Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller BFD2 Installer Options  (Read 1178 times)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Smaller BFD2 Installer Options
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »

Has anyone tried using the 'small' or 'medium' installs?  Is the difference in sound quality that noticeable?

I'm starting to think that the 'large' install may be overkill for live performance and I'd like to free up some disk space on my SSD.  Looking for opinions from anyone that's tried the other installer settings.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Smaller BFD2 Installer Options
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »

That would be a good question for Mr. Emrich.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

bluesapostle2

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »

I have thought about getting rid of a lot of the samples that I will never use. I end up using expansion kits like the Yamaha Oak more than a set of older Fibes or Ludwig Vistalites, so why clog up my drive and the selection windows.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »

bluesapostle2, I totally agree.  I use the expansions far more than the core product.

Anyhow, I found some more info on the install types here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/475689-just-re-installed-bfd-bfd2-j-f-percussion-need-some-info-velocity-layers.html

To simulate the different levels, set the max velocity layers to 20 for small, 50 for medium or 128 for large.

I'll roll with that for the next few rehearsals.  If I can't hear a tangible difference through the PAs, I'll probably reinstall with one of the smaller footprints.

◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »

Sorry I missed this.  I have been slammed for the last few months.

I would recommend leaving the instal size at full.  The Zendrum is the only instrument that can really grab all of those velocities.  If you must go down a level, try making up for it by using the Vel -> Amp feature.

My "gig rig" only has what I need for a gig.  No need to have all 1tb of data!  I use that in the studio.

Another thing to point out is the difference in pack sizes.  My packs are not as large as stock and Platinum Samples.  I focus on getting the velocity range correct for the playing response.  Going fro Large to Med will not loose that many samples, but it may knock out some important velocities.  The installer just does some math and grabs the correct amount.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up