Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming release, plus road map  (Read 2161 times)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Upcoming release, plus road map
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

Hello, I wanted to take a moment to talk about the next few planned releases of ZenEdit and to solicit ideas from the community.

I should warn you up front that this posting will have a lot of MIDI speak.  If your eyes glaze over during discussions of MIDI status messages, or if you could care less what the difference between a bit and byte is, then feel free to skip over these parts.

There are currently 3 planned releases (milestones)., and barring any problems or hold ups, they are to be:
2.0 (product overhaul, many new features)
2.1 (focus on 3.0 Zendrum support)
2.2 (focus on melodic features.)

2.0 Release
2.0 is expected to be released as an automatic update within the next month or two.  It's outward appearance has not changed much however under the hood it's been revamped to better expose more Z4 features.

The main new feature that people seem eager to get their hands on is support for changing note duration (for melodic playing).  Note duration is defined as the amount of time that is allowed to elapse between the MIDI Note ON and Note OFF messages that are transmitted when you strike a trigger. The Zendrum factory setting is 10 milliseconds, which is to say any melodic note you play is equivalent to holding down a key for 100th of a second -- that's not very long, and certainly not suitable for any serious musical performance.

With 2.0, you'll be able to tell ZenEdit, "for these triggers I'll be playing half notes at 120 bpm".  ZenEdit will then do the math for you and set the note durations accordingly.  You can also mix and match durations within the same setup, it's not a one-size-fits-all thing.

Other new 2.0 features include the ability to change the MIDI Status Message types for any triggers or controls.  Triggers are no longer limited to only sending Note ON/OFF, they can now do things like transmit Change Control or Channel Pressure messages.  Likewise your other controls aren't stuck being Change Controllers, but can now do things like Pitch Bend.

2.0 also has improved controls for calibrating individual triggers, an integrated Help system, the ability to rearrange User Setups and a slew of other improvements.

2.1 Release
The next major version of ZenEdit will be focusing on adding support for older 3.x boards.  These Zendrums don't have nearly the same amount of features as the more modern Z4s, however there are still a large number of people that have not yet upgraded and ZenEdit can certainly add support for them, however limited it may be.  When you're ready to upgrade to a Z4 board, ZenEdit will also be able to convert your old 3.x sysex files so that you can keep your old settings.

2.2 Release
The next version of ZenEdit is currently planned to focus on features to better support melodic playing.
Exactly what all this will entail is still up in the air and I'm hoping to get some more input from those of you in the trenches (or orchestra pits as it were).

I myself have a couple ideas which I will try to lay out here.

The ZenEdit "note picker" (when in melodic mode) currently allows you to enter in notes by name.  It also has a virtual 88-key keyboard that you can use for selecting notes.  These are a good start however it occurred to me that it might be too flexible.  Rarely do you want the ability to select arbitrary notes but rather you probably are only interested in notes from a certain key or scale.

So one idea is to add some features to the note picker to aid in selecting notes.  The toolbar at the top could have controls to select the scale type and the root tonic (and possibly the octave).  The keyboard would then highlight only those keys that appear on that particular scale.  The note list below could also be made to filter on that information.  So this way for instance, if you know the song you are setting up will be in C-Major, you can tell ZenEdit that and it will help you locate the notes that will probably be most relevant to what you are working on.

Now, obviously for advanced musicians, having this feature probably isn't a big deal.  But, acknowledging that most Zendrummers are also drummers who may not have a lot of music theory under their belt, then this might be an exciting feature.  I'll lump myself in that latter category in fact.  While I consider myself to be a semi-professional musician, nearly 100% of my time has been spent beating out rhythms and not hammering out melodies.  I know just enough music theory to understand how things work and are put together (and just enough to be dangerous) but I'm certainly no whiz.  I can definitely see the benefit of playing arpeggios and bass lines on the Zendrum though, and am exploring this area and at the same time trying to blaze a path for others who've dared not travel yet.

In working through this idea of showing scales on the note picker, I started to think about ways to take this even further.  If someone is mapping intervals from a given scale onto their Zendrum, then isn't it safe to say that this is something they may do quite regularly?  Wouldn't it be likely that for one User Setup they are playing a phrase in say D-Minor while on another they are C-Major?  How could I make it easier to transpose these triggers per song/setup?

One possible solution is to introduce a new concept of key mapping.  ZenEdit already uses a mapping scheme for drums.  For instance you might have one trigger mapped to kick and another to snare.  What if for melodic triggers you had the capability to map to specific scale intervals?  For instance the 4 large triggers along the bottom of the ZX, what if those could be mapped to the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th intervals, irrespective of key -- and then much like you can change drum kits on a module and that kick is still mapped to a kick, if you were to change scales, those triggers mapped to those intervals just automatically change as well.

So the somewhat fleshed out idea is this:
1) For any given setup, you can assign up to 5 scales (just to keep things reasonable).
2) In the main UI, you'd enter into a special 'melodic editing mode' which would replace the editing panes at the bottom with a graphical layout of the 5 scales and their 8 notes for each.
3) A color coding scheme would show any triggers that are currently mapped to any notes on these scales.  Possibly it would draw lines between the triggers and notes too.
4) The user would somehow be able to map certain triggers to intervals on these scales, by dragging and dropping for instance.
5) For each of these 5 virtual scales, the user could change the type, base tonic and octave.  Doing so would cause any mapped triggers to automatically update.

