Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sustain button/switch w/ BFD3  (Read 254 times)

meagvg

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Sustain button/switch w/ BFD3
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »

Hello All,

I know there was a previous post about mapping the sustain button to BFD. I've read through the posting, but I'm not sure whether there was solution.

I'm trying to get the sustain button to stop processing sounds - to have the Zendrum go quiet and choke cymbals (usually at the end of a song).

I've messed around with changing the CC# assignment on the trigger, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. BFD will register the input and will map. My question is what parameter should I map to in BFD?

I've tried mapping to "mute" on the master volume. BFD will assign the correct CC# to the mute button, but the sustain button remains inoperative.

Any help is appreciated.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Sustain button/switch w/ BFD3
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:48:03 PM »

Technically any CC value can be used, however you should try to use one that doesn't have common usage.  Here are the available values :https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2

What host/daw are you using?  If you have a plugin chain that includes a MIDI filter then another possibility is to convert the CC message into a NOTE ON one.  That way you can map a choke articulation directly in BFD and target one cymbal rather than cutting off all sounds.
If you happen to use REAPER as a DAW then I have a utility I wrote to do just that: http://nebiru.com/drumWagon/page.cfm/ReaperJS

HTH
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

meagvg

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »

Hi Darin,

Thanks for the reply.

I've used both CC64 and CC123 for mapping. BFD will show the midi signal being sent correctly, but I can't figure out which button within BFD to map the sustain switch.

After reading John Emrich's reply in another thread, I tried to find a "panic" button as he suggested. It wouldn't surprise me if it's there, and that I don't know where to look. That's why I tried mapping the sustain switch to the "mute" on the master volume. BFD takes the mapping, and correctly assigns the CC#, but there's no effect.

I'm not using a DAW right now, as I play using BFD3 as a standalone program with streaming tracks or iTunes files.

Regarding a MIDI chain, I'm new at this so I'm not sure what that is. I have a Behringer MIDI interface to a Macbook Pro.

Thanks again.
Mike

meagvg

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »

Just  a quick update...

I've found the "panic" button in BFD3 (right in front of me!).

The panic button will take the CC# mapping. Clicking the mouse will stop all sound processing, but it doesn't respond when sent from the Zendrum.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Pages: [1]   Go Up