Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Hero II - great finger practice  (Read 2468 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Guitar Hero II - great finger practice
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »

I got Guitar Hero II for my Xbox 360.

Wow.

This is like finger rudiments for Zendrum, but with scoring and heavy music.

I suggest everyone go get it to learn finger independence.
Play nice.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Guitar Hero II - great finger practice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »

I just played that the other night at a friends party, as a guitar player my first thought was that it was kind of cheesy but as the night wore on and the brew flowed t was kinda fun and harder than it looked I play guitar and have for 30 years and I got smoked by friends who's only musical instrument is a ipod
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:27:49 AM »

It is NOT an instrument at all.  It has more in common with Tetris than playing guitar.

That said, musicians, particularly keyboardists, drummers, and those weird Zendrummers, should have at least some built in skill.

And man, that game is addicting.
Play nice.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:22:28 PM »

Guitar Hero is the only video game that I can play and beat my kinds!

John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »

You know; I don't think I'm a bad drummer but I have almost no luck with these types of games!  The one exception was a taiko game I used to play--that one I was very good at.  But on the whole, those things go right over my head.  The only consolation I take in it is kind of like what Geo said: it ain't music.  It's timing-based, but there's really no musciality in it.  That being said, there was a game I played once called "frequency" which had similar play but you could choose different lines of the arrangement to try and match--ie bass, drums, etc.  It was an interesting take on it.  Now that I think of it, I'll have to go back and try my hand at it again.

-Jaay
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:27:59 PM by Jaay »
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

GaryLee

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 10:51:06 PM »

Check out Amplitude it's like frequency, you will enjoy it.  I've been zenning alot, I think I'm getting used to this instrument.  I saw a nice looking blue one go on Ebay for $910 plus shipping.  Newer unit, someone got a good deal, maybe.  Well back to the Zendrum, gonna try some country music on this thing.

rimshot

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:47:46 AM »

I've just started playng GH2 too!!!

Not sure if it will help my Zendrumming, but its a hell of a fun game!

Kelsin

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »

Found this topic when browsing through the forums.

Just wanted to add the fact that Frequency, Amplitude, Guitar Hero 1 & 2 and Rock Band 1 & 2 (Notice Guitar Hero 3 and World tour are NOT in this list) are all made by Harmonix. They are a small (well... getting bigger, but still "small" compared to monsters like EA and Activision) game company that was founded by two MIT grads that wanted to bring music to more people through video games. They are definitely accomplishing their goal.

My girlfriend is listening to music more critically after playing through Guitar Hero and Rock Band since she now pays a bit more attention to the different parts. Also it's a wondering site-reading/coordination tool. Of course playing these games is not like playing the real instrument. There's no groove/feeling, but even so playing Drums on expert in Rock Band 1/2 is still cool, especially for friends of mine that have never played drums before :)

Anyway just wanted to point out how cool it was someone mentioned Amplitude since it was made by the same people.

On a side note if you like synthpop music (I know it's a weird taste) you should check out Freezepop. They have music in all of Harmonix's current games since one of the three members is an audio engineer for Harmonix. Both band members commonly play key-tars and one often brings out an old Yamah QY70 (I think it's called) and uses that on stage. If they were drummers I would have pointed them to zendrum a while ago :)

total noobie

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:16:40 AM »

This guy does it with sticks, and he obviously has a lot of free time to perfect his craft. 

http://gizmodo.com/5100045/crazy-guy-beats-guitar-hero-3-using-drums

jeff sanders

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »

This guy does it with sticks, and he obviously has a lot of free time to perfect his craft. 

whoa thats impressive. i had no idea the game could even track notes at that speed. the dude playing is incredible.  thanks for sharing

TheSteve

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »

wow, that's just about all you can say about that.....WOW.

Safe to say that dude could whoop me at guitar hero !

Half of that song is hammer-on / pull off and he manages to hit 90%  !!

Kelsin

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »

I was slightly late to work today due to watching this, luckily at Berklee I just forwarded this along in my "Going to be slightly late" email. Pretty awesome. That guy has his paradiddles down pat :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up