Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Tools Culture review  (Read 2071 times)

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Yellow Tools Culture review
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »

I bought Yellow Tools Culture back in October on the recommendation of David Kuckhermann, and have been waiting (impatiently) for the mac ub release.  It came out two days ago, and I am having a blast.

I was looking for world percussion that sounded great, and for the most part I am not dissappointed.

I will be the first person to admit I am a djembe snob.  I have been building and playing djembes for almost 15 years, and I have heard the whole gamut of great to bad to awful.  I love the djembes in Culture.  They sound the most authentic of any djembe sample I have heard. They have captured the sounds of a good drum played by a skilled player.  Bass, tone, slap, muff, flams, fx, and touches!  If you're a djembe player you'll appreciate that.

Other instruments I am digging right now are the tablas, udus, and Taiko drums.  The taiko are only the big hits on two big drums, but boy are they fun, especially if you can turn it up and jam.  The congas are ok...not superb, but I haven't gotten in there and tweaked them to my liking yet...I haven't had to tweak anything else so far.

There is a  9gb of world percussion in culture.  Go to Yellow Tools site and you can see the list.

With this new release, Yellow Tools offered up their Independence player for free to registered users.  The interface is easy to use, and moving sounds around the keyboard is a snap.  You can put in as many layers as you want.  I had a mapping of Taiko, tablas, shekere, and djembe on the Zen.  The hardest part is figuring out where you want to put things.  I know the Independence player has some powerful features, I just haven't had time to explore them.

It is not a standalone player, so I opened it in Ableton Live, and was running the patch and it was using about 20% of my cpu.  I have a macbook dual core 2.0 ghz with 2 gigs of ram.  There are also tweaked patches YT calls Origami, and they sound good, but they can really tax your cpu, if you are running multiple layers.  I had to increase my buffer to 1024....but Origami is not a feature I have to use, so I'm not worried about it.  There are also some effects presets that you can dial in easily....try the "cathedral" on the taikos, don't break your amp though.  Culture, like all of YT's products is protected with the YT dongle.  Don't forget to figure that in to the cost, because it is a seperate purchase.

So right now, I am feeling pretty happy.  My search for djembes, tablas , and taikos is over, and I've been jamming all day.

Raven

"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

timecutter

Re: Yellow Tools Culture review
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »

Thanks for posting this Raven - I've been eager to hear more about YT Culture.  I'm very curious how you're laying out your djembe & tabla sounds on the zen; I've been experimenting with various layouts.  Folks have posted various layouts for drum set on the zen, but not hand drum / percussion setups - it would be cool to see what other hand drummers are doing.  I've been experimenting with the djembe demo from Flying Hand among other things. 

You say that for the most part you're not dissappointed - but is there something dissappointing you about YTC?   

Peace & harmony,
Mark

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »

Mark,

Not really dissappointed, but would have liked killer congas.....however, I just added some small reverb and they are popping out nicely now.  With some more tweaking I think they'll be great. Also a midi learn for the zen would be nice, with their mapping plan it just takes a little time to map.  I understand why they have a dongle, but with only two usb ports, I can't have my mouse, the dongle and a midi keyboard..but I can get a usb hub to add more ports. All in all I am quite satisfied.  I'll see if I can post a map of where I put the sounds., I'm still playing with them though.

raven
Kurt Vonnegut

total noobie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

This sounds exactly what the doctor ordered for this noobie.  Along with regular rock drum capabilities, I am very interested in having djembe and tabla sounds to play when I save up enough nickels to outfit myself with a zendrum and accessories. 

So I am still deciding what to use as a sound source. 

Here is my question:  To utilize Yellow Tools Culture do I need to be playing my Zendrum through a computer, or can I buy the program and download these sounds to a module of choice?  Perhaps the TD-20 has this capability?  Or other reccommendations? 

Don (AKA confused total noobie)   

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:47:56 PM »

Don,

Yellow Tools Culture is a vst, so it requires a computer and a host program, it is not a standalone. I also think the receptor runs vst's, but others would know for sure.

Raven
Kurt Vonnegut

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »

This sounds exactly what the doctor ordered for this noobie.  Along with regular rock drum capabilities, I am very interested in having djembe and tabla sounds to play when I save up enough nickels to outfit myself with a zendrum and accessories. 

So I am still deciding what to use as a sound source. 

Here is my question:  To utilize Yellow Tools Culture do I need to be playing my Zendrum through a computer, or can I buy the program and download these sounds to a module of choice?  Perhaps the TD-20 has this capability?  Or other reccommendations? 

The Roland TD-20 has no capability to import sounds that I know about...  The Roland SPD-S does have that capability; so, it's at least possible if the sound file formats are *.wav or *.aiff.   I own an SPD-S, but have not attempted to trigger sounds from the ZD. 

Ken

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »

You can use the BFD Turbo Receptor.  It includes the BFD engine and the Jazz & Funk and Percussion expansion packs.  It acts like a module.  You can upgrade it any way that you want.  www.the-freddy.com for more details.
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

total noobie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »

Thanks again for all of the advice.  This is a great forum community.

Since I don't even know if I will be able to hold a beat, I don't want to put up the kind of $$ to start.  I will probably get my zen and a lower cost module to start.  However, I don't want to spend $500 for a module then get sick of it 6 months down the line.  I was just hoping to be able to play some rock drum kits as well as hand percussion sounds.  For all I know the TD 20 has plenty of both for me to enjoy years of playing.

I am also very aware that I could easily overwhelm myself with too much tech stuff at the beginning, and subsequently not use my zen. 

Cheers all,
Don

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »

This is a great forum community.

Amen, Brother Don!
Play nice.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 06:27:48 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

I use a TD-20 and have been very satisfied with it.  It can do almost anything (except import sounds), but the collection of sounds init, plus the availability of the VXpressions chips available make it a very flexible and portable unit.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up