Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplification for live  (Read 1568 times)

Effraktor

Amplification for live
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:27 PM »

Thought i'd get the opinions of people who may have experience with this.

What is the best way to amplify electronic drums. Such as from bfd2, battery etc.

The thing that comes to mind would be to use a PA system that incorporates subs, mids and treble using a crossover, would this kind of frequency range be overkill or would it be needed to get the best sound out of the lows of bass/toms etc. and highs of cymbals.

I've been recommended a keyboard amp as a good thing to use for smaller locations, rather than a full pa system. But right now i'm using an "old" set of 7.1 computer speakers that is more than enough for practicing. Would a keyboard amp provide me a first step when i start gigging or would i be better off building a "mini pa" that incorporates a full range of speakers? (or does something like that already exist?)

Also, if i had a full PA system, would putting the electronic drums and vocals through it sound bad? I've played gigs where the sound tech put guitars, drum mics, bass through the PA andthe  vocals just get drowned out. Will that always happen or was there just way too much of everything in the mix?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Amplification for live
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »

I have tried EVERYTHING, and I swear by the Bose L1 systems.  I use 1 with 2 subs for small gigs, and 2 with 4 subs for larger.  And I have put the WHOLE band through there too, very successfully.  I use a pair of Mackie powered 15" subs for rock band gigs (the Bose subs are kinda wimpy).  Pricy, but worth it!

Jer

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »

Would love to have the Bose set-up, but can't justify that $$$ (yet). 

I currently use 1 or 2 JBL EON G2 powered speakers depending on the gig.  These work very well and are easily handled.  I A/B'd the JBL EON G2's and Mackie 350's and found the JBL's more to my liking.  At pratcies, I have run a guitar, vocals and my Zendrum (TD-10exp) through the JBL (has 1 XLR and 2 1/4" inputs).  JBL also has (or did the last time I looked), an EON sub-woofer add-on with cross-over built in.

With drum sounds, you want to get a good low end sound - 15" speakers recommended. 

In the end, it's up to your ear, your wallent and your back.  Enjoy the ride.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

In the end, it's up to your ear, your wallet and your back.  Enjoy the ride.

Great quote!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

I started out using a pair of monitors run through a Mackie power amp with a mixing board, what I found was it was not compact enough and I was trying to eliminate hauling tons of gear to a gig.  I asked the forum for a solution and the Inspector sent me this link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-K3000FX-300-Watt-4-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp-103643219-i1173576.gc

I bought one from guitar center (they were in stock) and I have no complaints with it at all.  It is a little heavy but I only need the one amp, plug and play.  It has an XLR out so you can use the amp for stage volume and then run the XLR to the PA if you need to.  I play smaller clubs and coffee house type gigs so the 300 Watt amp is usually more than enough to keep up with any guitar player.  I did end up putting caster wheels on the bottom so I don't have to carry it anymore, it just rolls to the van and to the stage.  Hope this helps.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:47:52 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

I remember a discussion about this not too long ago where someone mentioned using a bass guitar amp which had a eq head unit.  The model had the number 250 in it, but I can't remember the brand name (senior moment). It had two 15" speakers as I recall.   There was a whole thread discussion about it and I'm sure with a little patience you might be able to find it.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Tom Roady

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »

In  comment to Rob's post...I love Behringer stuff...they have always been blasted about duplicated more cheaply the Mackie stuff and other manufacturers products....this looks like another case of that...I have two Roland KC-500 keyboard amps that I love...now they are KC-550 models...Kim Daniel also uses one for gigs as well as a P.A. he has...but these look exactly like mine only a couple of hundred bucks cheaper...I stereo mine and they kick as...they also are on casters...weigh about 80ibs each and have four channels , headphone jack, 3 band eq, and mic input...if they sound anything like mine they would be a great price for a portable system for zendrummers...and stereo is way cool..by the way Rob...I'm heading to St.Louis on the 18th for 4 days...maybe we can hook up...I drive thru Illinois close to you on the way there..."the mayor"

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

Sounds good Tom, send me an email and I will send you a reply with my phone number so you can give me a call.  I don't mind coming over to St. Louis, it is only a 15 minute drive for me right off of I-64.  My email is robanderson6287@charter.net.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Effraktor

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »

I started out using a pair of monitors run through a Mackie power amp with a mixing board, what I found was it was not compact enough and I was trying to eliminate hauling tons of gear to a gig.  I asked the forum for a solution and the Inspector sent me this link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-K3000FX-300-Watt-4-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp-103643219-i1173576.gc

I bought one from guitar center (they were in stock) and I have no complaints with it at all.  It is a little heavy but I only need the one amp, plug and play.  It has an XLR out so you can use the amp for stage volume and then run the XLR to the PA if you need to.  I play smaller clubs and coffee house type gigs so the 300 Watt amp is usually more than enough to keep up with any guitar player.  I did end up putting caster wheels on the bottom so I don't have to carry it anymore, it just rolls to the van and to the stage.  Hope this helps.

Rob

how does the sound from that compare to a live drum kit? I know the average person pays more attaention to the singer and guitarist than the drums but I could imagine never hearing them end of it if the drums are lacking. I want people to crap bricks over how awesome it sounds :P to put it bluntly

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »

There is a lot of punch in that amp.  It has a 15" woofer and a small horn.  There is an EQ on the amp so you can really pump the kick and then add some crisp high end.  There is also the XLR out on the back that I can run to the PA if it is a bigger venue and just use the amp for a stage monitor.  Everyone that I have talked to cannot tell the difference between a live acoustic kit or an electronic kit coming out of that amp.  I sat in with a group of friends and the drummer had a full acoustic kit.  I brought in my Zen and hooked up my amp, we played together and I was able to add other parts such as percussion and it blended in just fine, I was standing out in the crowd playing my Zen and the amp was next to the kit on stage, both were equal in sound.

Rob

Candlestrobe

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »

Not chaep, but highly recommend Phil Jones Bass amps. They use proprietary smaller sized speakers that are faster and can cope with rapid sounds such as percussion beautifually
Pages: [1]   Go Up