Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using hatKAT with expression pedal input  (Read 1258 times)

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Using hatKAT with expression pedal input
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »

I recently got the hatKAT pedal to use with my Zendrum to convert to MIDI CC to send to my Nord Drum 2. However, when I move the pedal, the MIDI In indicator on the Zendrum doesn't light up until it's halfway depressed. My guess is that the hatKAT pedal is sending a bipolar signal where the Zendrum is expecting a unipolar signal. Am I correct on that?

Is there any way to fix this issue in my Zendrum setup so that I can use the full range of physical motion on my hatKAT?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Using hatKAT with expression pedal input
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »

Hello,
Could it be that your Zendrum is a version 3.0 instead of a current Z4 circuitboard?
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »

If it's a 4.x board, you should try to run the calibration function (outlined in the manual) to set the upper and lower bounds of the pedal sweep.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

I am certain it's a Z4 circuit board, I've followed the instructions in the manual to get the version number and it's '41'. I've just gone through the calibration again and I'm getting the same behavior. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:23:07 PM by rhombus »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »

I'd hook up the output to your computer and use MIDI-OX, etc to analyze what's being output.  Does the pedal work when connected directly to the Nord? 
You can also export your SysEx into ZenEdit to check what the calibration settings are for the pedal and try tweaking them.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rhombus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »

Okay, I'm using MIDI-OX to test both the hatKAT and a generic volume expression pedal to compare (calibrating again when I switch, of course). The Zendrum receives/sends no signal until the hatKAT is depressed more than half way. With the volume expression pedal, the Zendrum sends/receives a signal throughout the full range of motion of the pedal. I'm afraid the problem (or limitation?) is with the hatKAT itself, which is a shame because I really like its spring action.

Alas, I haven't purchased ZenEdit yet, it's on my list to do for sure. The Nord Drum 2 doesn't have a hi-hat control input, just 6 trigger inputs and MIDI. So I'm trying to use the Zendrum to be the bridge from the hatKAT to the ND2.

I figure at this point we've exhausted the Zendrum end of the cable, thanks much David and DrumWagon for your help.

I wonder if there are any users with specific experience with the hatKAT to tell me if this is just how it works or if it's malfunctioning?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:57:05 PM by rhombus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up