Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latency issues  (Read 644 times)

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Latency issues
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »

So, perhaps I'm doing something wrong here, but here's my problem:  I can play drums smooth, but every few minutes all the sounds just drop out then all smash together at once a few seconds later.  Not so good for when it accents at the wrong time.  I play the zendrum live every week, so this problem needs to go into the abyss.

Here's my set-up:
Garageband
Ezdrummer
I have a separate track customized for each drumset in the same garageband file (maybe it's overcrowded?)
I output to a behringer uca200
I have a Macbook Pro from the year 2011, so hopefully it's not ram, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Latency issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »

Hello,

So many variables here...

But at one venue at which I occasionally play, this was happening to me pretty frequently.  After much frustration and trial-and-error, I found out it was some sort of interference with my WIRELESS.  Phones, WiFi, who knows?  But if I run wired there, I'm golden.  If not... risky.  Same exact symptom: notes stop, and then BOOM, all at once.  Occasional "late" note or two as well.  And that also gives me great cover when I blow a lick- "What? It's my WIRELESS, guys!" (*hiding Zendrum's midi cable behind leg...!)

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »

There is one venue that I play that I cannot use my wireless because they are using 5 wireless mics, 4 wirless in-ear monitor systems, and wi-fi for their computers.  I have had that same thing happen, mainly when I am playing multiple drums at the same time like a snare and crash or kick and crash.  I plug in and the problem is gone.  The other question is how many drum kits do you have loaded into GB?  I have 8 GB of RAM in my MacBook Pro and am using Superior Drummer from ToonTrack, and I can only load 6 SD2 kits into my host before the memory is gone, but the problem I have with overloading the memory is that the entire program shuts down, not a delayed hit, so I am going to guess it is the wireless having interfernece somehow.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »

How much RAM do yo have.  This sounds like a memory buffering issue........
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »

There are indeed some wireless chipsets that have a higher interrupt level than the firewire/usb bus and will cause more DPCs (deferred procedure calls).  This is more prevalent in PC land than mac though.  If you *are* using a PC, LatencyMon is a good tool to use to trace the root cause.  If it does turn out to be DPCs, then turning off your wifi (in the bios) is a good place to start.  I've also heard of people needing to disable their cd/dvd drives as well.  If you've a cpu that uses speedstep tech you'll want to google the best settings to use.  It took a *lot* of tinkering overall to get my pc laptop up to snuff, including ultimately fixing the clock multiplier at a constant value.

Also don't forget the simple stuff like turning off virus/malware protection, indexing services, event logs, etc.  Everything non-essential.

Solving latency issues isn't fun but you'll get there -- just takes doing your research and experimenting.  Good luck!

Oh, and if worse comes to worse you can just buy a Zendrumdrive and forget about it, no tinkering required :)
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up