volume, crisp, punchy, and clean.  I play jazz, funk, and rock on my Zendrum in 3 different groups, and would take different amounts of gear to different venues.

I used to own a pair of Barbetta Sopna 41s.  They do sound great, but just couldn't hack it volume-wise (even the pair).  I moved up to the AccuGrooves, which are certainly VERY cool and loud, but they aren't cutting it for me (pun intended) at a distance.  Low to medium volume gigs with them are incredible though...check 'em out.  I want to have chest-thumping volume if I need it!

Let me know if you have any experiences to share!

jer

Tom Phils

Re: BOSE Cylindrical PA: Anyone have opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:32:03 PM »

DITTOS

I am looking for the UBER 3-D, slappin, poppin, ZEN+VOCALS+???, small/medium venue P.A.

The new BOSE stuff looks promising.

Tom

timecutter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »

For what its worth:  July 4 I went to hear some friends' Calypso Band (3 on steel drums, plus congas, drums, and trumpet, plus vocals) playing outdoors.  They miked & mixed the whole band into one Bose cylindrical upright and subwoofer.  They sounded great, and I was kinda surprsed when I realized how they were doing their sound.  They placed the upright & subwoofer behind them, so it served as their monitor too.  They were not playing at death metal volume, by any means, but they had a good size crowd dancing.  No feedback problems.     They're really liking their Bose system.   They were playing "in the round" - middle of a big lawn - and the Bose setup was really cool for that. 

Mark

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:08:11 AM »

I have been using the Bose for a couple of years with my spd-20 and now tweaking it with my zendrum. The sound clarity is great. I use it for vocals, IPOD, and drums.  The highs  and midrange sounds carry a long way without much loss of volume or clarity  due to the fact that they are a line array speaker not like like your normal amplification.  The bass notes do not carry as far! For drums I would reccomend at least 2 of the subs in smaller venues and get 2 more with the packlite option to power a total of 4. Another option. you can always add a 3rd party sub thru the Bose bass line out for more bass and some have done this. Keep in mind though that Bose has tuned their system to work with 1,2,3,4, of their subs no matter what configuration that you use. Hope that this helps  THUMPER
Thumper

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:36:54 AM »

I went to a Bose outlet in Riverhead, NY, not far from where I live.  I wanted to hear one of these things.

I approached the sales dude and asked to see one in action.

"Oh, we don't have those here.  You have to go to a specialty store."

A SPECIALTY STORE!?  Its a freakin BOSE store!  How much more special can you get!?
Play nice.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »

You might try a Guitar Center if there is one close to you.  They are the only other  that may have a demo in their stores other than Bose! THUMPER
Thumper

Docdrums

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:16:32 PM »

I have used the Bose system for while now an I have been very pleased with it for sound and portability.  I have the  L1 system with the packlite and 4 subs.  If there is not a Guitar Center close in your area you can order one directly for Bose and they offer a 45 day tryout period.

timecutter

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »

Doc - what kind of music are  you playing?  What kind of kits/sounds are you playing out of that Bose setup?   

thanks

Mark

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »

OK Guys,

I read EVERY review on Musiciansfriend.com (69 total) and I decided to jump in...I got on eBay and 24 hours later had purchased 2 L1's with 2 B1 subs each...2 poles and 4 subs.  I will let you know what I find out; the first set is supposed to be here Tuesday and the second set should ship out tomorrow.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up