By using such a scheme it seems it would make it easier for the melodic drummer to be able to layout notes on the Zendrum and to be able to change keys without having to individually edit each trigger. At least, that's the basic idea behind this mapping of scale intervals.

Anyhow, those are the ideas for the near future releases of ZenEdit.  If you have any ideas or comments of your own, I'd love to hear them!

-darin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:45:47 AM by DrumWagon »
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Upcoming release, plus road map
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:59 AM »

I got to say that you are really opening up some doors on what you can do with the Zendrum.  Thanks for what you are doing, I am looking forward to the next releases.  I think those with the Z3 board are going to jump on the Zenedit wagon as well and utilize the features you are giving them.  There are people out there with more than one Zendrum and may not be able to upgrade all of them from the Z3 to the Z4, at least now they can benefit from your hard work.

Thanks,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Rob!

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

The best part is that it will be logically built and practical to use and thoroughly supported by the author.
Darin knows exactly why these ideas are important from the inside out because he IS a longtime Zendrummer.
Thanks for all the brain cells and the hard work to advance the art of Zendrumming.
Kudos! You are amazing.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »

Ah shucks, you're making me blush :D

Thanks a bunch, that post really made my week.

-dk

Ask me about:

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »

Hey Darin, it looks like you're turning an awesome product into a sublime offering. Looking forward to seeing these and finding all the stuff I don't understand.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »

Wow... I mean... WOW !

Darin, you are out really adding to the zendrum mystique, lol! Nice stuff coming, I am really looking forward to seeing the changes. As always, you end up providing way more than what we expect. Nice job man!

~Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:11:37 AM »

Here is a question about the note duration, can you make it have the abilty to play the note, sustain it, then turn it off when another note/trigger is selected?  In other words, I play an F, but want it to play for 2 measures, then play a C and the F stops playing.  If you set the duration of the note, it would depend on the tempo of the song, if you are playing the song slower than usual, the note would shut off before you wanted it to.  Just curious if that is doable....is that a word???

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »

No, the Zendrum has no such feature.  Once the duration is set, that's that.

We already kicked that one to death in this thread:  http://zendrum.com/forums/index.php?topic=3598.0

Ask me about:

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »

Hi Darin!
I had thought I'd read in another thread that the concept of pitch bend wasn't supported by the Zendrum's circuit board. If you've found a way around this, then that is a really cool development.

I have two CC control knobs on my ZX. If I were to assign pitch bend to one of them in ZenEdit, how would it be sent via MIDI, since the knobs don't snap back to a 0 position? Would the pitch just stay where the knob is set to, or would it return to 0 once the knob is no longer sending values?

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »

My guess is that it would stay where the knob is set to.  You would have to turn the know all the way back to 0, other wise it would be sending the same value every time.  At least that is how my mind would think it would work.

Rob

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

Yes, the next version adds support for a number of new MIDI message types including Channel Pressure, Program Change and Pitch Bend.

When properly calibrated, your knob can transmit values from 0-127.  Pitch bend is a little different than other message types in that its values are composed of two bytes (actually only 7 bit numbers or 14 bits altogether).  The Zendrum however appears to correctly transmit these two byte values, ranging from 0 to 16383 rather than 0 to 127.

If you were using a true CC control that popped back to the center position when released, then that "zero" position would have a value of 8192 (halfway to the max of 16383).  For your knob, this is the equivalent of positioning it at the halfway mark.  Values left of that reduce the pitch, going right raises it.  Changing the polarity of the knob reverses this direction.  Using a knob though, you'll have to rely on feel or your ears to get back to the center position.

If pitch bend is something you think you'll do a lot of and accuracy is important, then it might be fruitful to talk to David and his engineers about coming up with a different control than the knob, something more akin to a traditional pitch wheel.  Though something with a lower profile that is nearly flush mounted might be better as it'd be less likely to get broken off.  Like a low profile analog stick.

HTH
-dk

Ask me about:

wb_drumz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »

Wow, Incredible....note duration and Pitch bend...excellent.

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »

Darin, pretty cool. I'm looking forward to getting my ZenEdit copy... finances haven't been the best recently, but I should have some money freed up soon for it.

The keyboardist in the band I'm a part of has a Roland keytar that has a sensor where you can just move your finger over it (I don't even think you need to touch it) to create the pitch bend effect. It'd be pretty amazing to have something like that on the Zendrum.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

I don't feel I'm at liberty to give names, but that's not the first time I've heard about the idea of fitting a ribbon sensor onto a Zen.  It would not surprise me in the least to hear that someone hasn't already tried this on a prototype.

The only thing really standing in its way is that the factory default settings for everything but the trigger pads is set to transmit a control change message.  Having a dedicated pitch bend control would require special programming.  ZenEdit 2 of course allows you to set such a control to transmit pitch bend messages, but then that would mean that ZenEdit would be essentially required for any Zendrum that had that ribbon.  That would make for a weird situation for sure.

Ask me about:
Pages: [1]   Go Up